Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 02:30 PM   #1

Vivitar lens help - won't fit

I just came into possession of two Vivitar lenses. A 70-210 4.5 and a 28-85 3.5-4.5. They are marked P/K-A. They will fit into the mount om my KS-2 but I cannot turn them to lock them into place. Is there a 'trick' or are they simply not usable on my rig?

02-25-2016, 02:40 PM   #2

The problem with many Vivitar lenses is the flange protecting the auto-aperture lever is too long. With some lenses the flange is held on with screws and can be removed. With others you have to cut or grind it down.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/140226-v...k20d-crap.html
02-25-2016, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Does the back of the lens look like this?

Some Vivitar lenses have a very long flange which is completely unnecessary. It bangs into the part inside the K-mount where what were the power-zoom contacts (now focus motor contacts) are. These lenses can be mounted on manual focus SLRs fine but can damage AF film or digital SLRS.

I removed the metal piece and cut it down to what you see below. The back piece can be just removed but that leaves the aperture lever unprotected and the back of the lens open for dust to enter.

02-25-2016, 02:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Does the back of the lens look like this?

Some Vivitar lenses have a very long flange which is completely unnecessary. It bangs into the part inside the K-mount where what were the power-zoom contacts (now focus motor contacts) are. These lenses can be mounted on manual focus SLRs fine but can damage AF film or digital SLRS.

I removed the metal piece and cut it down to what you see below. The back piece can be just removed but that leaves the aperture lever unprotected and the back of the lens open for dust to enter.
Yep! Looks just like that with the long flange. Did you just dremmel it off? It looks like there are two screws on the black part of the back with the long flange. Do I remove the part with the flange this way then 'dremmel' it down?

02-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hazcat Quote
It looks like there are two screws on the black part of the back with the long flange. Do I remove the part with the flange this way then 'dremmel' it down?
Definitly remove it first or you might damage the glas elements. I just removed the flange and didn't trimm it. till now (1 1/2 years) I never had a problem but as Jonathan said the aperture lever will be unprotected
02-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
Not a number, Johnathon and Othar, THANK YOU!
02-25-2016, 10:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

No Dremel involved, though that might be an option. Remove that part before cutting it though, otherwise you will certainly badly damage the rear lens element. In my case I held it with pliars and cut it with a small circular saw. Messy but effective. Then it was smoothed down a it with a file.

02-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #8
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i paint it with a flat black after the cut, in case there are any reflections.