Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-23-2016, 06:02 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using AV mode

Usually when I am shooting birds, I set the shutter and f stop and use Tav mode and let the ISO do it's thing which is great when the birds flit around so much.
I am doing a wedding shortly and I want to shoot most the outside action on f2.8 so I was going to shoot on AV but in this mode I thought the iso would also be automatic along with the shutter speed? Am I wrong with this thought? So would I be better choosing the tav the way I do with birds? I have the k3.
As for the inside shots, I wouldn't mind some advice on how to best use the flash. Would one of the mini soft boxes be a way to go?
thanks in advance.

02-23-2016, 06:44 AM   #2

Hi,

I shot my first and only wedding a little over a year ago.

I followed the advice of this site for my indoor flash photos, and the results were great. Bear in mind that I was using Nikon equipment at the time, and their bounce flash implementation is a little better than Pentax's. I recommend trying these techniques out in advance, if possible, to see how much flash compensation you will need to add.

http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/

There are quite a few pages and tutorials and the site navigation is a bit convoluted, but I recommend reading as much as you can and then trying out some of his techniques.
02-23-2016, 06:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
Usually when I am shooting birds, I set the shutter and f stop and use Tav mode and let the ISO do it's thing which is great when the birds flit around so much.
I am doing a wedding shortly and I want to shoot most the outside action on f2.8 so I was going to shoot on AV but in this mode I thought the iso would also be automatic along with the shutter speed? Am I wrong with this thought? So would I be better choosing the tav the way I do with birds? I have the k3.
As for the inside shots, I wouldn't mind some advice on how to best use the flash. Would one of the mini soft boxes be a way to go?
thanks in advance.
The ISO is not automatic in AV, but it can be if you want. Just head into the ISO controls and set the ISO to auto (within your preferred range), or fully manual if you prefer (I've set ISO to be on the front dial, and aperture on the rear dial)
02-23-2016, 08:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If you are intent on auto ISO, TAV mode may be an option for outside. Inside with a flash you might want to use it, or use manual mode to have all of the settings available to you (flash or not). With a flash inside it makes it a bit more simple sometimes, depending on the performance of your lens with or without it.

02-23-2016, 09:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
If you are intent on auto ISO, TAV mode may be an option for outside. Inside with a flash you might want to use it, or use manual mode to have all of the settings available to you (flash or not). With a flash inside it makes it a bit more simple sometimes, depending on the performance of your lens with or without it.
FYI, I had a problem with overexposure in TAv mode once. I set the lens almost wide open to f/1.8 and was used a shutter speed of 1/250 to stop motion of people walking (and ISO 100). As you can guess, the light outside was too bright for those settings. It would have been much more convenient to have used Av and let the camera figure out the shutterspeed. Even more helpful would have been the choice to set a range in camera and use whatever shutter without going below 1/250 or something like that.
02-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I have no problem with TAV when I am outdoors. It and AV are definitely options depending on preference. Manual mode is also there for the user who wants unique settings per the situation.
02-23-2016, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Tav mode is risky in bright lighting. As mentioned above you risk over exposing. Make sure to keep an eye on the exposure meeter in the viewfinder.

02-23-2016, 10:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I usually use Spot metering when in TAV mode.
02-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
can you share why?
02-23-2016, 10:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I am usually shooting wildlife, such as a bird in flight for example, of which I want the subject, in most instances being in the center of focus, to be evaluated by the metering. I could select points, or go wider (Center-Weighted or Multi-Segment modes) but I find the Spot metering to be effective.

Someone may want to facilitate the use of Multi-Segment metering for landscape or group photos while using a wider angle lens, depending on preference and circumstance. It is a matter of choice.

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-23-2016 at 12:58 PM.
02-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
can you share why?
I am usually shooting wildlife, such as a bird in flight for example, of which I want the subject, in most instances being in the center of focus, to be evaluated by the metering. I could select points, or go wider (Center-Weighted or Multi-Segment modes) but I find the Spot metering to be effective.

Someone may want to facilitate the use of Multi-Segment metering for landscape or group photos while using a wider angle lens, depending on preference and circumstance. It is a matter of choice.
Oh...so you meant to say that you usually use spot metering and TAv mode when shooting wildlife. You might also want to consider using matrix metering and setting it to follow the focus point (menu/C1/5)

Steve
02-24-2016, 12:06 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
FYI, I had a problem with overexposure in TAv mode once.
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Tav mode is risky in bright lighting.
TAv uses the same exposure logic as the other modes. The meter output that drives the eventual EV is independent of the exposure mode. That being said, there is a risk when a wide aperture and low shutter speed are chosen under bright conditions.

Make sure to keep an eye on the exposure meeter in the viewfinder.
The camera will show a blinking "100" in the viewfinder, on the top LCD, and on the rear LCD status display. When that happens the body will allow the exposure with a set ISO of 100. A similar situation may occur when narrow aperture and high shutter speeds are chosen in dim light. There are similar cases for Av and Tv modes.

Steve
02-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Oh...so you meant to say that you usually use spot metering and TAv mode when shooting wildlife. You might also want to consider using matrix metering and setting it to follow the focus point (menu/C1/5)

Steve
Yes, I have also used it or Center Weighted Spot to shoot individuals, and have used Multi-Segment metering for groups or landscape. If using Spot AF mode, I usually use Spot Metering mode, obviously I am already linked at that point. As you say, matrix metering is an option, depending on how you want to shoot.

---------- Post added 02-25-16 at 03:23 PM ----------

Tav mode is risky in bright lighting. As mentioned above you risk over exposing. Make sure to keep an eye on the exposure meeter in the viewfinder.
I have resorted to -EV when bright light is present using TAV mode. It is effective in bringing down the ISO and giving a sensible image exposure while counteracting the bright light if it is present.

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-25-2016 at 01:29 PM.
02-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have resorted to -EV when bright light is present using TAV mode. It is effective in bringing down the ISO
That is not the hazard. The hazard is when ISO 100 is not low enough. The fix is to use a narrower aperture or higher shutter speed. Using the EV compensation will not help for this case. To be honest, I have generally considered TAv mode to be sort of a blunt solution. It sounds like a good idea when you have specific requirements for aperture and shutter speed, but in practice requires as much or more attention than simply shooting in M mode and adjusting ISO to suit.

Steve
02-25-2016, 07:55 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Of course shutter speed and aperture are involved, they are available to be adjusted along with EV if needed. That is part of using TAV, which someone may use as an option depending on preference. I have used TAV enough to know what settings to use and not use, and find it very accomodating. Someone else could like SV, TV, or AV mode and I would not tell them it is inappropriate if it is effective for them. Any user is welcome to their own opinion depending on preference, as we all know.