Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Metering trouble with my new FA 77

So I just got my brand new FA 77 and tried a few shots at lunchtime. If I have the aperture set to A, and adjust my shutter to get th correct metering, the pictures black. However, setting the aperture to 1.8 and using the same shutter speed, the picture comes out fine. I did a reset on the camera to make sure I didn't have something set wrong but it's the same results. And it seems to work ok with the green button as well. I'll try some more after work but if anyone can give me any ideas before then, it'd be appreciated. Thanks

03-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you in M mode or some other? Here are my tips:
a) dismount the lens and check the lens and camera mount for damage, particles, dirt.
b) make sure the lens is really locked in to A on aperture ring. I think you need to push a little button to get it into A
c) make sure the lens is fully mounted - it needs to click into place
d) does the camera recognize the lens? If the exif data shows the correct lens ID, then this part is okay
e) does the camera show the aperture on the LCD screen or is it just F---?
f) does the lens' aperture move correctly? You can test this by taking two photos, one at f2, and one at f16, and looking down into the lens. The difference should be obvious. You can use Tv or M mode for this, and select a shutter speed of 0,5 seconds or even longer so you can see the aperture blades move into position.
03-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Are you in M mode or some other? Here are my tips:
a) dismount the lens and check the lens and camera mount for damage, particles, dirt.
b) make sure the lens is really locked in to A on aperture ring. I think you need to push a little button to get it into A
c) make sure the lens is fully mounted - it needs to click into place
d) does the camera recognize the lens? If the exif data shows the correct lens ID, then this part is okay
e) does the camera show the aperture on the LCD screen or is it just F---?
f) does the lens' aperture move correctly? You can test this by taking two photos, one at f2, and one at f16, and looking down into the lens. The difference should be obvious. You can use Tv or M mode for this, and select a shutter speed of 0,5 seconds or even longer so you can see the aperture blades move into position.
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to check the exif when I get home but the answer to everything else is "yes" other than the last one. The aperture doesn't change regardless of what I have it set at on the lcd screen. Another thing I noticed is the metering is different on live view than through the vf. Not sure if that's normal as I rarely use lv but I figured I'd mention it.
03-02-2016, 12:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

check for Exposure comp also. If you have compensation turned down, you may have some meeting issues. Good luck!

03-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
check for Exposure comp also. If you have compensation turned down, you may have some meeting issues. Good luck!
At first I did have it turned down but I changed it back to zero. Didn't make a difference though.
03-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

One last thing I can think of...

You may need to twist the aperture ring away from the A and stop it all the way down, then back up. Do this a few times and then move it back to A.

Tell me if the A setting starts to work after that.
03-02-2016, 01:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
One last thing I can think of...

You may need to twist the aperture ring away from the A and stop it all the way down, then back up. Do this a few times and then move it back to A.

Tell me if the A setting starts to work after that.
Still doesn't work.

---------- Post added 03-02-16 at 01:13 PM ----------

Good news, or bad news, the same thing is happening with my da 35. Way under exposed and the aperture doesn't change when looking at the lens and taking a picture. Even on auto mode the pictures are underexposed. But my da 35 seems to work fine in lv. I'll check the 77 to see if I get the same results.

---------- Post added 03-02-16 at 01:17 PM ----------

Exposure is fine in live view with both the 35 and 77.

Last edited by Another dyemention; 03-02-2016 at 01:17 PM.
03-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well sounds like you have an issue with the camera then, Not the lens.

As Na Horuk was hinting at, you could have mounting issue.

Here is what my guess is.

1) Lens is not mounted (broken mount, contacts, etc)
2) Aperture lever is broken (this is the little arm that hits your blade lever on your lens)
3) Meter is dirty or broken (less likely)
4) Other body issue / setting issue

Make sure you don't have any funky settings configured, even a master reset is suspect, so double check EVERYTHING.
If you can, try your lens on another body

Personally, I don't the lenses are the problem. Maybe you will be in line for the new K-1?
03-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
With the camera pointed at the vertical blinds covering my back sliding glass door and r camera set to auto, thought the vf the settings are:
1/200 f1.8 and Iso 100
Through live view:
1/80 f2.5 iso 2000
I don't get it. I double checked every single setting and everything looks good.
03-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you have a custom focusing screen?
03-02-2016, 02:50 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I agree

QuoteOriginally posted by Another dyemention Quote
With the camera pointed at the vertical blinds covering my back sliding glass door and r camera set to auto, thought the vf the settings are:
1/200 f1.8 and Iso 100
Through live view:
1/80 f2.5 iso 2000
I don't get it. I double checked every single setting and everything looks good.
By any chance is the optical viewfinder image not clear (appears out-of-focus)? Are you still shooting with a K-50? If so, you may be experiencing the mirror controller/aperture controller issue that afflicts the K-30 and K-50 models. If you are still under warranty, repair will be covered. If not, the cost will be about $250 USD.

Steve
03-02-2016, 02:50 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I agree

QuoteOriginally posted by Another dyemention Quote
1/200 f1.8 and Iso 100
Through live view:
1/80 f2.5 iso 2000
By any chance is the optical viewfinder image not clear (appears out-of-focus)? Are you still shooting with a K-50? If so, you may be experiencing the mirror controller/aperture controller issue that afflicts the K-30 and K-50 models. If you are still under warranty, repair will be covered. If not, the cost will be about $250 USD.

Steve
03-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #13

Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the camera and lens mounts.

You can also check the lens aperture is working off camera by looking into the lens and stopping down the aperture.
03-02-2016, 03:26 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here are two samples. First one taken through the VF and second taken with LV.

---------- Post added 03-02-16 at 03:36 PM ----------

Don't mind my dirty sensor btw oops. Anyhow, for both shots, the meter was right in the center.
So to clarify everything:
Through the VF, the metering looks to be correct. 1/250, 1.8, 100 should be ok for this picture.
Through LV. To get the meter to be centered, I have to drop the SS down from 1/250 to 1/10.
Another thing I've noticed when looking at the lens to see if the aperture changes, when in live view, the aperture will open to whatever I have the camera set at but immediately stop all the way down to 22. So if I have it at 1.8 and like a 5 second shutter, it'll open to 1.8 and close back down to 22 for the remainder of the shot.
Whereas when shooting through the VF, it never opens and stays at 22 regardless of my setting. Unless of course I physically set the aperture on the lens.

---------- Post added 03-02-16 at 03:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I agree

Steve
No it seens normal far as I can tell.

---------- Post added 03-02-16 at 03:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by screwdriver222 Quote
Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the camera and lens mounts.

You can also check the lens aperture is working off camera by looking into the lens and stopping down the aperture.
It seems to be working as it should.

Last edited by Another dyemention; 08-05-2017 at 12:46 PM.
03-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Also, the green button metering works fine. This picture was taken with the same settings as the first one but using the green button to set the shutter speed..which it set to 1/250 btw

Last edited by Another dyemention; 08-05-2017 at 12:46 PM.