Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2016, 06:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Glue Recommendations for 150-450 hood

As I previously noted my hood for the 150-450 was damaged (apparently by TSA agents, not sure how else). Anyway there is a crack in the hood that I'd like to repair, so I'd like to repair it permanently without doing further damage. Recommendations for glue?

03-04-2016, 06:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My experience trying several adhesives on photo-plastic, specifically a Pentax strobe, was discouraging. Superglue, modeling cement and epoxy I've tried did not bond reliably, in some cases not at all. Also, you are trying to bond two long thin surfaces edge-to-edge, very difficult as there's insufficient surface area.
03-04-2016, 06:52 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Marketplace Reseller

Loctite Epoxy Plastic Bonder from Loctite Adhesives
03-04-2016, 06:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter

The proper way to 'glue' plastic is with the correct solvent glue. A solvent glue actually melts the plastic allowing it to flow together and form a bond-less joint. Regular glue might work but you will always have the glue bond which can over time crack again, particularly if there is any flex in the materiel which there will be in the hood.

Unfortunately we do not know exactly what type of plastic the hood is so finding the correct solvent glue might be hard. There are two readily available, one is called model airplane glue or cement. And the other is pipe solvent glue which is available in formulations for ABS, CPVC and PVC plastic pipe.

If it were me I would test a small place on the crack with one of those and see if the plastic softens. If not, then it may be a plastic that cannot be solvent welded. If that is the case you will have to fall back on regular glue. For that you can try a gel cyano-acrylic or perhaps an epoxy.

Wish I could be more help, but without knowing the plastic type it will be trial and error.

03-04-2016, 07:04 PM   #5

Whatever you decide upon, I would apply it to the indlside if possible. It will prevent further seperation and be as inconspicuous as possible. Then again, you could wrap the entire hood in the colored gaffers tape of your choice and create something unique! 😊
03-04-2016, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #6
Marketplace Reseller

Pentax lens hoods are polycarbonate. The Loctite I linked above, an epoxy methacrylate mix, is the most easily found adhesive that will bond polycarb.

Lexan or Weld-on are good but you need to find a specialized plastics dealer like TAP, etc.
03-04-2016, 08:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
As I previously noted my hood for the 150-450 was damaged (apparently by TSA agents, not sure how else). Anyway there is a crack in the hood that I'd like to repair, so I'd like to repair it permanently without doing further damage. Recommendations for glue?

I would suggest jb weld or this Loctite Epoxy Plastic Bonder from Loctite Adhesives

The biggest problem is the thickness of the lens hood and the surface area for the epoxy to hold onto. My suggestion is before trying to glue to two parts of the crack together, head up to USA Hobbies in Castleton and pick up some thin styrene sheet plastic to also make an inner liner for the hood to help hold it together. If you can get the black styrene that would be best but if you need to get white, you can always paint it.
03-04-2016, 09:58 PM   #8
Emperor and Senpai

Definitely an epoxy. I use epoxy for cosplay prop making and it is really strong and bonds to about anything. Make sure you do it inside the hood and rough things up a little.

03-05-2016, 01:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's really a shame that a replacement hood PH-RBA86 isn't a viable option as the cost is astronomical and/or unavailable. There aren't many generic 86mm diameter telephoto hoods, and then there is the issue of compatibility to attach it to your zoom.

Whenever I've tried various adhesives on polycarbonates, it either eventually failed, or looked really ugly. If you clean the hood really well with rubbing alcohol, a matte black 1" or 2" camera tape could do the trick.
03-05-2016, 04:18 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
It's really a shame that a replacement hood PH-RBA86 isn't a viable option as the cost is astronomical and/or unavailable. There aren't many generic 86mm diameter telephoto hoods, and then there is the issue of compatibility to attach it to your zoom.

Whenever I've tried various adhesives on polycarbonates, it either eventually failed, or looked really ugly. If you clean the hood really well with rubbing alcohol, a matte black 1" or 2" camera tape could do the trick.
There is an 86mm diameter rubber hood available @ B&H for only $11, but it isn't very deep. There is also an 86mm metal hood, much deeper, for $82. These are both thread-on, not bayonet.
03-12-2016, 04:59 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
I would suggest jb weld or this Loctite Epoxy Plastic Bonder from Loctite Adhesives

The biggest problem is the thickness of the lens hood and the surface area for the epoxy to hold onto. My suggestion is before trying to glue to two parts of the crack together, head up to USA Hobbies in Castleton and pick up some thin styrene sheet plastic to also make an inner liner for the hood to help hold it together. If you can get the black styrene that would be best but if you need to get white, you can always paint it.
Thanks everyone!