Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2016, 09:31 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Sigma 105? Or hold out for lower 100 WR?

I'm a Canadian and our dollar is pretty much crap.

I can buy a used Sigma 105 2.8 DG EX for about $360. (Non-HSM)

A Pentax FA 100 2.8 WR costs $650 brand new.

B&H is having a huge sale for the Pentax for about $370 USD, but with shipping and our crap dollar it is still about $550 CAD. And I'm still not sure how duties and taxes work across the border.

Question is: Do you think the price of the Pentax 100 WR is going to continue to drop in price relatively quick? I'm talking needing it to be around $400 CAD.

Desperate for a macro but don't know if I should save and wait, or jump on the Sigma (should also be a good lens, right?)

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by FozzFoster; 02-22-2016 at 10:14 PM.
02-22-2016, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say the Pentax has more or less hit rock bottom. It's selling at less than half the original MAP price.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-22-2016, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Both the Sigma 105mm and FA100mm are highly regarded. You cannot go wrong with any of these.

A cheaper alternative would be the Tamron 90mm.
02-22-2016, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I'm a Canadian and our dollar is pretty much crap.

I can buy a used Sigma 105 2.8 DG EX for about $360. (Non-HSM)

A brand new Pentax FA 100 2.8 WR costs $650 brand new.

B&H is having a huge sale for the Pentax for about $370 USD, but with shipping and our crap dollar it is still about $550 CAD. And I'm still not sure how duties and taxes work across the border.

Question is: Do you think the price of the Pentax 100 WR is going to continue to drop in price relatively quick? I'm talking needing it to be around $400 CAD.

Desperate for a macro but don't know if I should save and wait, or jump on the Sigma (should also be a good lens, right?)

Thanks everyone!
The problem with holding out for a better price on a lens is the amount of time you can't take pictures with it. You should be able to buy a new Tamron SP AF90 Di Macro for $450 Canadian. Compared to the DFA 100, the Tamron isn't WR, doesn't have quick-shift and is less compact. The Tamron has a focus limiter (very useful) and an aperture ring, which is useful for pre-A setting film cameras, but otherwise isn't much of a selling point. Both use screw drive autofocus and both are dead sharp. I use my Tamron for more than just macro work, it's my only f2.8 lens over 50mm. If price wasn't an issue, I would have bought the DFA, but the $250 difference when I bought the Tamron was enough for me to justify buying it much sooner.

02-22-2016, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #5

I have a Sigma 105mm Ex, I love it... Had Tamron also, got rid of it as 105mm gives more focal distance, less noisy and I love Sigma colors.
02-22-2016, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi FozzFoster. Many members here have both the lenses you are comparing. If you check out the galleries by lens type, you can see for yourself any factors to help you decide. As you are going to have which ever lens you choose for a long time, the cost divided by say 10 years, isn't that great a difference. Good luck.
02-22-2016, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #7

As long as you want to do other things than macro- Tamron a "in plus" has the limiter, and also a very very good optics. I would choose between the tamron90 and 100WR(that has a way better trasmission).
02-23-2016, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

I also have the Sigma 105, and couldn't be more pleased with it. You can't go wrong with buying this one, but again the choice is yours.

02-23-2016, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

Check reliable sources like Henry's for used versions. I got mine from Henry's used for a pretty good markdown a year ago. It is the sharpest lens I own, though not my favorite FL.

I see there a two copies of the DFA version--presumably nonWR, but you might check--used for $449Cdn on their site right now which isn't a whole lot over your price point. They ship for free.

http://www.henrys.com/62543-USED-PENTAX-DFA-100-2-8-MACRO-8-Plus-.aspx

Last edited by jgnfld; 02-23-2016 at 08:38 AM.
02-24-2016, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #10

Sigma EX 105 mm F2.8 macro is a fantastic lens, having said that the DFA is weather sealed and for us as Canadians that might be a huge bonus. If the weather sealing is not appealing for you just go for used Sigma (I bought mine on ebay for less than 200 USD).
02-24-2016, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Choose "B&H Customs Clearance", all taxes, customs, and duties will be included in the price. With "Purolator Standard" shipping you'll pay $USD 401.67 at the checkout and that's it, no surprise fees when it gets to your door. They made cross border shopping much easier a few years back (Adorama as well).

It's doubtful that this price will drop much at all, but the conversion rate may improve. Or get worse. I wouldn't count on this lens dropping to $CAD 400 soon.
02-24-2016, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
[...]The Tamron has a focus limiter (very useful) and an aperture ring, which is useful for pre-A setting film cameras, but otherwise isn't much of a selling point. [...]
Having an aperture ring on a macro lens is still very useful, IMHO. For one thing, it means you can use very inexpensive extension tubes with only an aperture coupler, and no electronic contacts. For another, if you're shooting macro with manual flash and using liveview, recent Pentax bodies will artificially dim the LCD, making it rather harder to properly focus, especially in low light. And barring a possible firmware fix, the only workaround is to use the aperture ring rather than control the aperture from the body. For these reasons, unless you really need WR, I would personally prefer the Tamron 90, Sigma 105 or any one of the non-WR, earlier Pentax 100s to the latest D-FA WR.

Best value for money is probably the Tamron 90, which can usually be purchased for a very reasonable price from Prodigital2000 on Ebay - currently they have a refurbished lens for $360 and a brand new one for $380.
02-24-2016, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Having an aperture ring on a macro lens is still very useful, IMHO. For one thing, it means you can use very inexpensive extension tubes with only an aperture coupler, and no electronic contacts. For another, if you're shooting macro with manual flash and using liveview, recent Pentax bodies will artificially dim the LCD, making it rather harder to properly focus, especially in low light. And barring a possible firmware fix, the only workaround is to use the aperture ring rather than control the aperture from the body. For these reasons, unless you really need WR, I would personally prefer the Tamron 90, Sigma 105 or any one of the non-WR, earlier Pentax 100s to the latest D-FA WR.

Best value for money is probably the Tamron 90, which can usually be purchased for a very reasonable price from Prodigital2000 on Ebay - currently they have a refurbished lens for $360 and a brand new one for $380.
The Sigma 105 has an aperture ring as well as the limit switch.
02-24-2016, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
The Sigma 105 has an aperture ring as well as the limit switch.
Which is why it's in my list of lenses I would prefer to the D-FA WR...
02-24-2016, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter

If the Sigma is in excellent shape and you don't need the WR, the choice is obvious, particularly if you think that an aperture ring might be useful.

Steve