Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2016, 06:17 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
Great stuff! It's nice to see some good thought put into explaining effective composition. All I ever hear photographers talk about in terms of composition is the rule of thirds. There's a whole slew of design fundamentals that they ignore by keeping to just the rule of thirds.
The rule of thirds is such a small portion of the picture. It's one little part of one section.

02-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Norm, thanks for posting this. My photo club held a 4-hour composition workshop a couple of Saturdays ago, and a lot of the things discussed in the magazine you posted were also covered in the workshop. I learned a lot from the magazine and the workshop. Now I hope I can remember "most" of it.
02-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
There's a whole slew of design fundamentals that they ignore by keeping to just the rule of thirds.
Rule of thirds is one of the cruelest things to have ever been suggested to photographers and other graphic artists. (IMHO)

Steve
02-11-2016, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Rule of thirds is one of the cruelest things to have ever been suggested to photographers and other graphic artists. (IMHO)

Steve
The rule of thirds is 1 of 16 "guidelines" which are not exactly rules, but mild suggestions, but there's a lot of people who act like it is a rule, and it's the only one. I suspect because it's the easiest.

Using lines and curves to draw the eye to the subject is often possible. It's also quite effective, if you're not considering how to incorporate lines or circles and curves etc. into you image, the rule of thirds by itself isn't going to save you.

Last edited by normhead; 12-24-2016 at 03:16 PM.
02-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Some people have a natural eye for composition. From experience I don't, but having looked at thousands of images here I begin to compose naturally now - at least simple compositions. What's striking to me is when I'm just walking or driving around not 'looking for' anything and a scene snaps into my consciousness as something that should be photographed.

Now if I always had a camera with me. . . .
04-21-2016, 05:20 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Some people have a natural eye for composition. From experience I don't, but having looked at thousands of images here I begin to compose naturally now - at least simple compositions. What's striking to me is when I'm just walking or driving around not 'looking for' anything and a scene snaps into my consciousness as something that should be photographed.

Now if I always had a camera with me. . . .
As far as I know Pop Photography has never done a "Have a functional camera with you at all times." article , or I'd post it.