Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 07:32 AM   #1

Mac photos ok alternative to PentaxBrowser3Lab3?

Hi woefully ignorant Newby here-
Just got a dslr K10D on line Henrys canada but no software- is my mac Photos program a sufficient alternative that I was using my point and shoot on? It handles RAW I think. Still rolling the massive body over and trying to figure it out lol
Read somewhere on Pentax forums about downloading the Browser3 software and installing via command prompt but my computer skills are challenged and hoping Photos will do the job
Am a senior on a tight budget so managed to snag a Nikon [ took the label off lol] bag for 3 bucks at a flea market and excited about having a good camera and some old borrowed lens ziess and my old ME lens 55mm. Youtube tutorials are a god send .
thanks for your suggestions and have a good one!
h17

02-21-2016, 07:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The current Apple photo solution is very limited, they've pretty much ditched the advanced amateur/pro market in favour of selfie shooters using cell phone, they know where the bucks are. But if you can find an old copy of iPhoto or Aperture, both no longer supported, but iPhoto was free. IN the end, it looks to me like you're probably looking at Lightroom somewhere down the line. But if you can organize your photos yourself and you just want an editor, Pixelmator is the one. I use it for what I used to use photoshop for, layers images, adding text, circling the highest in red etc.
02-21-2016, 07:53 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

For a very quick edit I use iPhoto. It handles RAW and if you use the panel on the RHS of the screen it actually has drop down menus that allow you to do a reasonable range of quick adjustments to exposure, highlights, shadows, brightness, saturation, etc as well as sharpening and some special effects (B & W and filters) in the "adjust" icon. There's a cropping and horizon correction tool too and a few other useful bits.

The auto enhance is quite ugly and is best avoided.

For an absolute beginner, though, iPhoto is a reasonable place to start IMHO...although my version is around a year old now...the earlier ones were OK too. Not sure if I have seen the very latest version.

Lightroom etc are, without doubt, better, but also more complex.
02-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The current Apple photo solution is very limited, they've pretty much ditched the advanced amateur/pro market in favour of selfie shooters using cell phone, they know where the bucks are. But if you can find an old copy of iPhoto or Aperture, both no longer supported, but iPhoto was free. IN the end, it looks to me like you're probably looking at Lightroom somewhere down the line. But if you can organize your photos yourself and you just want an editor, Pixelmator is the one. I use it for what I used to use photoshop for, layers images, adding text, circling the highest in red etc.
Thanx for that Normhead
I did a little on line snooping and sounds like the Pentax stuff is a dodgy :
The Pentax software isn't just ugly and unintuitive, it's painfully slow. For the PC there are better free options, and iPhoto does the job if you have a Mac. Any paid-for RAW converter will cost at least half as much as you probably paid for your entire k100d, so the free options are the best.
Paul...snip
I have integrated iphoto and Photos and gimp on the side so the road seems clear so to speak cheers !

02-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I have been using Aperture as I got it cheaply with a student discount and it does an excellent job. But since it's no longer supported it will likely no longer work on future versions of OS X.

If you are on a tight budget - or even if not - Darktable is a good raw converter and manager and it's also free.
02-21-2016, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Photos is adequate for a start. If you are running the latest Mac OS, 10.11, you can extend the functionality of Photos by downloading apps that add extensions to it.

Affinity Photo is a professional level photo editor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg ($50). It has six extensions for Photos and you can download a free trial.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/
02-21-2016, 08:11 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
For a very quick edit I use iPhoto. It handles RAW and if you use the panel on the RHS of the screen it actually has drop down menus that allow you to do a reasonable range of quick adjustments to exposure, highlights, shadows, brightness, saturation, etc as well as sharpening and some special effects (B & W and filters) in the "adjust" icon. There's a cropping and horizon correction tool too and a few other useful bits.

The auto enhance is quite ugly and is best avoided.

For an absolute beginner, though, iPhoto is a reasonable place to start IMHO...although my version is around a year old now...the earlier ones were OK too. Not sure if I have seen the very latest version.

Lightroom etc are, without doubt, better, but also more complex.
thnx for your take on it guys, I will find out once I get some pictures going down the pipe I guess and will keep the suggestions in mind .
I am a little challenged with the size and weight of my K10D after slipping point an shoots in and out of my pockets over the years- have 5 broken ones lying around here lol
should be worth it though , I like street shots so will try to be more inobtrusive
Attached Images