Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SDM Blues?

Hi while shooting with my K3II & DA*300 today,suddenly when I pressed the focus button it sounded like a Harley!! Turned it off/on & back to normal..is this a sign the SDM if failing,or is my K3II jealous I ordered a K1
Thanks

03-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Let the K-3ii know that you'll still give him love when his younger (but bigger) brother arrives and everything will work fine

Maybe ask @UncleVanya about failing as I believe he has experience with this
03-02-2016, 12:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

let me ask you, how long has it been since you used the lens?

I ask because there supposedly is a capacitor in there that once depleted will give you that terrible noise. Supposedly you just need to attach it to your camera, turn it on, and let it set for a few min before using.

I make it a point to attache my 50-135mm at minimum every two weeks to keep it charged. I don't want the sudden draw of power to kill my SDM.
03-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
let me ask you, how long has it been since you used the lens?

about 12 hours use it daily 100's of shots off about once a week when 150-450 goes on(if light permits )

I ask because there supposedly is a capacitor in there that once depleted will give you that terrible noise. Supposedly you just need to attach it to your camera, turn it on, and let it set for a few min before using.

that may be it..thanks

I make it a point to attache my 50-135mm at minimum every two weeks to keep it charged. I don't want the sudden draw of power to kill my SDM.

about 12 hours use it daily 100's of shots off about once a week when 150-450 goes on(if light permits )
that may be it..thanks

03-02-2016, 03:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have no experience with failing SDM oddly. My lenses have all (knock on wood) continued to work. My 50-135 was a "failed sdm" from ebay but I revived it with a simple trick I read about. My guess is the capacitor thing might have been related. However I do not revive it and have had zero issues with it.

That said I do convert lenses for people from SDM to Screwdrive so if you have problems feel free to reach out to me. It's easy enough to do for yourself if you have the equipment (the right older body ) and the technical savvy to edit a text file. It is pretty easy - I'm just trying to help the folks who do NOT have access to older equipment and want their lenses to AF.

I converted my 16th lens or so today. I have never converted the DA* 300 but the process is the same as the DA* 200 which I have done.
03-02-2016, 05:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have no experience with failing SDM oddly. My lenses have all (knock on wood) continued to work. My 50-135 was a "failed sdm" from ebay but I revived it with a simple trick I read about. My guess is the capacitor thing might have been related. However I do not revive it and have had zero issues with it.

That said I do convert lenses for people from SDM to Screwdrive so if you have problems feel free to reach out to me. It's easy enough to do for yourself if you have the equipment (the right older body ) and the technical savvy to edit a text file. It is pretty easy - I'm just trying to help the folks who do NOT have access to older equipment and want their lenses to AF.

I converted my 16th lens or so today. I have never converted the DA* 300 but the process is the same as the DA* 200 which I have done.

Hi thanks I see how it behaves..use it for birds so af must be as quick as possible..
03-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Hi thanks I see how it behaves..use it for birds so af must be as quick as possible..
From my own testing on my own lenses I have not seen much difference between the two methods. If anything the SDM was slower on the 50-135 I tested with. There are some comparisons out there on youtube - my guess is there is little difference. Failing SDM can get quite slow so it may be hard to "know" for sure that a comparison had been done with a fair test (working SDM vs. working screwdrive).