Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2016, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to give you an idea. It took me two and a half years of buying, trying, and selling every lens I could afford. It was a long process of learning what I like to shoot and how I like to shoot it. To accomplish that, I myself need an FA 77, a DA*200, and an 18-135. I rarely shoot wider than 50 mm but it's nice to have options for that. And the days I do end up shooting wide shots are the days I just feel like walking around the park and snapping pictures. Which the 18-135 is perfect for. The quality is plenty good for doing that and the fl is very versatile. Don't really care about the speed because it's usually during the day and I'm in no perticular hurry. The other two lenses are for music festivals and I alternate between shots of the bands and shots of people in the crowd. Plus I can bring my 18-135 if I just feel like walking around and taking snaps. So you can see how I came up with this kit. And like I said, it took me over two years to realize all this. And sure, there are plenty of other lenses I'd like. And those ones I'll buy, try em out, and sell them if I don't really use it enough to justify keeping it.

05-23-2016, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #47

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Oh, I'm content* now, thanks

Buying and selling Pentax K mount lenses in this forsaken end of the woods is a rather challenging task Especially the selling part... Anyway, I'm pleased with the speed I'm getting used to my K-S1 + set of lenses and figuring out what to do and how to do it if I want to get a good shot in different conditions. Lately, the percentage of "keepers" versus "out of focus" increased significantly and I'd say it's a good news as the pleasure of going out and crawling around my backyard gets exponentially increased with each good shot I make

*adjective
10-14-2016, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #48

Original Poster
Guess I was lying. Bad, bad boy... Have a problem now. Can't carry all of the stuff around...
Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 became my everyday kit lens replacement, and it's usually on my K-3 II, while the DA 50mm F1.8 is on my K-S1. But it's not always like that. Sometimes I grab the Sigma 30mm F1.4 or Sigma 28mm F2.8 (MiniWide) or Sakar 28mm F2.8 MC Macro (funny/interesting thing that 28mm Macro!) but then, I might end up using Tamron 90mm F2.8 or the old F4 M version of Pentax's 100mm macro, or the D FA 100mm Macro... as far as Macro lenses go.. and of course I still have but rarely use the Tamron 70-300mm Macro... Don't use the original kit 18-55mm DAL at all... Found the "battery depleted" to be annoying so bought the D-BG5 grip for my K-3 II plus two sets of GP Recyko 2100mAh rechargeables and four more for the ring flash. The only con of the flash is that doesn't come with 49mm adapter for the ring flash, they never thought I might have two 100mm macro lenses... But I'll get me an adapter from 49mm to something bigger as it's all fine from 52mm up to 77mm
Oh, stop me!
10-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stein Quote
Thanks... Now I feel better... I was really afraid of getting into the whirl of wasting money today on things I will not use tomorrow. I'll just stop thinking about it and keep walking around with whatever I have now (that includes the Tamron macro lens I already paid for but still waiting on USPS to update the tracking page to "delivered" )

The mantra for today: keep cool and think of other things...
I would suggest the 'Single In' challenge on this Forum. Shoot a single lens for an entire month and post 1 shot per day. It's fun, you'll get to interact with a great group of helpful fellow Pentaxians, and most importantly -- you get to know your lenses strengths and weaknesses. Takes commitment, but strongly recommended -- even if you can't shoot and post every day.

10-03-2017, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #50

Original Poster
It's been a year now, another birthday, and guess what... Haven't bought a single lens in the past year. Replaced my K-S1 with K-S2 (K-3 II still being my workhorse) and I'm happy... Don't need another bag for lenses... I wish I could afford a nice piece of glass for astrophotography but I can live without it... (obviously)
10-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It doesn't hurt to know what is out there but you don't need it all, that is for sure.
I try to stay current on what I could get even if I don't, just because I think it is interesting.

For example, I have cheaper Tamron versions of popular FF lens ranges (28-75, 70-200) because they were good enough for my needs. I do some pro work and there wasn't anything the more expensive lenses offered that was keeping me from producing the required results so I saved some cash and got the cheaper stuff.
The Pentax versions look great and one day I might need them for a job that requires WR but so far I haven't so I'm enjoying what I could afford at the time I needed it.
But it's ok to dream...