Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2016, 09:56 PM   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Buying a used O-GPS1: What to look for?

Hey all,

I will be buying a used O-GPS1 soon, and wondering what the quick procedure would be to making sure it's in decent shape.

Won't really have time during the purchase to make sure things like the astrotracer function works etc. Any quick tips to look for a lemon?

Thanks again!

02-23-2016, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
wondering what the quick procedure would be to making sure it's in decent shape.
Personally I haven't heard of any sample variation with the O-GPS1, I would suggest making sure it fits on your camera shoe snugly and check (and clean if needed) the shoe contacts of both your camera and the GPS unit, also check the battery compartment for contact corrosion or damage to the weather seals on the battery compartment.

Other than that, put a battery in it, slide it on your camera shoe,lock it down, turn on your camera and power it on: it should be fine.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-23-2016 at 10:38 PM.
02-23-2016, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Note that the astrotracer precise calibration is a little tricky until you get used to it. The procedure requires rotating the camera through yaw/pitch/roll axes. You might have to repeat the procedure a few times to get it to work; a calibration failure does not mean a defective unit.
02-23-2016, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Just keep in mind the astrotracing function doesn't work on all cameras like it should, like I know for a fact it doesn't work on the k-01. They could have released a firmware update for it but never did.

I'M NOT UPSET AT ALL ABOUT THIS DON'T MIND ME.

02-23-2016, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Note that the astrotracer precise calibration is a little tricky until you get used to it.
Also stand clear of any large metal structures as they can affect the accuracy of the calibration.
02-24-2016, 12:08 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

And dont be too far north. Where i live its just about ok. 64 degree north. The further south i go the faster it finds gps signal
02-24-2016, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
.....wondering what the quick procedure would be to making sure it's in decent shape.

One thing that you could/should check for right away is the electronic compass: Just do a simple calibration and turn on the elctronic compass display.
  • Does the compass reading behave stable or does it flicker rather erratically?
  • Is the heading reading reasonably right? (Judging from the position of the Sun, reading in a piece of software like Geosetter (GeoSetter » Download) or whatever knowledge you have of what is right - and provided that you stay clear of local, magnetic disturbances)
Have fun with your new acquisition!