Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2016, 11:37 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
'Family Tree' of Pentax Digital K-Mount Cameras?

Before I try to track things down, has anyone already created a family tree of Pentax digital, K-mount cameras? I lose track of what are upgrades of what and which follow upper and lower lines. The Pentax labelling of the cameras certainly doesn't help!
What I'm thinking of is something like the oldest at the top working down to the newest.
The more basic lines to the left and advanced to the right. As an example:

K-x
K-r
K-30
K-500 .K-50

(This could all be done up nicely in something as simple as PowerPoint, but you get the idea.)
Thanks!

02-11-2016, 11:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter

They are listed in the Pentax Forums here: Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Each are listed as they were produced with date included. This could help create the tree.
02-12-2016, 12:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Pentax_digital_interchangeable_lens_cameras
02-12-2016, 02:07 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here's a quick-and-dirty list off the top of my head, from newest to oldest, with variants / derivatives on the same line.

Advanced

• K-1
  • K-3 -> K-3 II
  • K-5 -> K-5 II & K-5 IIs
  • K-7
  • K20D
  • K10D
  • *ist D
Mid-Range
  • K-S2
  • K-30 -> K-50
  • K200D
  • K100D -> K100D Super
  • *ist DS -> *ist DS2
Entry-Level
  • K-S1
  • K-500
  • K-x -> K-r
  • K-m/K2000
  • K110D
  • *ist DL -> *ist DL 2

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks Adam!
I've been wondering this for a long time.
The names make it so confusing to work out
02-12-2016, 11:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you, Adam! That is very helpful.
That explains why it was such a wonderful improvement for me when I went from my K-x to the K-30. I wasn't just getting the evolved camera, I was also jumping up a line.
02-12-2016, 08:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is interesting how much sense the Pentax model numbers do not make. It seems they just pick a number or letter out of the air and put it behind a K. Like their marketing -- apparently no rhyme or reason.
02-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #8
mee
Site Supporter

This is really all you need and explains everything Adam typed out manually. (sorry, Adam)

02-12-2016, 08:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That is most excellent! Exactly what I wanted. Thanks.
02-13-2016, 01:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Nice list, but IMO there are some inconsistencies.

- I would place *ist DS/DS2 in mid range as they have pentaprisms, and more advanced AF than on *ist DL/DL2
- I would place K100D/K100DS in entry level, just as K110D. The only difference between them is that K110D is missing shake reduction, They are basically a new generation of the *ist DL/DL2.
- I would place K-S1 as an entry level camera.

It also seem a little strange to divide between "professional", "high end" and "advanced".That is one category too much IMO.
02-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Nice list, but IMO there are some inconsistencies.

- I would place *ist DS/DS2 in mid range as they have pentaprisms, and more advanced AF than on *ist DL/DL2
- I would place K100D/K100DS in entry level, just as K110D. The only difference between them is that K110D is missing shake reduction, They are basically a new generation of the *ist DL/DL2.
- I would place K-S1 as an entry level camera.

It also seem a little strange to divide between "professional", "high end" and "advanced".That is one category too much IMO.
It is wikipedia, you can change it if you want...
02-13-2016, 08:52 AM   #12
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
True, however, the categories/formatting is standard across all camera brands on wiki. So I'd just leave that alone...
02-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
True, however, the categories/formatting is standard across all camera brands on wiki. So I'd just leave that alone...
I meant the placement of the cameras he didn't like the placement of, not the weird categories
02-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #14
mee
Site Supporter

I meant the placement of the cameras he didn't like the placement of, not the weird categories
Yes, I know and had no issue with that, but I was more ensuring he doesn't touch the categories because those are wiki standard.
02-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I could, but i don't want to.

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Every template seems to be categorized differently. For Canon "enthusiast" is used instead of "high end" and "advanced" and for Canon "mid range" is not used. So for Canon there are 4 categories used, for Pentax 5, and for Nikon 6 (For Pentax the "upper entry" category is not used).

And if mirrorless is included there are even more inconsistencies.

The colors used in the tables are also used completely differently. Green for Pentax is WR, for Nikon FX and for Canon DIGIC 5 / 5+.

Last edited by Fogel70; 02-13-2016 at 09:43 AM.