Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2017, 01:13 PM   #61

Original Poster
Hello all.Thks for your respond.Please allow 2.5 days 'cause of work & will answer.
Until then,enjoy your photography.

06-01-2017, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #62
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BANKatBULL Quote
Hello all.Thks for your respond.Please allow 2.5 days 'cause of work & will answer.
Until then,enjoy your photography.
I look forward to seeing a selection of your photos and please ensure you post those photos with the EXIF data intact as that will help members provide insight as to your problems. What would be further helpful would be if you make a note of settings used with each particular shot and post that too.

Good luck!
06-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sony DSC-W7 produce far better pictures
He can't be serious?
06-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #64

Original Poster
Yes....I will post as per your requirements,no problem..
PENTAXian SINCE 1981.

06-01-2017, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I would have done if my PENTAX ME SUPER is still alve.I used to carry around everywhere!!!
Those are still available in good condition used and will better support the vintage lenses that are your tools of choice.

To be honest, I am surprised you decided to reopen this thread. Since your last post, Ricoh apparently replaced your camera. Good for them. That being settled, we have the current complaint is that neither you nor your Pentax-savvy friend are able do good work with it. As noted above, many people have done very decent work with the K-30. My favorite experience was with a 12-year old young lady who was photographing tulips in a commercial field near my home. She was relatively inexperienced, but was happily producing some very acceptable photos. I lent her my macro lens for 20 minutes or so and she did well with it too. That being said, here is a summary of how to get good photos:
  • It helps to have a competent tool (decent lens and camera capable of appropriate exposure). Yes, most cell phones meet that criteria and I have taken many "keepers" with my phone.
  • Have your camera with you. He who has no camera, gets no pictures. In the old days the saying was, "f/8 and be there".
  • Compelling subject. If it is uninteresting in the viewfinder, it will be uninteresting in the photo.
  • Again...compelling subject. Did I mention that the subject should be compelling?
  • Good composition. Excellent composition may offset a less than compelling subject.
  • Good light. If the light is "flat", your photo will be flat. If the light is harsh, your photo will lack subtlety. If the light is dim, expect the camera to behave no better than your eyes and probably a lot worse. There are other aspects to light, but I think you probably get the trend.
  • Attention to the technical basics of focus and exposure or use of a camera that will do it for you. With your K-30, that last means using it with an auto-focus lens.
  • Attention to the other technical basics that the camera will not do for you. These are minimizing camera motion, accounting for subject motion, and not attempting the photo when there is inadequate light.
  • Realizing that with digital photos, as with film photography, the capture is only the first half of doing good work. The remainder is done in post processing on a computer or (with film) in the darkroom.
As with other users on this thread, I am looking forward to seeing examples of the photos that suck. If possible, provide a photo taken at the same time with your wife's phone or your ancient Sony for comparison.

Steve
06-01-2017, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #66
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Troll or not, he deserves our sympathy.
... If he is not, then as he has asked for assistance, we should try to help.
I think you should read through the whole thread, not just the last couple of posts, 35mmfilmfan.
06-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think you should read through the whole thread, not just the last couple of posts, 35mmfilmfan.
Thanks for this advice - I have been following this thread from its inception. Like many others, I was unsure of the OP's bona-fides, but I was (and am) prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. I do not agree with his comments regarding equipment comparisons, and, like others, I have urged him to post evidence of images with which he is not satisfied. Many people, for whatever reason, find asking for help difficult in this day and age. May I also suggest that you read the final line of my own post.

06-01-2017, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #68
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for this advice - I have been following this thread from its inception. Like many others, I was unsure of the OP's bona-fides, but I was (and am) prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt..
After all the friendly advice he was given earlier by multiple forum members, he's burnt his credit with me, I'm afraid.

I don't think he's a troll, by the way, just stubborn, my guess lacking in photography skills, and also English is a very second language.

May I also suggest that you read the final line of my own post.
I did, and quite liked it.
06-01-2017, 11:09 PM - 3 Likes   #69
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I have had this thread dropped on my doorstep a couple of times while performing moderator duties. Some of the contributors here have used poor judgement when posting, and made unacceptable comments. One tool moderators have is to be able to see the IP address of everyone who posts here. I see the OP is from Malta, so I suspect language and cultural differences are interfering with effective communication.

So everyone needs to exercise patience and understanding.

For those of you who have stepped in and provided help I applaud you.

To the OP, please post examples of the photos in question, as asked by other folks here. If you need assistance posting photos, by all means please ask. Then perhaps we can help you get out and make some great images with a very capable camera and excellent vintage lenses.

Thank you and carry on.

Racer
06-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #70

Original Poster
Hello all & thks for your comments & suggestions.
06-04-2017, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #71
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We're still waiting for you to post photos.
06-05-2017, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi BANKatBull....please check out the user photos for the K30. You'll see some spectacular images. Here's one I got in Rome. Are you saying your Nokia smart phone or Sony compact can get this image quality?

[IMG][/IMG]
06-06-2017, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #73

Original Poster
Hello all & many thks for your contribution.
I am posting sample pictures of the Sony DSC-W7,Nokia smartphone & K-30.
Kindly note that I use the "older"lenses(premuim).I have made the necessary & mandatory setting,two in all,so as to be conform with requirements.
Those of you who remember my original problem with shutter,kindly note that the body was exchanged last August,2016.
I have read the manual .I also refer to it often.I google and research myself.I had photo lessons too. I had the chance to compare my photos with theirs.
Sadly,I had to forgo submitting my portfolio due to picture quality.
I hope that someone might come up with anything that I have not come across.
I thank-you all in anticipation & enjoy your photography.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-W7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-W7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-W7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-W7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-W7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Lumia 630  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
06-06-2017, 05:52 AM - 2 Likes   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And what is supposed to be the problem with the K-30 images in this set? Other than one being obviously underexposed, and a second being slightly underexposed, I don't see a problem.

It's hard to make direct comparisons with the other cameras since you did not take back-to-back photos of the same scene. Especially since the K-30 photos are of scenes that are nearly monochromatic, while the other photos feature a lot of greenery and flowers, so color comparisons are difficult. But differences in saturation levels would mostly be due to how you have the JPEG settings in the cameras.

I will say though, that if these scenes are representative of how you're usually shooting--outdoors during the day with a lot of depth of field so that the entire scene is in focus--then there's little reason to go with a DSLR, and you would probably be better served by a smaller travel camera since that is where they excel.
06-06-2017, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #75
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hello all & many thks for your contribution.
I am posting sample pictures of the Sony DSC-W7,Nokia smartphone & K-30.
Kindly note that I use the "older"lenses(premuim).I have made the necessary & mandatory setting,two in all,so as to be conform with requirements.
Those of you who remember my original problem with shutter,kindly note that the body was exchanged last August,2016.
I have read the manual .I also refer to it often.I google and research myself.I had photo lessons too. I had the chance to compare my photos with theirs.
Sadly,I had to forgo submitting my portfolio due to picture quality.
I hope that someone might come up with anything that I have not come across.
I thank-you all in anticipation & enjoy your photography.
I easily picked the K-30 photos from the selection posted. Quality is largely a matter of taste, but I don't see that it is particularly lacking in these examples or that the Sony is particularly good. For the shots you offered, the Lumia did a stand-up job within the limitations of that device. I love my phone cam, but venture that the K-30 images are probably more amenable to post-processing and other than publishing to the Web.

BTW: I suggest that you consider using center-weighted rather than spot metering for general shooting with your vintage lenses. A significant number of the "my camera sucks" threads on this site feature examples where the photos were spot metered with predictably strange and unsatisfactory results. As in the old days, if I were shooting the striking white buildings on a sunny day, I probably would have based my metering off a gray card or used an incident reading with a hand-held meter.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-06-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Closed Thread