Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 06:37 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Date and time issues with Pentax K100D Super camera

Hello,

I do have a problem with this camera maintaining the date and time settings. When I properly adjust these items, they remain for a few days, and then suddenly they are gone. Any helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated. There are only 1900 shutter clicks on this camera.

Thanks,

Tony

02-13-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is this with batteries in the camera or without?I think the camera only stores enough power to keep the date and time for about 48 hours without the AA batteries.My K100D won't keep the date and time when the batteries are changed.Whatever they use to store power for the clock when there is no battery power seems to have failed,maybe a back up battery or a capacitor?Annoying but as long as everything else works fine then probably best to just deal with it.
02-13-2016, 08:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

This is a common issue on Q system cameras after a year or two.
Users either keep resetting the date, or just don't bother.
02-13-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
Is this with batteries in the camera or without?I think the camera only stores enough power to keep the date and time for about 48 hours without the AA batteries.My K100D won't keep the date and time when the batteries are changed.Whatever they use to store power for the clock when there is no battery power seems to have failed,maybe a back up battery or a capacitor?Annoying but as long as everything else works fine then probably best to just deal with it.
Okay, I just checked the date and time with the batteries still in and everything is fine. I will now remove the batteries, re-insert them into the camera and see what happens. I am using brand new Duracell Coppertop AA. I also have the Duracell Cr-v3 batteries I use for shoots. Well, I put the batteries back in and the date and time are fine. I will leave the batteries out overnight and see what happens in the morning. I had just assumed that the software was sophisticated enough to retain this important information. Here is our answer right out of the instruction manual: If the date and time settings have been reset when you insert new batteries after a long while, follow the procedure for,,"Setting date and time on page #35. There we have it. Also, if the camera is not to be used for as long as three weeks, it is best to remove the batteries to avoid any leakage. The manual was written nine years ago and Duracell Batteries are guaranteed not to leak. I remove them anyway.

Tony

Last edited by Tonytee; 02-13-2016 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Additional information.
02-14-2016, 03:12 AM   #5

As noted above the camera has a built-in backup power source to keep the clock running when the main battery is removed. This power source is either a rechargeable battery (accumulator) or a capacitor with very limited run-time (48-72 on a full charge when new). Like all rechargeable batteries it will eventually no longer hold a charge. Some of the accumulators used in Pentax DSLRs have a life of around 50 full discharge - charge cycles vs 500 or more partially discharge - charge cycles. So from the viewpoint of optimal life for the backup battery it is better to keep charged main batteries in camera as much as possible.

Once the backup battery or capacitor goes bad the only option other than resetting the time and date is to replace the battery or capacitor. This is not a end-user task as it requires disassembly of the camera and de-soldering/soldering the replacement battery/capacitor.
02-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
As noted above the camera has a built-in backup power source to keep the clock running when the main battery is removed. This power source is either a rechargeable battery (accumulator) or a capacitor with very limited run-time (48-72 on a full charge when new). Like all rechargeable batteries it will eventually no longer hold a charge. Some of the accumulators used in Pentax DSLRs have a life of around 50 full discharge - charge cycles vs 500 or more partially discharge - charge cycles. So from the viewpoint of optimal life for the backup battery it is better to keep charged main batteries in camera as much as possible.

Once the backup battery or capacitor goes bad the only option other than resetting the time and date is to replace the battery or capacitor. This is not a end-user task as it requires disassembly of the camera and de-soldering/soldering the replacement battery/capacitor.
I just re-inserted the batteries and the time and date are fine. It appears as though I cannot leave the main batteries out longer than three to four days. Thanks everyone for the assistance.

Tony
02-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My K110D could not hold the date and time even for a few seconds. I bought it used and it never was able to hold the date and time at all. Assuming it was made to hold it when new, I think they fail in time sometimes.

02-20-2016, 03:09 PM   #8

I did some tests this week with my K100D Super and everything works well on my side

Test 1: same day
- insert AA batteries
- update the date
- remove AA batteries few minutes
- check the date

Test 2: 2-3 days
- check the date
- remove AA batteries few minutes
- recheck the date (no change)

However, I remember when I don't use my camera and remove the battery for a long time (like 1 month or more), the date came back to the default time. So I assume that there is a small battery in the Pentax K100DS. Probably that yours is almost dead...
02-20-2016, 06:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The internal Toshiba button cell battery is only rated for about 50 full charge/discharge cycles before it`s life is exhausted!
I leave Energizer lithium's in my daughters K100d just to prevent the internal battery from dying.