Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2016, 02:01 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It looks like on the first shot you had focused on possibly one of the trees far away. Your metering seemed alright on that because it probably evaluated the light due to your focus on the tree and not the bright daylight. The F6.7 is not really giving you a lot of depth to deal with trees that were close to you in the shot, thus they can become blurry. In reference to the second shot, the metering could have picked some of the white light that may have been present in your focus/metering, and with an F4 setting it can make it really easy to bring in a lot of the bright light that was intermingled with the trees, possibly causing the metering to try to deal with the bright light which had no contrast, and causing the blowout. It may have been different if you had made sure you were focused on something like a tree in that one also to have a metering evaluation of that as opposed to the white light. The F4 setting is also not going to provide you with very much depth, as for example F8-F11, so the blurriness on the edges can be expected. Also, I am not sure if you were using a tripod or not, but the 1/45 setting is sort of slow, which as you probably know can cause blur if moved during a shot. I do not know how your settings could have changed by themselves as you mentioned, but if it does not continue to do that, I suppose you should be fine, otherwise if it persists you may want to confide in Pentax customer service. The information I am giving you may help, I really do not know all of the factors involved beside what you stated so they may not be completely relevant, and I wish you the best. I also have a K-3II and it has always been very dependable for me.

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-26-2016 at 02:29 PM.
02-27-2016, 06:15 AM   #17

Have you done a proper focus test by printing out a focus chart and being sure everything is square and level while shooting with both lenses?
02-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I do not know how your settings could have changed by themselves as you mentioned, but if it does not continue to do that, I suppose you should be fine, otherwise if it persists you may want to confide in Pentax customer service.
What he said.

Something is fishy here and lacking an out-of-camera JPEG with EXIF intact, it is difficult to tell just what. Assuming both camera and lens are new, here is the stock advice I give to most new users with a new camera who are experiencing strange results. Sorry if any sound preachy :
  1. Assume you know nothing about your camera and take a walk through your owner's manual (cover to cover)
  2. Go through and review all menu settings with the owner's manual as reference. If you don't understand the setting, go with the default.
  3. Go through and review all the multi-function (4-way) pad settings. This is a common source of problems since the camera does not require a confirmation step and the settings are prone to inadvertent change courtesy of the heel of the palm or thumb. Be sure the custom image setting is on "natural". Also be sure the camera is not set to bracket exposures.
  4. With the original equipment battery (fully charged) in place, put your camera in "P" mode and lock the mode dial to avoid it changing say, from TAv to M, courtesy of the camera strap or an errant left hand
  5. Turn off Auto-ISO (press iso button and turn rear e-dial to 200). Auto-ISO is not a bad thing, but it is a common cause of confusion for new users.
  6. Enable AF and confirm that AF mode is AF-S
  7. Take a few outdoors snapshots during daylight hours, taking care to avoid backlit subjects
  8. If you get other than a series of well-exposed, in-focus snapshots, it is time to call Ricoh/Pentax support. They will likely walk you through a series of steps much like the above, but at least you will have benefit of knowing you already know how to work your camera having done step one above.
  9. If Ricoh/Pentax support is not able to help you get good results, contact the store where your bought your camera and request a replacement. It is new and they are your primary source for customer service. If you ordered online, they should pay for all shipping expenses.
I hope things go well for you. I own the K-3 and it is an incredible tool.

One more thing. Exposure settings may or may not be retained in the manner you expect when switching from mode to mode. The behavior is consistent, but has been a source of confusion to some users. I have not experienced a mysterious change on on/off such as what you describe, though I can imagine a few scenarios where something like that might occur.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-29-2016 at 12:39 PM.
03-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the very detailed reply, Steve. That was very helpful, although I have done mst of those things already. And I believe I know the answer to my question.

I like to user User settings. Normally, I set them up in the evening before shooting to the defaults I want, depending on intended shooting. However, since I do this in the dark, when I save a user setting it is dark so the setting mirror that. For example, it may set the F stop to f3.5 and shutter to 1/10. This gets saved with the User setting, for example, User 1.

Now I am shooting in bright sunlight, using User 2. My settings as of the last shot were f8.0 at 1/750 second. I now switch to User 1. In my prior camera, the settings would still be f8.0 and 1/750 but the K-3ii has been reset tof3.5 and 1/10. If I am not careful, and take a quick picture, I will be way over exposed. I have had to learn to use my wheels whenever I change User or even turn the camera off.

This behavior does not happen if I stay in say A or T mode. So it is just something with my style of shooting I have to get used to.

John

07-09-2016, 04:49 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
I had to "adapt" what I went from K5ii to the K3ii. I usually shoot birds in spot mode. However, that spot mode seems more "spotty" on the K3ii that on the K5ii. Seems that if my bird subject is dark, it will overexpose more often on the 3 than on the 5. example: blackbirds ALWAYS overexpose now, and, MUCH more that the k5. So I setup a user mode for spot and 1 for center weight..... So much easier with the dial than with the menus.