Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 06:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
60-250mm lens problem.

I left my lens sitting around and it got some mold or something inside it. I could see what looked like snowflakes if I shined a light through the elements wide open. I sent it away to be serviced but now it isn't very sharp anymore. I am wondering if I should sent it in again to be adjusted or if maybe it is a problem with how it was cleaned.... Or if this is just the reality from getting some fungus or mold in the lens. I would consider selling it cheap to someone who could fix it or sending it away to someone who could make it more usable again. Any suggestions or experience with a similar problem?

02-20-2016, 07:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check for front or back focus. If they disassembled it to clean the fungus it is possible the calibration was not correct when they put it back together. You can adjust and see if you can bring it back into correct calibration, if not it should go back to be correctly fixed.

It is also possible, unlikely but possible, that the repair person put it back together wrong.

If the fungus was cleaned and it was not in the lens long enough to etch the glass there should be no long term reduction in image quality.
02-20-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Where did you have it serviced?
02-20-2016, 09:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Have you tried using AF in LV?

02-22-2016, 08:38 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I had it serviced in Taiwan. Unfortunately everything in Taiwan is Canon or Nikon these days so it isn't the easiest to find someone to look at it. However, my friend just recommended another person who he said is really really good at repairing lenses who I am hoping can look at it. I literally see zero difference on my k3 with this lens even when the lens compensation is set all the way to each side. The focus is quick and it seems to be working correctly in this respect but the images are just really soft. It seems to be a bit sharper at close distances and also when stopped down. Thank you for your responses.
02-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevemgap Quote
I had it serviced in Taiwan. Unfortunately everything in Taiwan is Canon or Nikon these days so it isn't the easiest to find someone to look at it. My friend recommended another person who he said is really really good at repairing lenses. I have fiddled around with the focus compensation but I don't seem to notice any difference at all. The focus is quick and it seems to be working correctly in this respect but the images are just really soft. It seems to be a bit sharper at close distances and also when stopped down.

I just mailed my DA*60-250 of to Sun Camera here in Canada after a drop made it difficult to use. But it still worked perfect, just the zoom ring was hard to turn. So, I'm holding my breath here.
02-22-2016, 09:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevemgap Quote
I had it serviced in Taiwan. Unfortunately everything in Taiwan is Canon or Nikon these days so it isn't the easiest to find someone to look at it. However, my friend just recommended another person who he said is really really good at repairing lenses who I am hoping can look at it. I literally see zero difference on my k3 with this lens even when the lens compensation is set all the way to each side. The focus is quick and it seems to be working correctly in this respect but the images are just really soft. It seems to be a bit sharper at close distances and also when stopped down. Thank you for your responses.
Did you try it in live veiw? It uses a different type of focusing and it things are good that way then it may not be the lens.

02-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you. I will try it in live view. I suspect that isn't the problem but it won't hurt to try.