Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 08:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-3 randomly lost lens info

I was out shooting with my 60-250 on my k3. The camera was on a tripod the lenS had the foot removed. Randomly the my k3 lost the f number while on with the lens attached. I turned it off and back on and then it asked for a focal length. I then turned the camera off unmounted and remounted the lens and all was well.

Any idea as to what caused this? And has anyone else exprience this?

02-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When it asks for the focal length or displays 'F _ _' you have lost communication with the lens. This can be due to dirty or tarnished contacts. Or it can be a loose mount on either the lens or camera. Using a microfiber cloth buff the contacts on both lens and camera. Also check the mount attachment to be sure nothing is loose.

Also if it asked for the focal was the SR on? It should be off when using the camera on a tripod. Not positive if the camera asks when SR is off, but I think not.
02-26-2016, 07:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Sr was on at the time. I didn't think to turn it off. Curious part is it worked fine for the first few shots then just lost the info mid shoot.
02-26-2016, 11:55 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
Any idea as to what caused this? And has anyone else exprience this?
As jatrax noted, this is indication of a communication break at the "A" contact on the mount. In your case, I would suspect mount flexing. If your lens has a tripod foot, use it. The mount flange is not designed to handle that much suspended weight. There is risk of the mount bending and/or (tiny) screws pulling out from the fairly mild alloy of the body casting

Steve