Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2016, 07:50 PM   #1

Cleaning dot/dust

How can I remove this dot/dust?, I tried using a vanguard blower but it didn't disapper. I'm using Pentax K-30. Thanks in advance.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
03-05-2016, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The general procedure is: in-camera SR -> blower -> static brush -> swabbing -> professional cleaning. Stop at any step along the way once you see the dust is gone Also, if you're not comfortable cleaning your camera's sensor on your own, don't hesitate to skip straight to the professional cleaning. Most camera stores can do it, since it's not a brand-specific procedure.

Here are some tips:
Cleaning Your DSLR Sensor - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-05-2016, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe the K-30 has the Dust Alert function. Very useful and recommended procedure to visualize where the dust specks are on the sensor.

Last edited by photolady95; 03-05-2016 at 08:55 PM.
03-05-2016, 08:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Could be a spot on the camera side of the lens too. I have had that before, cleaned it up and good to go

03-05-2016, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Use the Pentax sticky wand
03-05-2016, 08:57 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no basis to compare Vanguard to Giotto Large Rocket Jet, but based on my very favourable experience with the latter, I would think trying it before more intrusive actions may be a reasonable approach. Others may have used both and hopefully can chime in.
03-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Use the Pentax sticky wand
Is this what you're referring to???

Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1

03-05-2016, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #8

Just to confirm, you were aiming the blower at the bottom center of the sensor, correct? The image comes into the body upside down. It also helps to make sure you've got the camera body facing upside down so that any dust inside the body can fall outward as you use the blower.
03-05-2016, 11:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Mirror up when you use the blower, obvs, and yes, if the speck appears at the "top" of the image, it's actually at the "bottom" of the sensor, per @Architecture .

If you have to go further than blowing, personally, I've used the Eclipse cleaning kit to great effect. Fast and simple.
03-06-2016, 06:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use the blower vigorously, if not use the sticky wand from Pentax or the equivalent. Lastly if that doesn't work wet clean. Just bear in mind the more time you clean the sensor by dragging something across it the more chance for scratching it,no matter what you use to wet clean it with, remember to blow it clean first .
03-07-2016, 12:08 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you for all the recommendations. I'll try the Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1.
03-08-2016, 02:43 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just so you know if that doesn't work,I have on quite a few occasions used q-tips and alcohol. Or if that scares you I have also just fogged up the sensor by breathing on it and then using a q-tip to clean it with. Be advised do this at you own risk, Also always always use the blower first whether you use q-tip or swabs.
03-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It seems that a Q-Tip would be an easy way to potentially scratch the sensor (or really the filter in front of the sensor).

Sometimes, distilled water works for cleaning if alcohol doesn't. It has to do with the charge of whatever particles might be "stuck" to the sensor? I usually use the Eclipse kit mentioned earlier in the thread with the distilled water or alcohol.
03-09-2016, 03:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
It seems that a Q-Tip would be an easy way to potentially scratch the sensor (or really the filter in front of the sensor).

Sometimes, distilled water works for cleaning if alcohol doesn't. It has to do with the charge of whatever particles might be "stuck" to the sensor? I usually use the Eclipse kit mentioned earlier in the thread with the distilled water or alcohol.
Yup any time you clean a sensor by wet cleaning it you run the chance of scratching it ,weather you use a swab of q-tips
03-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I believe the K-30 has the Dust Alert function. Very useful and recommended procedure to visualize where the dust specks are on the sensor.
K-3 has Dust Alert but K-30 doesn't. It's a great feature.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The general procedure is: in-camera SR -> blower -> static brush -> swabbing -> professional cleaning.
The idea with the brushes is that you give them an electrostatic charge with compressed air first, so that they pick up the dust with minimal touching of the sensor. Of course you need high quality brushes like these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/574321-REG/Visible_Dust_4139290_1_1_6x..._Cleaning.html
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Use the blower vigorously, if not use the sticky wand from Pentax or the equivalent.
I use one of the equivalent sticky wands: DSLR Camera Sensor Cleaning | Dust-Aid (Nothing to do with Bob Geldof.) Their starter kit includes swabs for wet cleaning too.

I'd echo the warnings about keeping wet cleaning as a last resort. I scratched a sensor once, even though I was really trying to be careful.

One more tip. A loupe with LED lights really helps you see what you are doing. I've got a cheap one, and it's handy, but the best ones are those that have a cutout in the side to accommodate the brush or swab, like the one in this kit: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/896235-REG/Lenspen_nsklk_1_SensorKlear_Loupe_Kit.html

Last edited by Des; 03-10-2016 at 02:37 PM.