Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help needed regarding possible lens elements clean up. Pentacon 135mm.

I bought a Pentacon 135mm F2.8 today, the 15 blades blinding me to the haze?/fungus? on the glass. It takes photographs but I'm wondering if I can dissemble the front and rear lens elements easily to clean the glass. It would be nice to know that the lens will then perform nearer it's original potential.
Both elements have what appears to be slotted and threaded rings holding them in. I have not yet tried to undo these as I see there are "lens spanners" on Ebay and might just order one if the removal of the glass is easily possible.

I have a zoom lens with fungus that will also be tackled at a much later date but only when I have a success or two with simple cleaning. Next up will be a Pentax 50mm F2. If I get this Pentacon done.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
03-07-2016, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent collection of fungus!! One of the best I have ever seen.

Not familiar with that lens so not much help with disassembly. However, those slots are indeed for a 'lens spanner' On simple lenses all that is needed is to unscrew that ring and the element is free to drop out.

Take photos of each step as you work through the process. Lay out a sheet of white paper or a towel and place each part in sequence as you take it out. Take care to make sure you know which side of an element goes which way. They don't work well when put in backwards. (don't ask how I know that) Photograph each step!!

I have had good luck removing the remains of fungus by just using alcohol. There might be something better, but that has worked for me.

In a pinch I have used dividers (artists compass?) as a spanner with success but eventually bought the lens spanner as it is more adaptable.
03-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Excellent collection of fungus!! One of the best I have ever seen.

Not familiar with that lens so not much help with disassembly. However, those slots are indeed for a 'lens spanner' On simple lenses all that is needed is to unscrew that ring and the element is free to drop out.

Take photos of each step as you work through the process. Lay out a sheet of white paper or a towel and place each part in sequence as you take it out. Take care to make sure you know which side of an element goes which way. They don't work well when put in backwards. (don't ask how I know that) Photograph each step!!

I have had good luck removing the remains of fungus by just using alcohol. There might be something better, but that has worked for me.

In a pinch I have used dividers (artists compass?) as a spanner with success but eventually bought the lens spanner as it is more adaptable.

Thanks for your reply. I am a little confused with the rear lens element fixing, there are two threaded rings (inner and outer), I am assuming it would be the inner ring I try to unscrew? I am also assuming it would unscrew anti-clockwise (counter-clockwise). Any ideas?
03-07-2016, 12:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
Thanks for your reply. I am a little confused with the rear lens element fixing, there are two threaded rings (inner and outer), I am assuming it would be the inner ring I try to unscrew? I am also assuming it would unscrew anti-clockwise (counter-clockwise). Any ideas?
Not a lens I am familiar with so take this with caution.

Looks like there is an inner and outer. Possible the outer unthreads a whole group (several elements in a package) and the inner takes apart the group. If the fungus is only on the element shown in the picture I would try the inner first and leave everything else intact if possible. My first rule of lens repair: never take more apart than you have to. But I am a complete amateur.

Should be counter-clockwise. But you cannot be positive.

03-08-2016, 12:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not a lens I am familiar with so take this with caution.

Looks like there is an inner and outer. Possible the outer unthreads a whole group (several elements in a package) and the inner takes apart the group. If the fungus is only on the element shown in the picture I would try the inner first and leave everything else intact if possible. My first rule of lens repair: never take more apart than you have to. But I am a complete amateur.

Should be counter-clockwise. But you cannot be positive.

Thank you, lens spanner ordered.
03-13-2016, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Nice flairy beast this one. I liked it even though i gave it away to a friend eventually.

I have already serviced this lens so if you encounter any problems or if you have questions let me know. It should be a pretty straightforward dis-assembly with a lens-spanner.

To clean the fungus off, use alcohol or acetone, I am using ROR (Residual Oil Remover) but alcohol or acetone should work well. Unfortunately, with this level of infestation, expect some coating damage and/or other traces. If using alcohol, clean interior walls of the lens as well, because fungus has settled in there as well. Alternative is to expose it to the sun (UV) for a while.
03-13-2016, 01:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Audi 5 cyl Quote
Nice flairy beast this one. I liked it even though i gave it away to a friend eventually.

I have already serviced this lens so if you encounter any problems or if you have questions let me know. It should be a pretty straightforward dis-assembly with a lens-spanner.

To clean the fungus off, use alcohol or acetone, I am using ROR (Residual Oil Remover) but alcohol or acetone should work well. Unfortunately, with this level of infestation, expect some coating damage and/or other traces. If using alcohol, clean interior walls of the lens as well, because fungus has settled in there as well. Alternative is to expose it to the sun (UV) for a while.

Thank you for your offer, I shall ask when I have a problem. I was going to just try cleaning the lenses with a lens cloth, not sure how to procure the right alcohol as I've read that some can further damage coatings. I assume there are coatings.
If the fungus is alive I shall expose it to sunlight and hope it dies off.

03-13-2016, 02:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
Thank you for your offer, I shall ask when I have a problem. I was going to just try cleaning the lenses with a lens cloth, not sure how to procure the right alcohol as I've read that some can further damage coatings. I assume there are coatings.
If the fungus is alive I shall expose it to sunlight and hope it dies off.
I think your version is coated but not multi-coated. That being said, I think you can use anything like isopropyl, ethanol or even distilled water but I suggest you use a liquid that can dissolve any kind of fungal lipid residue. Also, always wipe, never rub, and never wipe the dry surface of a lens.
03-23-2016, 02:13 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lens elements have been dismantled and cleaned. The fungus just wiped off with a lens cloth. Unfortunately the tool I bought (cheapish on the auction site) does not maintain the lugs in parallel well and the lens being hard to unscrew (due to age?) meant a couple of slips out of the indents. Oh well, a cheap lens, now to see if there is a substantial difference in the images now the fungus is gone.
I'm not confident with taking a lens apart, worrying that I might cause more damage with my ineptitude and poor hand control. Maybe I should invest in a better tool.
Thanks to all who contributed help with this.