Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-29-2016, 09:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-3 raw output problem

This is kinda cool in a way but rather limited! This kinda effect is all I get when I down load raw images into lightroom cc. looks fine in camera. Jpegs are OK downloaded too - why would that be? Tried lightroom 4 and Pscc and same downloaded there. Tried different SD cards same effect. Happening in both card slots. I assume it's a camera prob and will need to be sent in. Boooo!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-29-2016, 10:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried formatting a card in the camera?
02-29-2016, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How are you transferring the images to the computer? Cable or card reader?

They look fine on the camera, so why would the camera be the problem? You tried different cards with no difference so its not the cards. What is the common denominator? Looks like the card reader or cable to me.

When you have a problem like this follow the chain all the way through. Someplace there is a fault, so devise checks at each point.

Try the cards on a different computer if you can
If you use a cable try a card reader or if you use a reader try a cable
You say the jpgs are OK? Try a different RAW format. Try shooting jpg only. The jpgs are converted from RAW in the camera so if the jpgs are OK, it seems unlikely the RAW files themselves are bad.
02-29-2016, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
taking photos with slow and corrupted cards is the new X-processing.

02-29-2016, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I agree that there is probably a problem with the card. Try an in-camera format and if that does not improve things try the format utility from the SD Association. Do not format the card using your computer.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Steve
02-29-2016, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by seadog Quote
This is kinda cool in a way but rather limited! This kinda effect is all I get when I down load raw images into lightroom cc. looks fine in camera. Jpegs are OK downloaded too - why would that be? Tried lightroom 4 and Pscc and same downloaded there. Tried different SD cards same effect. Happening in both card slots. I assume it's a camera prob and will need to be sent in. Boooo!
The easiest way to see if it's a problem with your memory card (or Lightroom) would be to shoot a RAW and try to develop it in-camera. If it looks normal, then the camera isn't to blame

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-29-2016, 11:10 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect problem importing into Lightroom. I would delete these from your computers disk using the Lightroom remove photo option and reimport from your card. Try one image before deleting all. I have had similar effects once before. Solved by reimport.

03-01-2016, 12:10 AM   #8

I had the same problem.
Tried to format the SD card, tried to switch RAW formats, etc., no effect: the RAWs were perfect in camera and perfect opened using Pentax DCU, but garbled in Lightroom.
Not all of them, only some of them per SD download.

At the end I gave back both Lexar SD cards, and changed brand: using Transcend or Sandisk is ok for me and now I don't loose RAWs anymore.
What's strange is that i heard similar problems with Lexar cards on other camera brands (Nikon), from people I directly know.
03-01-2016, 12:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbergy Quote
I had the same problem.
Tried to format the SD card, tried to switch RAW formats, etc., no effect: the RAWs were perfect in camera and perfect opened using Pentax DCU, but garbled in Lightroom.
Not all of them, only some of them per SD download.
The camera doesn't display RAW (RAW isn't an image until you develop it), it displays the embedded JPG for the preview.
03-01-2016, 01:08 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
The camera doesn't display RAW (RAW isn't an image until you develop it), it displays the embedded JPG for the preview.
Yes, but I can develop RAW in camera...

Anway, I solved changing SD brand
03-01-2016, 02:10 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Had the same problem with lexar pro 32gb sdhc .600x. Lexar replaced card with a slightly different model. No problems since.
03-01-2016, 03:06 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by seadog Quote
Sometimes I get it but not only in LR but in Silkypix developer studio pro also, and on pixel shifted, but that is only when looking at an fitted preview, when I double click to view 100% that artifact disappears. On the other hand, capture one never showed this issue. I shoot in PEF, not in DNG. So I would rule out the SD card problem.
03-01-2016, 07:43 AM   #13
przemomir

Lightroom 4 does not read K-3 PEF. DNG only.
03-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by przemomir Quote
Lightroom 4 does not read K-3 PEF. DNG only.
Good point and even the DNG support is limited with that version of LR.

Steve
03-01-2016, 04:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies.
I have always formatted the cards in camera. Same cards have been working fine for a long while. The one new thing is THE CARD READER! At first it was fine so I didn't think of it. Will try directly out of the camera and with old card reader.