Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2017, 09:37 AM   #76

What apertures were you using?

06-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pick up a 18-55 kit lens ( < $50 ) with Autofocus, set the camera Custom Image to 'Bright', metering mode to evaluative, set user mode to Green.
Start there and see if you like the results.

Then go from there with experimentation using manual lenses and different metering modes, etc, etc.
06-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #78
Forum Member

The 28mm f/2.8 (early M version at least) is not rated very highly. I would guess that the second to last shot is at f/2.8 and the previous one at a reasonable aperture (yet underexposed) and the first in that series is probably f/11 or f/16.

You get the best contrast and sharpness from around f/4 to f/8.
06-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #79

Original Poster
Hi all .
Thanks for your comments.
for photo details go on "View picture EXIF"
I did try out Pentax 18-55mm without any difference.
As for picture quality,the Pentax is non-starter!Even when I have taken the same picture using different setting.
The pictures taken with a non Pentax cameras are 1 shot wonders.
Focusing is dicey even in broad day light.
Has anyone heard of calibration?

Thank-you once again for your contribution.
regards,
Victor-Malta

---------- Post added 06-06-17 at 10:26 PM ----------

By the way.........
I have a small e.mail from Ricoh-USA....
admitting the short-coming.
I will post that too so as to put you in context.
Ciao ,Ciao

---------- Post added 06-06-17 at 11:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I easily picked the K-30 photos from the selection posted. Quality is largely a matter of taste, but I don't see that it is particularly lacking in these examples or that the Sony is particularly good. For the shots you offered, the Lumia did a stand-up job within the limitations of that device. I love my phone cam, but venture that the K-30 images are probably more amenable to post-processing and other than publishing to the Web.

BTW: I suggest that you consider using center-weighted rather than spot metering for general shooting with your vintage lenses. A significant number of the "my camera sucks" threads on this site feature examples where the photos were spot metered with predictably strange and unsatisfactory results. As in the old days, if I were shooting the striking white buildings on a sunny day, I probably would have based my metering off a gray card or used an incident reading with a hand-held meter.

Steve
To the kind attention of STEVEBROT.
I thank-you for your input.
I have set center-weighted rather than spot metering,as suggested.
I do not agree that...Quote..Quality is largely a matter of taste....Unquote.
Quality is quality.Yes there are different levels of quality and that is why you could tell Pentax photos
from the rest......'cause they are inferior quality!!Im sorry to say.

06-06-2017, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #80
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BANKatBULL Quote
for photo details go on "View picture EXIF"
I did and found that you were metering in "spot" mode. "Spot" is usually not a good mode for routine metering.

As for picture quality,the Pentax is non-starter!
Of the photos you provided, your Pentax examples are the best of the bunch. A fact that was obvious without consulting the EXIF.

The pictures taken with a non Pentax cameras are 1 shot wonders.
The Sony photos have few positive qualities, in my opinion. The phone did a good job (see comments above). Without access to the originals from the phone and K-30, I can't comment on whether either would be usable for other than posting to the Web.

Focusing is dicey even in broad day light.
Welcome to the world of using manual focus lenses with the stock focus screen. I suggest magnified live view if critical focus is required. I would also suggest a close examination of your slides and negatives from when you were shooting film. I suspect that focus was no better on those...mine weren't.

Has anyone heard of calibration?
I assume this last was a problem of translation.

I was going to continue in detail, but decided not to. I am sorry you feel that your old Sony and your wife's phone camera provide better results than your K-30. After spending money, it is sad and disappointing to not get expected value from your gear.

As for Ricoh/Pentax admitting to there being a problem and the camera being junk, I can't say since I have never tried to make photos with your K-30. That being the case, I refuse to argue with you one way or the other.

Steve
06-06-2017, 03:05 PM - 2 Likes   #81
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

@BANKatBULL - Hi Victor... as Steve says above, it's sad and disappointing when you don't get results you expect from a camera (or any other product) you've bought. I'm sorry that's how it worked out for you with the K-30, as it's a great camera and capable of excellent results in the right hands. If you get inferior results with any fairly recent model from any the major DSLR brands - Pentax, Nikon, Canon, etc. - it's likely down to the user, not the camera.

I shoot both Pentax and Sony (only ever RAW), as you can see from my signature, and I personally get great results from my Pentax equipment. My Sony equipment is certainly no better, and often not as good (depending on the situation and method of use). That said, both of my chosen systems have strengths and weaknesses, and I like them more-or-less equally for different reasons. My Sony gear is especially good with manual lenses due to the focus peaking and magnification in the EVF. In terms of outright IQ, though, I own nothing that out-performs my K-3 and K-3II; I'm still extremely happy with my "old" K-5 (technically not far off the K-30) which I shoot regularly with older lenses; and I remain amazed at the output from my old K10D-clone Samsung GX10, especially considering its age

It may simply be that Pentax cameras aren't for you, Victor. We all know for sure that it can't be the camera (unless your current copy is faulty), since so very many members here are getting phenomenal results (I'm not a great photographer, but even I get results from my Pentax gear that are - at times - jaw-droppingly good). I don't take much notice of review sites, but they also generally acknowledge Pentax cameras' excellent IQ, especially in RAW format. But, if you don't get on with a particular camera or brand, you probably won't get results that others are getting. That's fine... it happens occasionally. Just switch to a brand and model that works for you

Good luck and I hope you find something that suits!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-06-2017 at 03:33 PM.
06-06-2017, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't understand the problem exactly....

You prefer the pictures you get from your phone or your old point and shoot. So, fine...use that. What's the point in using a cumbersome, complicated machine like a DSLR when you're aiming to get point-and-shoot style snapshots? You're using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Or more accurately...using a Ferrari to go to the shops and complaining that you can't fit in as much shopping as you can in your Ford....

06-06-2017, 04:06 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As another person here who has used a variety of different brands and models of DSLR's and large-sensor mirrorless cameras, I have found Pentax to perform just as well as any of the other brands, while offering a better value in terms of features. Professional reviewers also often note that Pentax has superior ergonomics compared to the competitors, and that Pentax finds ways to get the maximum performance from any given sensor. If you are disappointed with your Pentax DSLR, you will likely be disappointed with any DSLR.

Fortunately, this is a time when there are many fine compact/fixed lens cameras. The Sony RX10 line of cameras might be to your liking if you don't have to have the smallest camera. It has very good image quality, an amazingly flexible lens, and should be simple to get great results from.
06-06-2017, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #84
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thread closed. Thanks for all of the helpful responses.
06-06-2017, 05:13 PM - 2 Likes   #85
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I could not spot any problems with those K-30 shots, other than one being underexposed and another being slightly overexposed. I think we're likely dealing with a case of "user error".
Closed Thread