Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-3 II w/135mm carl zeiss lens

I am having some trouble...I have attached a 135mm carl zeiss lens with a fotodiox c/y to pk adapter to my new Pentax K-3II. I want to shoot in manual mode and have everything set to manual....how do I get the focus peaking to work and how do I get the cameras light meter to work? Really frustrated. Any and all help would b appreciated. Thanks, Frank

02-07-2016, 12:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this won't answer your question, but IMHO the only way to go with a Contax lens on Pentax is via Leitax: Zeiss Contax lens for Pentax cameras

Michael
02-07-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
this won't answer your question, but IMHO the only way to go with a Contax lens on Pentax is via Leitax: Zeiss Contax lens for Pentax cameras

Michael
so r u saying the fotodiox won't work? then why do they sell it? I am also still confused on the focus peaking...been using the 20-40mm in manual and not sure if I am getting the focus peaking (F.P.) is on.
02-07-2016, 12:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not familiar with that lens or mount but this information might be of use: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html

02-07-2016, 01:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fnflying Quote
so r u saying the fotodiox won't work? then why do they sell it? I am also still confused on the focus peaking...been using the 20-40mm in manual and not sure if I am getting the focus peaking (F.P.) is on.
No he's not saying that, he's just saying Leitax is a much better solution than the adapter. But now that I think about it, the adapter could possibly be problematic if it is non-conductive. Is it black or bare metal? (We want bare metal). More likely you have the more common problem of improper settings -- body must be on M, "aperture ring permitted" setting, etc. See the above link about manual lenses...
02-07-2016, 01:12 PM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

focus peaking or focus confirmation?
02-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
focus peaking...what is focus confirmation

02-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Focus peaking shows areas in focus on the liveview screen. Focus confirmation is the 'beep' and green hex lighting up solid in the viewfinder.
02-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Focus confirmation is when the green hexagon lights up in the view finder. If you have Catch-in-Focus set, and are using a manual focus lens, the shutter will not release unless the green hexagon is lit.

A Leitax replacement mount allows for infinity focus without a corrective element. The corrective element, combined with the short extension, means that the Fotodiox adapter is a short tele-converter.

The other solution is to use the Adaptist Multi-mount to replace the mount on the camera. But doing this on a WR camera makes it less than WR.

The photos of the adapter on the Fotodiox site show the adapter with a non-conductive rear face. This would not have been an issue for the cameras listed as compatible, but starting with the K-30/K-01 it became an issue.
02-07-2016, 01:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The other solution is to use the Adaptist Multi-mount to replace the mount on the camera. But doing this on a WR camera makes it less than WR.
I thought there was a WR version of the Multi-mount.
02-07-2016, 01:47 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I thought there was a WR version of the Multi-mount.
There is a version for WR cameras but it is not sealed.

QuoteQuote:
For Weather Resistant version:
- Weather resistance is reduced at mount area. Do not install this product if weather resistance is required.
- Removal of original Pentax mount ring will be tight due to the weather sealing O-ring at the sides of the ring. Remove with caution.
02-07-2016, 06:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There is a version for WR cameras but it is not sealed.
Ah, thank you. That subtlety had eluded me.
02-07-2016, 08:30 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks everyone, I finally figured it out...thanks again
02-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
actually I do have one more question/issue...I can't seem to get the light meter to work, am I missing something or is this the way it is? Only on manual lenses.
02-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #15
Forum Member

actually I do have one more question/issue...I can't seem to get the light meter to work, am I missing something or is this the way it is? Only on manual lenses.
What do you mean by light meter not working? Using green button in live view with manual lens? If so then for some reason K3 II green button doesn't work in live view with manual lenses.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/299486-k-3-ii-manual-lens-...en-button.html

Greg