Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #1

Back button focus / switch off in auto mode

Hi all,

Okay, so I am using back button focusing on my k-50. I have it set up with so that the shutter button focus is disabled, just the way i like it . No problem there, it works fine and everything.

My question is that is there a way to automatically enable shutterbutton focus when switching back to automode? You know, for the occasional times you have someone take a picture of you and so on.. I'm starting to get kind of tired of having to explain to people they need to use the back button.

Thanks in advance!

02-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by osigfrids Quote
Hi all,

Okay, so I am using back button focusing on my k-50. I have it set up with so that the shutter button focus is disabled, just the way i like it . No problem there, it works fine and everything.

My question is that is there a way to automatically enable shutterbutton focus when switching back to automode? You know, for the occasional times you have someone take a picture of you and so on.. I'm starting to get kind of tired of having to explain to people they need to use the back button.

Thanks in advance!
I think green mode enables half press autofocus
02-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I think green mode enables half press autofocus
Nope, didn't work
02-24-2016, 11:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have two User settings on the K-50 - set one of them up to use back-button focus, and then use this setting routinely. Then set the normal operation up to use the half-press so that when you want some else to take a photo, just turn it from user mode to P or Av (or green). Then it should do exactly what you want.

02-24-2016, 11:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My question is that is there a way to automatically enable shutterbutton focus when switching back to automode
On my K3 when I Switch Mode to Auto the AF goes to half shutter button automatically from back button. And when I switch back to TaV it goes back to Back Button.
02-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I don't have a K-50 in front of me, but you might want to try leveraging the two custom user modes. (User manual page 171.)

Steve
02-24-2016, 02:54 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
You have two User settings on the K-50 - set one of them up to use back-button focus, and then use this setting routinely. Then set the normal operation up to use the half-press so that when you want some else to take a photo, just turn it from user mode to P or Av (or green). Then it should do exactly what you want.

I ended up using this, just the other way around, so now i have my user1 set up with shutterbutton focus for when other are shooting with my camera! Thanks guys!