Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Need help deciding

So recently, I found my wonderful, trusty K-30 had fallen prey to the phantom aperture defect. I know its rather unrecoverable based on the threads I've read, so I'm going to pick up a new camera. I'm trying to figure out which to get. I can get a K-3 on Amazon for $600 but, I've also seen a K-5iis on KEH for just over $400. I'm having a hard time deciding which is better for me. I don't do a lot of video which leads me to the K5iis. However, when I do shoot video, I'd like the ability to shoot in 24p which means the K-3. Also, I really like that I could tether the K-5 with PKTether. I know the K-3 has the flu card but, I prefer wired tethering based on the reviews of said flu card. Again, the times I would tether the camera are very limited. These are such small considerations, its really a wash. What I really want is a tank of a camera that will be problem free. Anyone have any opinions? I have some reservations about the mirror flop issues with the K-3 but it seems like this has been resolved for the most part.

Last edited by Navmaxlp; 02-11-2016 at 05:32 PM.
02-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #2
OTH

You could use PktriggerCord for tethering instead. This supports the K-3.
02-11-2016, 06:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What type of warranty is offered for the K-5 and do they give you the shutter count? Price seems pretty high for a used K-5iis unless it has an extrememly low shutter count.
02-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
What type of warranty is offered for the K-5 and do they give you the shutter count? Price seems pretty high for a used K-5iis unless it has an extrememly low shutter count.

I can't find anywhere on the KEH page where it lists anything specific to the camera like shutter count. The only thing indicated is a condition rating. They have 1 Like new, 1 EX+ and 1 EX. Price ranges from $418 for the EX to $449 for the Like New. Everything else there is generic info about the K-5iis. all warranties seem to be 180 days. I've never bought from KEH but I've heard nothing but good things about them here on the forum.

02-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I had a K5 and bought the K3. The K3 is a definite upgrade. Go with it.
02-12-2016, 06:18 AM   #6

I would sure go for the K-S2 if I have to buy now.
It has too many advantages like flip screen, wifi (even if it might be slow), small size, less weight.
Below are the features of KS-2 that are very attractive to me - taken below straight from the review:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Another novelty introduced with the K-S2 is "Clarity Enhancement" — a RICOH-developed imaging technology designed to capture the subject’s texture and unevenness more truthfully and produce a more true-to-life depiction of the subject. There is also a new mode on the mode dial: A-HDR (Advanced HDR), which combines the Clarity Enhancement with the conventional HDR mode for capturing extra-wide-gradation images.

The K-S2 has no AA filter in front of the sensor, and it has the same AA sensor-share based filter simulator as the K-3. The filter simulator can be turned on if moiré is an issue in a given scene (textiles, feathers, and the like with repeating patterns).