Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2016, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stein Quote
There is no lens that can make a good shot if there's nothing to shoot... I spent a few hours outside today and nothing caught my eye...
I have found it universal that no matter where you live or what the weather, nothing inspires photography like change. We become creatures of habit in both our routines and the way we see or appreciate things. My first time in the most mundane of places, and I go crazy shooting everything.

Recently I was south of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada and it was in deep winter colorless and bleak and I shot more in 48 hours than the previous 6 months in my home state of Hawaii. I've lived in Hawaii for 20 years and am uninspired to shoot because it's the same visuals and culture that I see daily. If I went to Serbia, I'd be shooting non-stop all sorts of things you didn't see as special. And if you came to Hawaii, you'd be shooting day and night things I ignore as not special.

The easy cure is travel. The challenge is to become a tourist in your own town, a guest in your own home, and to imagine what would an alien find beautiful or unique or curious or evocative or conveys a narrative as a guest at your home base on planet Earth. Easier said than done, which is also why many of us resort to different lenses for a new perspective.

02-28-2016, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #32

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Aloha, Alex

If you ever travel to this side of the world, you're welcome to stay in my house as a guest, free of charge. So much wisdom in so few words
02-28-2016, 05:46 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photography is a hobby for some and some are willing to invest a lot of money into it just like any other hobby. Unfortunately photography can be a very expensive hobby, but not as expensive as lets say Antique Car collecting. Some are satisfied with just a few lenses. Others want lenses that cover a range, or are specialized in certain functions like Macro.

Me myself, I don't mind spending money on lenses(if I have it) as long as I think that lens would be a worthy addition to my hobby. Being that photography is not all about lenses, there are other things that I think might be worthy additions such as Tripods, Monopods, Flash, Studio lights, filters, backdrops, cameras the list can go on and on.

Professional photographers don't usually suffer from LBA. They see photo equipment as just a means to put food on a table, so you won't catch them salivating over a lens, or any other piece of equipment. Unless that piece of equipment will provide a good return on their investment. Upgrading, some of us like to upgrade as soon as the newest model comes out, but savvy Professional photographers will usually beat a piece of equipment to the ground until that piece of equipment needs to be replaced.

How much is enough ? it depends on what you like to shoot and how deep your pockets are. Some people can get by with just one, or two lenses. Most Pros purchase lenses that cover a range, mainly wide angle to telephoto, sometimes even super-telephoto. That way they don't get caught short-handed when a gig comes up. With Pros however it is not an option, a particular piece of equipment is often a "Must-Have" as part of the tools they need to make a living...
02-29-2016, 01:53 PM   #34
Site Supporter

You don't need any more lenses.

Cheers,

02-29-2016, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #35
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm enjoying this thread - from the Zen Master Alex to the whimsy of Otis with lots of practical advice between.

Hey, and even a homage to the Yeti (love mine!).
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Best value for the money in my opinion (like Pentax among cameras..
That's exactly what I would say. Skoda is the Pentax of cars. Long heritage, small market share, great value, knowing looks between owners.

I never used additional tools before, except for the crop, resize and maybe sharpen tool to modify the original image. I thought that was some sort of "cheating" and felt that I don't know how to cheat so I rather not. Obviously I don't have to throw away those images that are good but not perfect and that there are things that can be fixed. But again, that's a different topic and I'm not going there in this topic.
I don't think it's a different topic. Here's my reflection. I had a film SLR for 24 years. I had two zooms, and always seemed to have the wrong one on. So when I got my first DLSR (K100D Super) I got a Tamron 18-250 superzoom. Always had the right lens on. When I look back at the photos I took with the K100D Super and the Tamron I sometimes think, "I wish I had my DFA 100 then" or "the FA 77 would have been perfect for that shot". But much more often I think, "I wish I had taken that photo in RAW". When I eventually got a K-30 and started shooting in RAW, it gave lots of scope for improvement. Even Silkypix that came with the camera could do a lot. Pentax DCU can be downloaded for free. There are other good free programs too. Even the commercial programs are cheaper than buying lenses. It's money well spent. And the skills are well worth acquiring.

Nor is it cheating. It's digital development. What's wrong with removing purple fringing from leaves, or removing distortion produced by the lens, or bringing up shadow detail or adding microcontrast? Why not make the most of the images you take?

As far as I am concerned, if people want to use multiple or composite exposures or focus stacking or Photoshop their dad into Sean Connery, good for them (provided they don't pretend that their dad really is Sean Connery). It's an art.

Last edited by Des; 02-29-2016 at 04:56 PM.
03-06-2016, 12:29 AM   #36

Original Poster
Back to the keyboard... Been busy, but not lasy
Found a really cheap Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 AF Di LD Macro. Had to buy it for several reasons:
- almost unused/as new
- only 70 (~$77)
- appears to be a better lens at ~200-300mm than my Sigma 28-300mm regarding sharpness and aberations
- has a macro 1:2 (didn't really test that feature yet)

On both lenses the auto focus is hunting and slow-ish, so, it's even, and I didn't get enough time to make shots to be proud of, but generally speaking, the Tamron seems to produce somewhat better results under similar circumstances.

Also decided to round up the selection of lenses to carry around and stop at it for a while. I think I'll be happy with the 18-55mm DAL kit lens, DA50mm f1.8, Tamron 70-300mm Di LD Macro and the Tamron 90mm Macro lens in the bag.
03-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
- has a macro 1:2 (didn't really test that feature yet)
Six years ago I compared an older version of that 70-300 to an older version of the Tamron 90mm macro. The 90mm lens was also a 1:2 macro, an Adaptall-2 90/2.5 model 52BB. It was pretty simple: I taped some paper currency to the wall as a target. I set the zoom up at maximum magnification on a tripod, so the sensor was parallel to the currency. I locked exposure and took shots at different apertures from f5.6 to f22. Then I shot the same currency with the same settings using the 90mm. I found that the zoom was sharpest at f11 to f16. The 90mm macro could match the zoom's sharpness at f4. It wasn't that surprising. The zoom was also very large at this magnification so using both lenses was very different. Clearly it's easier to get a better shot with the dedicated macro, but sometimes in the right conditions, the zoom can do OK.
03-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #38

Sell the old 50's and buy whatever takes your fancy, they wont do anything that the new 50 can't.

03-14-2016, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Once you get that stinking Tamron 90 and see what a good lens produces, you'll be hooked. If you really want to maintain your current state of affairs, don't ever mount it on the camera. Since we bought the Tamron 90, we've bought the 60-250, the Sigma 70 macro, and are hoping to get a DA*200 and D FA 150-450. Once you have something top notch to compare with, you start to only be happy with other lenses that look almost as good.

You start seeing images you would have been happy before and think "I wish I could have taken that with the Tamron."
03-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Once you get that stinking Tamron 90 and see what a good lens produces, you'll be hooked. <snip>
This is really dark... for a joke...
03-14-2016, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

This is really dark... for a joke...
What joke?.. it's a description of what happened in my house! I buy the Tamron 90, my wife steals it. ( I hardly ever get to use it anymore, it's always mounted on her camera.) She decides she only likes primes, she won't use her Sigma 18-250 anymore. She'd rather shoot with the Tamron 90 with the 1.7 or 1.4 TC on than use a zoom. Sooner or later I have to get her either the DA* 200 or DA*300. She whines "I don't have anything long to shoot with.", the same way she whines when she thinks she needs a new pair of jeans. I got that Tamron 90 for $250 second hand, but it's going to cost me a lot more than that.

It is dark... but it's not a joke. It's a crying shame.

Last edited by normhead; 03-14-2016 at 01:23 PM.
05-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #42

Original Poster
Replacing the standard Pentax 18-55mm DAL kit lens with Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 did the trick. That doesn't mean that I will not be tempted in the future and that I will never ever buy another lens, but I think, or to be precise, I feel that I have them all now. Sure, a better telezoom wouldn't hurt (have Sigma 28-300mm and Tamron 70-300mm Macro, both were dirt cheap) but 90% of all of my shots don't require that kind of focal length. What I need now is a bigger bag For macro shooting I can use either my Tamron 90mm F2.8 or the Tamron 70-300mm Macro and even the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 does make excellent close-up shots which is most of the time attached to the camera and in some cases I use the 50mm DA F1.8 Pentax prime. I might look for a used K-3 but not in the near future as I have a zillion of other things to spend money on, and those are rather important, not just for my own pleasure. I'm also considering a ring flash as well, but not now. So, I'm happy and noticed that I didn't browse through adds/ebay for weeks now, rather go out and take pictures
05-22-2016, 06:02 AM   #43
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

@Stein, your addiction is in remission. Don't put it any higher than that just yet.
05-22-2016, 06:06 AM   #44
Moderator PEG Judges

just as if my bag with them lenses isn't already crowded...
Enough is enough when you can no longer lift the bag off the ground...

That said I can recommend a Pelican 1510, it has wheels on it.
05-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #45

Original Poster
I usually know where I'm going and what sort of shooting can I expect so I usually don't take all them lenses with me, just as many I can squeeze into the bag I plan to have a family trip to Amsterdam later in the Summer and then I will have to take most of them as the trip involves visiting Budapest, Bratislava and Prague on our way to Holland and definitely Munich and Vienna on our way back and there will be a lot to record for the memory photo book We'll split it into four stages, each approximately lasting one day of driving, meaning I'll be behind the wheel for four days, so I'll definitely have to compensate it with making a lot of shots ... And that's not the only thing I'm saving for...