Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #1
Forum Member

Old school Canon glass and flashes on a K-S2?

Hey all,

I'm a beginner to photography. I own lenses but no camera (haha) but I plan to use a K-S2 with these old lenses:

Pentax Equipment
• Asahi Pentax Takumar 135mm f/3.5 super-multi-coated with hood (M42)
• Asahi Pentax Takumar 28mm f/3.5 super-multi-coated with hood (M42)
• Sigma for Pentax-K 70-150mm f/3.5 multi-coated with macro feature
• Image Auto Zoom PK 80-200mm f/4.5 with macro feature
• Vivitar Auto 2X-1 Custom Teleconverter (M42)
• Pentax M42 genuine adapter

Canon Equipment
• Tokina 80-200mm f/4 RMC C/FD mount
• Image Auto Zoom 28-80mm f/3.5-4.5 MC C/FD mount

Flash Units
• Braun AG Frankfurt/M Hobby F 34R Flash
• Image 16 Slave Flash

My questions are:

1) I would like to use these ancient flashes so I don’t have to purchase new ones. Will they work on the Pentax K-S2? I’m worried they’re going to fry the chip in the camera. I will probably be using these flashes off-camera for macro shots so would an extender cord work and avoid frying the chip? What cord would you suggest? I heard the K-S2 is having issues or is even incompatible with wireless off-camera flash units. Would both infrared and radio triggers not work? What could you suggest to get these flashes working safely off-camera on a K-S2?

2) Is it worth it to get a FD/PK adapter? I found one by Fotodiox (FotodioX Pro Lens Mount Adapter for Canon FD Lens to FD-PK-G B&H). I understand there will be degradation of the pictures. I don’t really feel like I have a use for these lenses but they may be fun to learn and experiment with. Any experience using the FD/PK adapter? Do you think these lenses should be sold to buy newer glass?

3) Anything you can tell me about my equipment? I mainly want to shoot macro flowers, landscapes, field sites, and wildlife. I plan on buying a Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 and Pentax K Extension Tube Kit (~$200 CAD) for some up-close macro work until I can afford a Pentax DA 100mm f/2.8 WR ($650 CAD). I also plan to purchase a Pentax DA-L 55-300 f/4-5.8 for wildlife shots.

Thanks for any tips!

02-12-2016, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1) I would not use those flashes on camera without testing the trigger voltage. 24v or less is usually considered safe. Older flashes often go over 100v. You can use radio triggers such as the Cactus v5 but check the voltage on the flash and the safe voltage on the radio triggers to be sure they are compatible. Personally I would trash them and get a decent Pentax manual flash. Older ones like AF200T or AF280 can be had for $20 - 30. Safe and better IMHO. Note that the K-S2 does not support OPTICAL wireless flash P-TTL, it should work fine with radio flash triggers.

2) Re FD/PK adapter. Short answer is no. Sell the Canon lenses on ebay and buy something for Pentax. It just is not worth the effort when you can get good auto-focus Pentax glass in similar focal lengths for $25 - 50.

3) I'm sure there is a lot people can tell you. So much that I've no idea where to start. Your Takumars are good lenses and will serve you well but you need to read this to understand how they work on modern cameras: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html

Lots of information here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/49283-us...ces-about.html I would suggest reading through this and then ask specific questions to answer things that are not clear.
02-13-2016, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

The Braun flash probably is not safe, but you should always check the trigger voltage yourself to be absolutely sure.

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

For off camera flash the Neewer TT560 is a good choice, costs about $30US on Amazon. Optical slave can be triggered by onboard flash (or even better, see if you can find a Nikon SB-30 on eBay or keh.com). The Neewer has 8 power levels from 1/1 to 1/128 which gives a better range than any manual Pentax flash I know of at a price that's hard to beat.

Last edited by MPrince; 02-13-2016 at 07:04 AM.
02-13-2016, 10:37 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your responses!

02-25-2016, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #5

Hi,

I just got one of the Fotodiox FD-PK adapters. I only have one Canon lens, a 50mm f/1.4.

The adapter works fine, but it is "completely" manual. It has a ring that you can turn to open up the lens so that you can focus, then you turn the ring back to stop down the lens to whatever opening your had preset.

At least for me, I then press the green button to set the exposure, and then I shoot.

I also tried it after removing the glass lens, to do some macro. Long story, but the person I bought this from must've removed it before but they put the ring in upside down, so the indents for the spanner wrench were upside down, and I had a heck of a time getting it out.

Anyway, here's a couple of pics, I think:

With the FD-PK adapter and the 50mm f/1.4:

With the lens removed (macros):

So I'll play a bit of a devil's advocate: If you already have the Canon lenses, and can get the adapter at a good price, go for it. You get both an adapter and an extension tube that'll let you use your old Canon glass for macro work.

Not a bad deal!