Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2016, 08:34 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never seen photography explained so perfectly in one picture....

this is absolutely BRILLIANT!! If you want to learn photography, study this; a GREAT place to start.

Cheers,
Cameron

02-09-2016, 08:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

<noob reaction>
So, a larger F number makes mountains disappear, slower shutter speed makes things move so fast they become a blur - more ISOs make it snow?
</noob reaction>

Kidding of course. To those who know what it means, it is a nice pictograph.
02-09-2016, 08:50 PM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

Perhaps it explains the way cameras work so perfectly, but not necessarily the art of photography. Just my two cents
02-09-2016, 09:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The problem with the table is if you read it in columns, not rows. You might think f/32 would give you a high shutter speed and low sensitivity...

02-09-2016, 09:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
The problem with the table is if you read it in columns, not rows. You might think f/32 would give you a high shutter speed and low sensitivity...
My first thought too. It would have been more educational if the shutter speed row been inverted.
I would also prefer if f-numbers been written correctly (FI f/32 instead of F32).

Last edited by Fogel70; 02-09-2016 at 09:56 PM.
02-09-2016, 10:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

So if I understand correctly, reading from left to right, when the aperture is the smallest, the shutter speed is the fastest and iso is the lowest making the image sharp. But when the aperture is maximum (large aperture), the shutter speed has to be very slow and iso very high? Am I correct?
02-09-2016, 10:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
If you want to learn photography, study this; a GREAT place to start.

Great little Prop for the Mechanics of Photography for those starting out.- simple - easy to read. I see you can buy stuff with it printed on. Neat give- aways for the $$ Players in Photography. The beginners will have to stay away from the Interrupters on this forum though or the simple lines will become blurred.

02-09-2016, 11:00 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah its pretty good. Personally I think the running man scale should have been in the opposite direction (fast shutter to right) which would have associated fast shutter with biggest aperture.

For a laugh f32 image should have been blurry too!
02-09-2016, 11:18 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Revised 2nd edition available - original download link

Actually, there's a revised 2nd edition of that cheatcard around that addresses a number of issues that had been raised about earlier versions. What some posters seem to overlook is that the diagram does not aim to be a complete substitute for the classic exposure triangle, but is rather intended to make some basic truths about how each of the three parameters affects image look/quality accessible to newbies. And that it does in a pretty neat way, I'd say:

Name:  CheatcardV2_90x50mm_en.jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  414.5 KB

Kostenloser Download: Foto Cheatcard für Fotografen | Fotoblog Hamburg

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 02-10-2016 at 04:39 AM.
02-10-2016, 06:17 AM   #10
a5m
Veteran Member

I don't see a difference, that one looks exactly the same as the one posted by OP...

Obviously this card is meant for those who have absolutely no idea about how cameras like DSLRs work. I remember I didn't understand how aperture affected the DOF when i first got started. Something like this would have helped a lot.

Like others have mentioned the way it's arranged needs to be edited because it may be implying you need faster shutter speeds with smaller f-stops which is completely opposite in theory.
02-10-2016, 06:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Looks good to me.....I can understand it, so it is plenty simple. The only fault is that it should have been a squirrel instead of a man to make it more realistic.

Regards!
02-10-2016, 06:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If you flip the Shutter row to balance the Aperture row, you'd probably want to do the same with the ISO row or people might think ISO 25600 is a good idea if you want to shoot at f/1.4. But then the ISO row won't balance the Shutter row (since they've both been flipped), so flip the Shutter row back. Only now the Shutter row doesn't balance the Aperture row again, so we'd better flip the Aperture row too. Hrmm, where am I now?

A background gradient, darker on the left fading to light as you go right, might get the idea across that the rows are arranged in the same direction regarding each variables effect on the exposure (edit- quick example below).
Attached Images

Last edited by BrianR; 02-10-2016 at 06:44 AM.
02-10-2016, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

For those having difficulty with SIMPLE travel back to your days in School in particular Grade 2 Reading

Read Left to Right
Read Lines Top to Bottom ( 3 lines - Aperture ,Shutter, ISO)
Don't pick your nose while doing so

02-10-2016, 07:39 AM   #14
Pentaxian

It's nice, but it's not everything you need to know about photography.

You might want to know something about composition.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/313691-c...ze-images.html

Last edited by normhead; 02-10-2016 at 07:58 AM.
02-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
So if I understand correctly, reading from left to right, when the aperture is the smallest, the shutter speed is the fastest and iso is the lowest making the image sharp. But when the aperture is maximum (large aperture), the shutter speed has to be very slow and iso very high? Am I correct?
Nope, all three go from "less light" to "more light" (left to right), even though ISO doesn't affect the actual exposure (quantity of light) per se, rather what is done with it (how much it is amplified).