Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

K30 issues...

I got a lightly used k30 this week. I use m42 lenses almost exclusively. The camera meters correctly in Av, but when in M the green button won't meter with manual focusing m42 lenses (I use original pentax adapter). I'm pretty sure I've got all of the settings right. The Aperture Ring setting is on 2. The green button settings on k30 aren't as simple as on my kx, but I've tried every possibility in E-dial Programming (Button Customization menus don't address green button functions). Still no change in the metering (shutter speed stays 1/125 when iso=100, 1/250 when iso=200, 1/500 when iso=400, 1/1000 when iso=800). When I put on a pentax-A lens and the camera will meter correctly with green button while in M. Any ideas as to what is happening here?

Also...while trying to solve my problem I put on a pentax-DA. I found that the camera will not auto-focus!! The motor makes a noise but the lens does not respond. I don't use auto focus lenses much, but I'd like them to work if I do.

I have 2 weeks from time of purchase to request refund or replacement. It sounds like I need a replacement k30. Any thoughts....?

02-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Random sugestion: Have you turned auto iso on? You can turn M mode into TAv mode by selecting an Iso range from the iso button in m mode. I don't think manual lenses will work with that set up; you have to set a single iso setting.

I maybe wrong, I don't use manual lenses much, but I do recall being confused by this in the past.
02-13-2016, 02:19 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
Also...while trying to solve my problem I put on a pentax-DA. I found that the camera will not auto-focus!! The motor makes a noise but the lens does not respond. I don't use auto focus lenses much, but I'd like them to work if I do.
Try to wiggle the lens slightly, or take it off and put it back on. It's possible that the AF driveshaft was not properly engaged. If that doesn't help, try cleaning the contacts on both the lens and the camera mount.

QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
The green button settings on k30 aren't as simple as on my kx
Did you program your green button to "Tv Shift"? This is not the default setting on the K-30.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am set to single iso.

---------- Post added 02-13-16 at 03:35 PM ----------

Yes I'm set to Tv shift for green button in E-dial Programming menu.

02-13-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
See this thread, post 7: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/245275-green-button-...-mode-m42.html

"There are a number of threads about M mode metering issues on the K-30, K-50, and K-01 with lenses having non-conductive bases. I have not been able to confirm (don't have the K-30), but if I remember correctly, the solution is to short both the A-contact pin and data pin using thin foil or by sanding off the non-conductive paint/anodizing."

So my understanding is that basically the K30 was made differently and doesn't short out manual lenses, and the non conductive bases on the m42 lenses need to be shorted out to work in M mode. I have this same issue with my m42 takumar, but I find shooting in A mode, setting the front dial to change iso and using exposure comp to adjust the exposure works great. As far as autofocus issues, I agree to try and remount the lens and after attaching it again gently turn the manual focus ring until you feel the lens af screw drive click into place with the cameras af screw drive.

Last edited by stillshot2; 02-13-2016 at 03:04 PM.
02-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the link. I've read through a ton of old threads about the issue, but that particular thread was the most helpful. Several people on that thread were having the exact same trouble I am having--I guess that's good to know. I'll sand off some paint on one my old taks and see how it goes. It seems strange that this process was so simple with the kx.

Regarding the auto focus trouble...I've tried 2 different auto focus lenses, and turned the manual focus ring with both. When I depress the shutter release half way I can hear the auto focus motor, but it doesn't sound normal--it just spins and stutters.

I do not think my two problems are related. The auto focus concerns me a bit...
02-13-2016, 04:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Which af lenses did you try? Do they have quick shift?
02-13-2016, 05:21 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
DA 50 and DA 18-55 kit lens--the focus motor just sort of sputters. I'm beginning to think that I might be better off sending the camera back for an exchange. This auto focus problem seems serious. Regarding my metering problem...I sanded down a small amount of paint from a lens, but did not get a meter response.

02-13-2016, 06:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Yeah I'd send it back then. Hope you have better luck with the next camera!