Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #16
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
You need to seriously rethink your objectives.

Your exposure should be getting her skin tone right, and let the rest go where it needs to.

People get too fixated on blown highlights, at the expense of the remainder of the image.

You have about 0.01% of the image perfectly exposed at the loss of the remaining 99.99%.

Decide what you want exposed, properly, maybe -1stop on the singers skin tone in this shot, set your camera for -1ev exposure compensation, meter off the skin in TAV mode and be done with it.

02-26-2016, 04:16 PM   #17
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 31
Original Poster
my objectives are pretty clear, to make the best and most usable photos (for the players). Maybe you mean I should seriously rethink my technique and acquire some more relevant knowledge? .. you are right. I will explore your metering recommendations. I have another session in about two weeks so I will report back on that issue. I don't agree with the % points but I do get the point. I tried to make it work because I really liked the composition. I tend to think that the end result I settle for is, especially in this kind of photo, the infamous trade-off. The highlight issue is interesting, I rarely push highlights, almost always pull them down.I'm not sure exactly what you mean regarding the blown highlights statement. Again, I wasn't trying to demonstrate perfect exposure technique (which I obviously don't have) only that I can sometimes overcome an exposure/noise problem indirectly and get something that works, though I would rather not have the problems to begin with...and I think you are suggesting that as well?
02-26-2016, 06:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
QuoteOriginally posted by Tandrew Quote
my objectives are pretty clear, to make the best and most usable photos (for the players). Maybe you mean I should seriously rethink my technique and acquire some more relevant knowledge? .. you are right. I will explore your metering recommendations. I have another session in about two weeks so I will report back on that issue. I don't agree with the % points but I do get the point. I tried to make it work because I really liked the composition. I tend to think that the end result I settle for is, especially in this kind of photo, the infamous trade-off. The highlight issue is interesting, I rarely push highlights, almost always pull them down.I'm not sure exactly what you mean regarding the blown highlights statement. Again, I wasn't trying to demonstrate perfect exposure technique (which I obviously don't have) only that I can sometimes overcome an exposure/noise problem indirectly and get something that works, though I would rather not have the problems to begin with...and I think you are suggesting that as well?
I really did mean your exposure objectives

I have shot in bars, performance halls auditoriums and everywhere the challenge is the same. I always shoot using the stage lighting, because it is part of the overall scene, and I always use spot metering and aim the central spot at what I want to be in the middle of the histogram, I let the remainder go where the lighting takes it, unless I want a wide overall shot
02-26-2016, 09:08 PM   #19
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 31
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I really did mean your exposure objectives

I have shot in bars, performance halls auditoriums and everywhere the challenge is the same. I always shoot using the stage lighting, because it is part of the overall scene, and I always use spot metering and aim the central spot at what I want to be in the middle of the histogram, I let the remainder go where the lighting takes it, unless I want a wide overall shot
do you use the live view and take a look at the histogram in real time, or are you visually using something like the zone system. I have never gotten used to using live view...

02-27-2016, 06:20 AM   #20
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
QuoteOriginally posted by Tandrew Quote
do you use the live view and take a look at the histogram in real time, or are you visually using something like the zone system. I have never gotten used to using live view...
No I take lots of shots, check the histogram repetitively and just shoot. Histograms are good as long as you remember there will be always blown highlights. Nothing has the dynamic range of the scenes you are shooting. So you decide beforehand what is not important
03-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #21
Pentaxian
emalvick's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Davis, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,475
Keep in mind that the histograms are often not the real histogram of the RAW file but the JPG file that you are seeing when you review the image on the screen in the camera. Often times you can show some blown highlights in an image in the camera and not have really had that happen once you are looking at the RAW on your computer. I actually have a custom JPG setting where I turn the contrast almost all the way down, specifically to try and see just how much dynamic range I am getting. I don't use JPG's from the camera, so while the image will look flat, I'll have a better idea of exactly what I've over- or under- exposed.
03-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,010
You're better off spot metering for the skin of the subject. Concert lighting is very high contrast, there's nothing you can do about that.


You can cheat with a tripod and do two shots, one for the singer, one longer exposure for the background, and combine in Photoshop - wildlife photography trick.
03-09-2016, 05:26 PM   #23
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 31
Original Poster
.I changed my approach based on feedback...i like to shoot manual so i switched to spot meter and linked metering and auto focus...the result was very good. I still have to shoot a lot of shots at iso's of 1600 and 3200 and of course 800. however, the noise problem was significantly reduced. the very first thing I noticed was that there was not so much noise in and around my intended target and what was in the back ground was pretty easily removed.

03-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,010
QuoteOriginally posted by Tandrew Quote
so i switched to spot meter and linked metering and auto focus...the result was very good.

Yep. Then you can paint one (low) noise reduction on your singer and another (higher) on the dark background for best results.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, k3, levels, light, noise, noise pentax k3, pentax, pentax help, photography, players, process, shots, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a way to make screw drive lenses less noise? enyceckk Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 24 03-28-2015 06:01 AM
Noise and other noise sandilands Pentax DSLR Discussion 20 09-27-2014 07:29 AM
Error upload mechanism resizing photos when it shouldn't be. asharpe Site Suggestions and Help 3 04-11-2012 10:09 AM
Shouldn't this be sharper Part 2 FHPhotographer Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 01-18-2009 02:21 PM
Shouldn't this be sharper? FHPhotographer Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 01-17-2009 07:20 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top