Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ohaya Quote
I guess that I've been surprised how hard it is to get even what I would call "proficient" with the K-r. I was a film photographer a long long while ago (like 30+ years) including doing dark room duty and weddings for a few years and when I go the K-r, I figured it'd be like "riding a bike", but at least for me, that has definitely not been the case, and it's taking a lot more effort (and work).
Jim, I don't know if you've tried this, but I'll suggest it just in case...

Given your previous photographic experience way back when, I think you might benefit from setting the camera to "M" (Manual) exposure mode. That way, you can set the ISO, aperture and shutter speed manually - just like working with your old film camera, except that you can change the ISO shot-to-shot as required, rather than having to shoot a whole roll of film at ISO 400, the next at ISO 200 etc. You'll have ultimate control of the camera in manual exposure mode, and even if you learn nothing else about using the K-r, you will be able to re-create a very similar shooting experience to your old film days - at least in terms of camera operation. Then, as and when you feel like adding to your knowledge, you can begin to explore the other modes and settings. But for general day-to-day photography, if you get proficient with the camera in manual exposure mode, you're covered...

02-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #17
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkeye17 Quote
I got a used dslr Pentax K10D [ less than 100 ] and am overwhelmed
A lot of us feel like that with our first DSLR, Hawkeye. Just take a step at a time.

Use an autofocus lens (maybe the 18-55 kit lens - very cheap second hand if you don't already have one). If you have had a life of manual focus lenses, it's a wonder when you half-press the shutter and the lens focuses by itself!

Put the camera in auto (or Program) mode and let it do its thing for a while. If the pictures are too dark (underexposed) or too light (overexposed) hold the +/- button and turn the dial at the back to adjust the exposure a little and try again. In the viewfinder you will see a cursor move to the left or right as you adjust the exposure. (Left is less exposed, right is more exposed.) Return the cursor to the middle position when you are done shooting in those conditions.

When you feel more confident you can take charge of the shutter speed, aperture and ISO settings. Best to take them one at a time to start with: e.g. use Av mode, set the aperture you would like and the camera will set the shutter speed and ISO. If you have used an ME you know what these things do.

Don't stress, just practise.
02-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
A DSLR was my way to get control of the process. Without a darkroom, film annoyed me (still does). The DSLR removed that roadblock for me, so I could get better at the roots of photography: see, capture, present.
Well said. This captures what I like about the GR : front e-dial = aperture, rear e-dial = shutter speed, rear rocker = exposure adjustment. I love the Tav mode and have very little post processing to do; other than creative tweaks.
02-18-2016, 10:07 AM   #19

I have an FZ150 which was the one before the FZ200 and a K30 which is the one after the Kr. I find the Panasonic is much easier to use and get a shot. It can do a wide variety of things like macro up to shooting wildlife with the long zoom capability. Getting the most out of the Pentax is harder work for me and a bit hit and miss. I use it mostly for landscapes now and have done some night-time shots which are far better then the Panasonic.
I guess it is really which you prefer the results on and what kind of shots you take. If you want an all-in-one then the FZ200 will be hard to beat.