Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2016, 06:53 PM   #1

Comments on K-2000 as backup (and size)?

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a K-2000 as a 2nd Pentax DSLR, mainly for a couple of reasons:

- To have a backup DSLR to my K-r
- Maybe as a travel camera?

From reading, the K-2000 is kind of basically equivalent to the K-r, but it doesn't have video capability and it's fairly inexpensive.

I've also read that it's much smaller (but heavier) than the K-r, but the camerasize website doesn't have the K-2000, so I haven't been able to compare it. Has anyone handled both K-r and K-2000 and is the latter really smaller than the K-r?

Thanks,
Jim

02-07-2016, 06:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ohaya Quote
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a K-2000 as a 2nd Pentax DSLR, mainly for a couple of reasons:

- To have a backup DSLR to my K-r
- Maybe as a travel camera?

From reading, the K-2000 is kind of basically equivalent to the K-r, but it doesn't have video capability and it's fairly inexpensive.

I've also read that it's much smaller (but heavier) than the K-r, but the camerasize website doesn't have the K-2000, so I haven't been able to compare it. Has anyone handled both K-r and K-2000 and is the latter really smaller than the K-r?

Thanks,
Jim
The K2000 is about the same size (it uses the same body as the K-x, which is the K-r is based on). It has an older sensor and no live view, so I wouldn't recommend it. You could get a used K-30 for really cheap and make your K-r the backup

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-07-2016, 07:08 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K2000 is about the same size (it uses the same body as the K-x, which is the K-r is based on). It has an older sensor and no live view, so I wouldn't recommend it. You could get a used K-30 for really cheap and make your K-r the backup
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the confirmation about the size. As I said, I read a couple of places that said it was small, but didn't have any way to compare it to my K-r. Frankly speaking, compared to what I've normally carried when travelling (like an old Pana FZ20 and now an FZ200), I find the K-r quite huge. Maybe that (a travel camera) is not a role for which I can use a DSLR.
02-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the confirmation about the size. As I said, I read a couple of places that said it was small, but didn't have any way to compare it to my K-r. Frankly speaking, compared to what I've normally carried when travelling (like an old Pana FZ20 and now an FZ200), I find the K-r quite huge. Maybe that (a travel camera) is not a role for which I can use a DSLR.
I guess it depends on your definition of small! A premium compact sounds like it would be of more interest to you, such as a Sony RX100, Canon 1Gx, etc. You just want to make sure it has a sensor that's at least 1" for good image quality

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-07-2016, 08:15 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi Adam,

I guess it depends on your definition of small! A premium compact sounds like it would be of more interest to you, such as a Sony RX100, Canon 1Gx, etc. You just want to make sure it has a sensor that's at least 1" for good image quality

Adam

02-07-2016, 08:29 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Comparison of K-x and K-r:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

If the K-r is too large to be used as a travel camera, the K-x/m/2000 won't be much of an improvement. Nor will any other DSLR, to be honest. The K-x/m/2000 is only slightly smaller than the K-r., and NOT heavier.
02-07-2016, 08:29 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hi,

I already have a ZS50 (in addition to the FZ200), and generally take the former with me. I wasn't expecting a DSLR as small as those, but was thinking that if there was a Pentax that was smaller than the K-r (I only use that as reference because I have it in-hand), then maybe that might be workable for travel. As I mentioned, additionally, the used K-2000 is really inexpensive now it seems, much less than a used K-30 from what I can find.
02-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #8
Emperor and Senpai

If you want small check out a ks1 as a primary camera and make the Kr your backup.

02-08-2016, 07:40 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-S1 is slightly smaller than the K-x (esp. the grip), but it's still a minor reduction on the K-r. To get significantly smaller, you have to go mirrorless.

(I have a very subjective standard for "small" - will it fit in the right pocket of the camera bag I've been using for over 20 years? The K-r/x/m/2000/01/S1 will; the K-30 won't unless I do something creative with the strap.)
02-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #10
Forum Member

I have a KX, which is coupled to a 28-300 Tamron for travel.

Seems very compact & covers just about everything I want to shoot,
along with the benefit of the KX's well regarded high-ISO capability.
02-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The K2000 seems to get little respect. I've had one, I bought new, back in 2009. It has the same Sony sensor @ 10 something MP as my K10D. I've used my K2000 a lot over the past 7 years and this little baby is like the energizer bunny....it keeps going and going.

I like it because of it's small size and pretty good performance. No it doesn't have video, but I'm a still photographer...so no big deal. I also have an advanced compact Canon G 12 and when I put my 40mm Ltd. pancake lens on the K2000, have noted there is not an appreciable difference in dimensions and the K2000 having the larger ASP-C sensor takes better pics than the Canon G 12.

The K2000 has more advanced features than my older K10D....but is not as advanced as my newer K5. The Km has better high iso performance than my K10D. BTW...all these cameras are really good and I find I still carry and use all of them.

When I look at my 'stable' of DSLR's...K10D, Km, K5...well they're getting long in the tooth, I suppose. But they still do the job and I'm pleased with the result. Can't get any better than that.

Now, the Km as I mentioned is getting older...so maybe the newer KX or Kr is a better choice. Newer = newer technology and in some ways better performance.
02-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
The K2000 seems to get little respect. I've had one, I bought new, back in 2009. It has the same Sony sensor @ 10 something MP as my K10D. I've used my K2000 a lot over the past 7 years and this little baby is like the energizer bunny....it keeps going and going.

I like it because of it's small size and pretty good performance. No it doesn't have video, but I'm a still photographer...so no big deal. I also have an advanced compact Canon G 12 and when I put my 40mm Ltd. pancake lens on the K2000, have noted there is not an appreciable difference in dimensions and the K2000 having the larger ASP-C sensor takes better pics than the Canon G 12.

The K2000 has more advanced features than my older K10D....but is not as advanced as my newer K5. The Km has better high iso performance than my K10D. BTW...all these cameras are really good and I find I still carry and use all of them.

When I look at my 'stable' of DSLR's...K10D, Km, K5...well they're getting long in the tooth, I suppose. But they still do the job and I'm pleased with the result. Can't get any better than that.

Now, the Km as I mentioned is getting older...so maybe the newer KX or Kr is a better choice. Newer = newer technology and in some ways better performance.
Since you have a K2000, does it have a "green button"? I think the pics I've seen show there's a button next to the shutter button, but it has a "?" on it?
02-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Since you have a K2000, does it have a "green button"? I think the pics I've seen show there's a button next to the shutter button, but it has a "?" on it?
I have one as well. It does not have a green button. The "?" button was a help button, to display more info about menu choices. For pre-A lenses, you can still do manual metering (aka "green button metering") using the AE/AL button on the back.
02-09-2016, 06:28 AM   #14
Pentaxian

It does have an extra button on it with a ? on it. It will tell, when pushed, the purpose of different settings such as AV, etc...or you can re-purpose it, which I've done.
02-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I don't know why the K2000/K-m is often described as in many respects similiar to the K-x.
In fact, it is a slightly stripped down K200D.

The main difference is the missing WR, and that it does not support a battery grip. These two modifications allowed for a smaller and lighter plastic body (but it also feels cheaper). But what's inside the body, is identical with the K200D. As it came later, it also has a slightly increased max frame rate in C shooting mode.