Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #1

Help to buy a K-3 ii ??

HI there guys,

I want to upgrade from a k-x to a k-3 ii, i was searching and found some "bundles" with extra some things for the same price just for one body, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZGRZG1K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_a...A36VT43W2I07N0

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZJQLLI0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_a...=ALAQLAKJ574UN

the description says, (Body Only) (16160), this models have the power problem in the launch date? how i know if they going to have some issues?

last question that bundles are safe and good to buy coming from a store in amazon, what you recomend me guys?

sorry for my english**

02-11-2016, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need to decide if anything in that "bundle" is worth having. Often (not always) the stuff in the bundle is the cheapest of the cheap and just tossed in to make the deal look better. I did that once, and in fairly quick order tossed in the trash everything that came in the "bundle".

However, if there are things there you can use then sure, but compare price to others as if the "bundle" was not there because you might not really be getting anything you want.

Do a search on those vendors, not through Amazon, and see if they are reputable and if they have any complaints. Think about what happens if you need to return the camera or need service. WIll the vendor handle the return quickly? Is the warranty valid or are these gray market? Compare the price to B&H and Adorama and see if the savings, if any, is worth the risk.

Good luck!
02-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd go with the one that comes with a nice beginner bag that has two batteries and a decent memory card. The other has a cheap tripod that you must not trust. It also has a flash that's probably useless.

Honestly I wouldn't go with either, but I specified what I would get if I had no choice. The two batteries are probably really cheap ones that could not last well. The tripod looks like one that'll break your camera. The flash probably doesn't even do TTL.

Here's what I'd go with, like jatrax above me, I would rather get one from B&H or Adorama. The links you gave both appear to be sketchy and janky. Sure you'll have to spend more, but you're not going to keep that tripod, batteries, and flash very long. If it doesn't have manufacturer warranty then it's totally not worth it.

Spend more on "well-known", it's worth it.

Last edited by LeDave; 02-11-2016 at 09:07 PM.
02-11-2016, 09:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The best place to buy would be from BH or Adorama through these links:
Adorama
BH
Click the link above and then navigate through to the item you want order the item straight away without closing the page.

This'll get you an account upgrade - free!
And a bit of the money will go to this forum!

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I would rather get one from B&H or Adorama.
Yep and from the specific links I posted above

02-11-2016, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ric_cr Quote
HI there guys,

I want to upgrade from a k-x to a k-3 ii, i was searching and found some "bundles" with extra some things for the same price just for one body, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZGRZG1K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_a...A36VT43W2I07N0

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZJQLLI0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_a...=ALAQLAKJ574UN

the description says, (Body Only) (16160), this models have the power problem in the launch date? how i know if they going to have some issues?

last question that bundles are safe and good to buy coming from a store in amazon, what you recomend me guys?

sorry for my english**
I would be cautious buying from any seller that it's an authorized Pentax retailer. Notice how the one you linked:

"For the first 30 days from the date of your purchase, you can return merchandise for a refund or an exchange minus a minimum 15% restocking fee and shipping cost."

Just bear this in mind and know that freebies often aren't free unless you're buying from a reputable store. I'd go with one of the offers that are "fulfilled by Amazon".

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yep, like everybody else says, go to a reputable dealer such as Adorama.

I know on top of a K-3ii, you want a affordable budget tripod, batteries, camera bags, etc. But truth is you get what you pay for. There's no way the links are legit and no way it has manufacturer warranty. The Amazon links appear to have many "junk" offers that are cheaply made and won't last. Would you rather buy the camera alone at Adorama for the same price but with warranty or would you rather have a camera body with no warranty and receive the "junk" that they give you without warranty after it easily breaks? Even possibly a camera body that has a serial number that may be on the list to cause fault. These free "filler" items are going to cause more harm. Imagine the K-3ii you buy has no warranty, and on top, you receive a junk tripod that also has no warranty. See the problem here? That pair is dangerous. A janky tripod made to fall and break your camera from a sketchy dealer that will not cover the camera in case it breaks. Imagine all the other possible ways it may do harm.
02-12-2016, 04:09 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
. . . I'd go with one of the offers that are "fulfilled by Amazon".
Sorry, Adam, but I was burned by this once. (Well, not burned, but "potentially" burned if the lens fails.) I purchased a lens from a vendor through Amazon that was "fulfilled by Amazon" and it was still grey market. Unfortunately it was a 50-135 with SDM. It hasn't failed yet, but if it does, it has no warranty. I thought it was a good price at the time and between the savings and the nuisance of returning it and being charged a restocking fee, I decided to keep it. However this year B&H had that lens for less during the Christmas season! (It was an all-time low price but that didn't make me any happier . . . )

I like Amazon for a lot of things, but they are no more invested in what they sell than any other big-box store, and you have to be doubly careful in their "marketplace."
02-12-2016, 06:08 AM   #8
Forum Member

There is only $30 difference in price from B&H and that is definitely worth it for the peace of mind that you will get the original product, ease of return if you ever had to.
Also, you almost get it the next day from B&H if you ordered by 3pm
Besides, on Amazon you will end up paying sales taxes depending on state you live and so final price from B&H/Adorama might turn out to be lower!

02-12-2016, 06:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Grey market isn't so bad as long as some type of warranty is offered or can be purchased. Both B&H and Adorama sell grey market items listing those as such, both offer their company warranty usually with those purchases. Also they offer 2nd party warranty's for purchases outside of their company. Grey market years ago was a real problem but I personally don't see it as such today as long as one is buying from a reputable source.

For the OP, SSE has reasonable reviews but A. As Adam mentioned this is not an item fulfilled by Amazon so I would be wary. B. Also as Adam mentioned I certainly wouldn't want to have to pay for shipping plus a 15% restock fee for an item that wasn't in good working order. Then on this offer you may find the bag to be really cheap and not have sufficient padding plus the card offered is 40mbs where as the K3 ll can utilize 80mbs plus.

Ok the 2nd offer ..... all of that crap is junk plus the seller 6th Ave Electronics Express so far out of more than 1,235 reviews on resellerratings.com receives a 1 1/2 star rating that alone should tell you not to consider buying anything from them at all.

If your looking for Bundles Or a Body only in that price range Take a look here Digital Cameras | Digital camera made by Canon | Fuji | Minolta | Nikon | Olympus | Pentax
Tri State is an Authorized Pentax dealer. I would add in this price range most of the stuff offered in the bundles isn't up to par especially the SD cards offered for this camera , whereas the much higher pricing from both B&H and Adorama Bundles include quality useful merchandise and the SD cards offered by them is within the speed of the camera, hence the higher pricing.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 02-12-2016 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Added Info:
02-12-2016, 12:51 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
Sorry, Adam, but I was burned by this once. (Well, not burned, but "potentially" burned if the lens fails.) I purchased a lens from a vendor through Amazon that was "fulfilled by Amazon" and it was still grey market. Unfortunately it was a 50-135 with SDM. It hasn't failed yet, but if it does, it has no warranty. I thought it was a good price at the time and between the savings and the nuisance of returning it and being charged a restocking fee, I decided to keep it. However this year B&H had that lens for less during the Christmas season! (It was an all-time low price but that didn't make me any happier . . . )

I like Amazon for a lot of things, but they are no more invested in what they sell than any other big-box store, and you have to be doubly careful in their "marketplace."
Yup, I should have clarified- "fulfilled by amazon" does not guarantee warranty coverage, but it's more likely. You have to research the dealers individually.

Items "shipped and sold my Amazon.com" should never be grey market.

And of course, you can't go wrong with B&H. They can't match grey market prices, of course, but they're usually as competitive as can be for an authorized dealer.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #11

Original Poster
thanks a lot to all for the comments, im going to buy one bundle in the page Tri-State Camera n.n
02-19-2016, 04:57 PM   #12

Not to thread steal here because I am also looking for a k3 ii now.

Would ti be so bad to say buy a grey market camera on amazon if you plan on buying something like the exteneded square trade warranty anyways?

I dont feel its very likely my next camera will fail in a year when the pentax warrenty would cover me, more likely to happen just after.

I spot with a rioch rep at my local camera store today, they had an anniversary sale so had reps fro everything they old, and even with him, and explaining the age of my k50 and how it died, the best they could do was match B&H pricing on a new camera if I bought a lens with it. He told me pentax no longer has an extended warrenty but I should look at a mack one. I go to their website and cant figure out a way to order one and theres no stores listen in washington.

So Im left with buying a k3ii online and some other warrenty any suggestions on warrenties as well as an answer to if you need to worry about grey market if you buy one?
02-19-2016, 06:30 PM   #13
Pentaxian

wrong, B&H, Adorama & Tri State all have the Pentax extended warranties available.
02-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
wrong, B&H, Adorama & Tri State all have the Pentax extended warranties available.
Pentax 2-Year Extended Warranty for Pentax and Ricoh 85716 B&H I didn't think the Rioch rep would have lied.
02-20-2016, 01:26 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Pentax Extended Warranty ENTWARRANTY-ENTRYMIDILC B&H Photo Video
Pentax Extended Warranty for Advanced ADVWARRANTY-ADVILC B&H
Something has changed but they do still have an extended warranty. But price is now much higher. And there is one for "advanced" cameras with an MSRP above $1,000. Which I guess right now would be the K-1. It says excluding 645d & 645z.

---------- Post added 02-20-16 at 12:27 PM ----------

The one you linked to is the old one that has been in place for years and clearly is discontinued now.