Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2016, 11:55 PM   #1

S2 Super Mirror Raises with Shutter Advance

I've recently brought my great uncle's S2 Super back from the dead and have run some film through it to discover that now the mirror is raising when the film is cocked. I've recently tried to contact Eric, the gentleman that everyone recommends but I hear he's in the hospital (get well soon!) does anyone have any alternate suggestions? I was told by one camera shop that the repair would be greater than what the body is worth, but I find that hard to believe, especially with the sentimental value. Thanks and glad to be here!

03-03-2016, 12:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

One of my K2s does the same. It's caused by the innards being gummed up and requires a fairly extensive strip down and clean to fix. It is quite expensive but look at it this way - any of the cameras you could buy cheaper from ebay etc may well have the same problem or worse, and they didn't belong to your great uncle.
03-05-2016, 04:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find that sentimental value adds significantly to the price I am prepared to pay for repair.

Sad to hear Eric is laid up - hope he's well soon and back doing what he loves! (I gather from the PF interview he gave that he is also training an apprentice, which is good news. He can't be all things to all (wo)men forever.)
03-21-2016, 12:57 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
One of my K2s does the same. It's caused by the innards being gummed up and requires a fairly extensive strip down and clean to fix. It is quite expensive but look at it this way - any of the cameras you could buy cheaper from ebay etc may well have the same problem or worse, and they didn't belong to your great uncle.
Precisely! I'm invested in it. I'd love to have it for June and July, when I make a trip to Paris and Barcelona, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Frustrating! I guess I'll send it out and hope for luck!

Thanks for your replies.

03-21-2016, 01:39 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thegarethjones Quote
Precisely! I'm invested in it. I'd love to have it for June and July, when I make a trip to Paris and Barcelona, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Frustrating! I guess I'll send it out and hope for luck!

Thanks for your replies.
I don't know Eric's recovery schedule but before you send your S2 elsewhere I suggest you find out. He was supposedly in PT rehab until the end of March, then home. Once he receives a camera it normally is back in a couple weeks.
03-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don't know Eric's recovery schedule but before you send your S2 elsewhere I suggest you find out. He was supposedly in PT rehab until the end of March, then home. Once he receives a camera it normally is back in a couple weeks.
Excellent! Thanks for that! I'll definitely send it his way, then!
03-22-2016, 12:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I get the impression that he may find himself with quite a backlog when he does return to work.
03-22-2016, 03:46 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I get the impression that he may find himself with quite a backlog when he does return to work.
That man just has to go to sleep and there's a backlog. I know we honour him with our custom and he's really good, but there's only so much one man can do and we don't want to break the poor fellow.