Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2016, 12:36 PM   #1

Camera Battery got a little Wet....what to do?

I was out taking pictures in a Thunderstorm last night, and I underestimated the level of full blown soaked I would get. My battery was running low on charge so I brought a spare and kept it in my pocket, but the last 15-20 minutes of my shoot the weather resistance of my jeans was compromised finally(you know that point when you finally feel water seeping through to your leg?) and I am afraid the battery got pretty damp. I ran 2 miles in the downpour back to my car(bad planning for free parking), so all in all the battery was damp(really damp?) for about 45 minutes total. I dried it off when I got back to the car. I checked this morning and the battery works, but I worry about using it in my camera. Any ways to check the integrity of the battery? A 45 dollar battery is not worth damaging a 2k dollar camera but I really would rather not have to throw the battery away as it was brand new.

Thanks,
Isaac

02-23-2016, 12:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I wouldn't worry about it. If I'm extra careful, I'll leave the battery outside for a few days (covered with uncooked rice?) to make sure it's completely dry before using it.

A bad battery will not produce sufficient voltage/current. In that case, the camera will let you know immediately.
02-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Turn off the power immediately!

In all seriousness, let it dry out nicely, rice (as stated by SOldBear) is probably a really good idea. I'm guessing it'll be fine.
02-23-2016, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
unethically bad idea was here.

Last edited by IsaacT; 02-23-2016 at 01:29 PM.
02-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #5

Water by itself is usually not harmful to electronics, it is what is in the water. Salt water will short a battery, water with kool aid or lemonade, ice tea, Pepsi, etc., will ruin the contacts with stickie stuff, and may short things out. Really pure water (no minerals or anything else) won't even conduct a current. If you are really concerned, try this. Get a rechargeable silica gel pack and put it in a zip lock bag with the battery for a few days. If there is any water remaining in the battery, it will dry it out. (My daughter dropped an old cell phone is a glass of water once; she dried it out with silica gel for a couple of days and it worked fine).
02-23-2016, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacT Quote
Okay, question now. It is within the return policy so should I just tell the store that it is defective and just exchange it to be safe? Didn't buy from a camera store, just a big box place.
I think that would be very dishonest!

Ziplocks save a lot of problems. I would never have a battery with the contacts exposed in pockets, etc., it might damage the contacts.

I would suggest just using it, and if it has been damaged, you eat the loss, not the store; regardless if it is "just a big box place". It was carelessness, not defective.
02-23-2016, 01:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Okay, question now. It is within the return policy so should I just tell the store that it is defective and just exchange it to be safe? Didn't buy from a camera store, just a big box place.
Only if you tell them why it is defective. Otherwise you are being dishonest, and you don't want people to think you are dishonest, do you?

02-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #8

Original Poster
True, true. I will deal with the loss if it is a loss. Will try using it with a heavy dos of caution. Ill take out the battery after a bit of shooting to make sure there are no adverse effects
02-23-2016, 01:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'd feel dishonest doing that. It's not the store's fault if you ruined a battery.

The battery is probably okay. Let it sit in a sealed box with a desiccant pack (or uncooked rice) for a week as a precaution; that will pull moisture out of the battery.
02-23-2016, 02:44 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the news many years ago there was a article about a man's pants catching fire while at a ball game. The source was found to be a camera battery he had in his pocket which came into contact with some loose coins. It was determined the coins had shorted across the battery contacts starting the fire.
For myself, my spare batteries are kept separately in a small plastic bag.
02-24-2016, 12:12 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mechmike10 Quote
Water by itself is usually not harmful to electronics, it is what is in the water. Salt water will short a battery, water with kool aid or lemonade, ice tea, Pepsi, etc., will ruin the contacts with stickie stuff, and may short things out. Really pure water (no minerals or anything else) won't even conduct a current. If you are really concerned, try this. Get a rechargeable silica gel pack and put it in a zip lock bag with the battery for a few days. If there is any water remaining in the battery, it will dry it out. (My daughter dropped an old cell phone is a glass of water once; she dried it out with silica gel for a couple of days and it worked fine).
Some years ago friends of my parents spilled chicken noodle soup in the vent slots of their TV. Total disaster! Somewhat salty, and with schmaltz added. Good for a cold, but not a Zenith TV!
02-24-2016, 05:10 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aside from all the comments about returning it falsely under warranty. Just let it dry out. Use rice or silica gel to absorb all the moisture. The risk is not likely moisture itself, but it could lead t mould and fungus, there is some risk of corrosion but not much.

I had my *istD totally soaked in 2004 while kayaking when my boat got swamped. I pulled the lens off, battery and memory card out, and left all the covers off. It sat that way in the sun for 4 hours. I still have and use the camera. If you dry it out, there is no issue
02-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
I haven't opened one, but the cell is likely a pouch-based type- which is totally sealed. There will be a very small PCB with a protection circuit on it- just a handful of components, not likely to take any damage from a clean water bath, even under power.

The protection circuit is there as a safety and battery preservation measure- functions typically are Overcharge, Short circuit, Over-discharge, thermal... maybe cell balancing if it is a multicell battery.

IF you were in SALT WATER, or water with a lot of dissolved solids, I would not trust the battery. A short on the protection PCB could result in a battery that appears to work fine, but has lost the protection features. (cannot detect a problem, or cannot shut off the gating FETs)
02-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #14

Original Poster
Was only in freshwater I am assuming. Only rain water was on it.
02-29-2016, 08:24 AM   #15

Photos: Gallery
Right- was only adding the info for others who might have a similar experience but with ocean spray (or geyser water ;-).