Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2016, 01:41 PM   #1

Unhappy with K-30

I just bought a K-30.this is after I had a Sony DSC-W7.but before the Sony,i had a Pentax ME Super.I kept the Pentax lenses to be used on the new pentax K-30.
I had only a couple of pictures and an amateur photographer;but,this K-30 seems to be no good.
I have not been able to use on manuel;that is set the aperture & speed.too complicated.
300 pages of manual & the photocorrection soft ware is same.
Hope to get to the bottom of this.i am very unhappy.

02-24-2016, 02:01 PM   #2

K-30 is a fantastic camera, but modern DSLRs are complicated and powerful tools, the k-30 is no exception. There is going to be a lot of learning required to get the hang of it.

As you are looking at using old lenses, does the following web page help?

Using K-30 With Older Lenses | Ricoh Imaging Support
02-24-2016, 02:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What exactly are the problems you are having ? I have had a K-30 since 2012 and have never had a problem. You are not able to use on manuel, exactly what does that mean ? I would suggest that you use in Auto or at least P mode to get started until you move to Manual mode, Unless you set up the menus differently, once you are in M mode, press the green button and it will meter correctly for the most part and you can then change aperture and shutter speed to change as you want. Suggestion would be not to be so disappointed after a couple pictures. Read the manual, use P or auto mode to start just to see what aperture/shutter speeds that the camera is selecting and you can see how your pictures look based on that and change in M mode as you go.

The K-30 is a great camera. I always think about upgrading but I get great pics from it so I keep asking myself why to upgrade if I love what it produces. If you get pictures that you did not expect, post a copy here and we can give you suggestions on what is going on.
02-24-2016, 02:09 PM   #4
Inactive Account

You can't expect to get great pictures when you are not familiar with the camera. And it doesn't matter whether it is K30, K3 or 645z or any other camera.

It is not the camera that takes pictures, it is the photographer

Good luck learning

Last edited by Apapukas; 02-24-2016 at 02:21 PM.
02-24-2016, 02:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree with previous comments.

May I suggest some things:
1. To start with put it in program "P" mode for a while. Due to the great program mode Pentax has, you can still control pretty much everything and its easier to start with.
2. Then read through the manual over a few nights
3. Ask questions here - people are really helpful
02-24-2016, 02:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you can't figure out the K-30, then you're not going to have an easier time with any other DSLR. For the most part, they all work the same way. But if you ask a more specific question, I am sure you will get a lot of help. The K-30 is an incredible camera, and one of the best values in photography, so it would be a shame to write it off so quickly.
02-24-2016, 02:24 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

You have the option of using it just like a point-and-shoot, Bankatbull.

If you want to learn photography, there must be a course you can do in Valetta or a club you can join.

02-24-2016, 02:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely check out the link that DanGleabols posted.

If you list the lenses you have available, we might be able to offer more specific help.
02-24-2016, 04:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BANKatBULL Quote
I just bought a K-30.this is after I had a Sony DSC-W7.but before the Sony,i had a Pentax ME Super.I kept the Pentax lenses to be used on the new pentax K-30.
I had only a couple of pictures and an amateur photographer;but,this K-30 seems to be no good.
I have not been able to use on manuel;that is set the aperture & speed.too complicated.
There's no shame in using auto-mode, but if that's the case I would use a camera oriented toward auto minded people. The K-30 is a DSLR and offers more features than you seem to want.
02-24-2016, 04:41 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by BANKatBULL Quote
Watch this video:
How to Use Manual Lenses on Pentax DSLRs - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

I hope it helps!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I just got a P&S underwater camera and it is currently harder for me to use than my K3. It takes time....
02-24-2016, 05:42 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Are all of your lenses manual focus and manual aperture? All of the Pentax D SLR cameras can be as easy to use as a point and shoot with modern autofocus lenses. If you have older lenses you may have to enable use of aperture ring and shoot in aperture priority mode. If you have a newer (A series or newer) lens, start with full auto (green) mode and get comfortable with that, then you can move on to shutter priority and aperture priority. I found the learning curve to be fun and rewarding, not tedious. I went from SF-10 (film) to K 10D (given to my son) to K-5 (backup) to K-3 (Primary) each step up added more features and capabilities but no problems with learning curve.
02-24-2016, 06:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

K-30 is perfectly capable and you will learn it well. Once you understand how Pentax does things, you will feel that everyone else does it wrong LOL. Hang in there, you will get it.
02-25-2016, 09:13 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
the k-30 is perfectly capable of delivering pro-level results, but the problem in your case seems to be what is behind the camera, not what is inside it.

If you don't want to take the time to learn how to use a dslr, then you shouldn't use a dslr.
thank-you .....i will have to toil harder.
Good-luck to you & enjoy.

---------- Post added 02-25-16 at 05:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dangleabols Quote
k-30 is a fantastic camera, but modern dslrs are complicated and powerful tools, the k-30 is no exception. There is going to be a lot of learning required to get the hang of it.

As you are looking at using old lenses, does the following web page help?

using k-30 with older lenses | ricoh imaging support
thks 4 your reply.
I'll look it up & post feed-back.
Good-luck.
02-25-2016, 09:38 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Using the manual lenses does take more work, and you need to tell the camera to allow them. It gets very confusing until you do that.

After you get the option set, you'll need to treat the camera like a film body, for the most part. A-series lenses are easier, you can use those like modern lenses with manual focus. All-manual lenses require you do to most of the work, but they can provide very good results.
Closed Thread