Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Is something wrong with my new K-3ii?

Going through the usual discovery when starting with a new camera. So my first tests were with a used 18-135mm mounted. In all my images, even when the center is in focus, the left right edges (especially in the corners) is seriously blurred. Much more so than any other camera (including $500 bridge cameras) I've owned.

So I spent some time working on measuring back focus, and corrected for a relatively small amount of back focus. The problem still exists. I happen to also have a 15mm DA Ltd, the problem also occurs with that lens. But worse, periodically one or more images will be way overexposed. Below are two images taken a few seconds apart, with no change to the camera setting at all. Also check the edges and corners on the top one....

So with the very bad edges and sometimes blown images, would you return this camera or am I doing something wrong?

John

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
02-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What shooting mode are you using?
02-20-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Have you proven the lens works correctly on a different body, today?
02-20-2016, 01:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
These were shot in TAv mode, and adjusted for an ISO of less than 200. The correctly exposed image was ISO 200, 1/250, and f6.7. The overexposed image was set the same through the viewfinder but EXIF shows ISO 100, f4.0, and 1/45. I want to stress that I did NOT mak any changes to the controls between the two shots, just moved the image direction.

I have only one body, and two lenses. So far, the overexposure only has exhibited with the DA 15mm f4.0 Ltd but the blurry images are with both lenses - the 15mm and 18-135mm.

John

02-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear your trouble, John, but it may be something very fixable. It would help to know your shooting settings (more than EXIF) to troubleshoot effectively.

---------- Post added 02-20-16 at 12:47 PM ----------

One thing I notice in your EXIF is a pretty significant difference in your shutter speed and a faster aperture, which surely accounts for the over exposure. This wouldn't happen in normal Tav mode so, if you're absolutely sure YOU didn't change these settings, then I would say, yes, something is wrong with the camera. I would keep trying with similar setup and see if it keeps happening. Then you'll have your answer.
02-20-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a K3 but cannot recall, does it have a 'reset all menu settings to factory default'? If it does, try this in case you have accidentally set something you cannot now recall what, to a setting hich is causing the bother.

With my K3 I had some problem like that when it was new, just had myself uncertain about what to do with it.
02-20-2016, 03:05 PM   #7
Forum Member

are you sure you didn't accidentally enable bracketing?
blurring at the edges may be normal. K-3 has a much smaller pixel pitch and when viewed at 100%, you will see more blur than with other cameras with lower resolution.
02-20-2016, 03:17 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Does the apeture lever on the lens mount operate freely? To test set your aperture to f11 or higher, point at something and turn the power switch past on. There is a setting, digital preview or dof preview iirc, you want dof preview. It should close the aperture and your viewfinder image will darken. Cycle it a bunch of times. That will tell you if the aperture actuator is working properly. Sometimes the lens lever gets bent, sometimes the body mechanism doesn't work or doesn't catch the lever.

02-20-2016, 04:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I thought about a sticky aperture also, but it should not effect metering, correct?
02-20-2016, 05:24 PM   #10

I don't have a K3 ii, but is that the same as a K3? The K3 latest firmware is V 1.21. What version is your camera on?
02-20-2016, 05:26 PM   #11

Unfortunately, there has not been a firmware update for the K3II! We are waiting though!
02-20-2016, 08:53 PM   #12

i can only guess, as i do not own a newer model pentax (k-5 owner here ).

blurry corners:
when it cannot be the lens, as you said the lens performs way better on a different camera, then there can only be one thing that would make remotely sense: Sensor shift, i believe your camera also has the option to use tilt-shift of some sort via the sensor, maybe its wrongly configured so that the sensor is not parallel to the focal-plane (if that makes sense..) have a look into the options.

blown out pictures without changing settings:

the only thing i can think of is bracketing mode turned on?
02-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think I found the problem if it is indeed a problem... when you turn the camera off and back on the settings revert to a basic one. At least, in the TAv mode. Example: I was shooting at 1/250 and f5.6, and turned the K3ii off. Then turned it back on, and noticed the settings were now at 1/45 and f4. I had to manually move one of the setting wheels and the settings popped back to 1/250 and f5.6.

It should be noted I can repeat this with the same result, but only in the TAv mode. If I take a series of pictures without any wheel adjustments the camera stays in the 1/45 and f4 settings. And, this is repeAtable with both the 18-135mm and the 15mmLTD.

Does your K3ii exhibit the same? I guess I can work around it, but it slows down my time if I see something with the camera off I have to make sure the settings are correct.

John
02-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Johnontheroad Quote

Does your K3ii exhibit the same? I guess I can work around it, but it slows down my time if I see something with the camera off I have to make sure the settings are correct.

John
My K3II doesn't do that, John. I'm not sure if this will affect it, but you might check your Memory settings on the camera-4 menu. Perhaps the cam isn't remembering your settings and reverting to a former set?
02-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I might be getting the whole thing wrong but instead of turning the camera off and on use the green button to get back to a regular exposure reading.

Good luck with your problem

Randy