Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2016, 02:27 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I have the RX 100 mkIII and my wife has the mkI. We both usually use our dslrs but those little pocket cameras are very nice. I was concerned about image quality particularly for agency work but they have taken about 200 images from the RX100 with no complaints. There is not the leeway in processing you get from the k-3, but if exposure is correct the results are top notch. Very nice jpegs and they shoot RAW as well.

Another thought would be a Q. I know there are rumors it might go away, (not IMHO) but even if it does you are still good for 5 years.

I think the most important thing is to get her something she will actually USE. Image quality and just about everything else should be secondary. You could get her a 645z but if she won't carry it then whats the use?

You might let her handle your gear and she how she does. Maybe ask her to take some shots of you or something. Watch and see if she feels comfortable, ask her to change lenses. If she is OK with that then fine, if she freaks then maybe a smaller camera is better.
That's great to know, thanks for sharing! That Sony sounds great, I guess better than my Oly. I'm thinking of replacing it with a Panasonic LX100 but I need to save more hehe.

I definitely get what you say, it's been happening to myself; I use my XZ-2 more often than any of my bigger cameras.
And it's a good idea!! I'll let her use my cameras and see her reaction with each type =D

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
You're asking probably the wrong person.
I entered into DSLR on my own, and back then I had no idea that Pentax even exists. Upgrading from small p&s cameras I was looking for something small and comfortable. I wanted small mirrorless Canon, but the model I wanted did not have flip screen, and I wanted that. (don't ask why, I was really clueless about what I want)

Then I spotted SL1 at the store, played with that and instantly fell in love with its size and weight with kit lens and especially with pancake lens, BUT I had no idea about tele zooms yet.
So, I bough it with kit and pancake. It is really nice camera, but then I added zoom 55-250 and it became not so light and somehow not well balanced to me.

I discovered Pentax and bought used K200D. And then I realized that size& weight matters, but only if you know what you need.
Then I got more lenses for Pentax and K5iis, and my Canon became a secondary camera.

Don't understand me wrong, I still believe that SL1 is very good choice, especially for kids. But I prefer Pentax. So, you are asking the wrong person.

P.S. what I like about both system is the menu navigation, easy to get into.
SL1 is not significantly smaller than K-50, but lighter, and it feels in comparison. However, after Pentax cameras I don't like "cheap" feel of Canon (not talking about FFs here).
Hehe I think I fully understand you because I went through something very similar, starting in Canon with a T3i, built a small lens collection, and then "switched" to Pentax with my beloved K-01 and slowly began collecting lenses, and I say it like that because I still have my Canon gear.. totally with you on the cheap feel compared to Pentax. I'm now about to get a K-S2 because I need a WR body and will get the K-1 but until next year I think.

---------- Post added 03-07-16 at 03:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
+1 for the Sony RX100. As indicated above, get one of the earlier versions. I have the iii, got that version for the EVF, love it. It goes everywhere, great IQ, shoots RAW if desired, very useful zoom range, fantastic low light Zeiss 1.8. Your price range would allow for the M1, every bit as great, minus a couple of bells and whistles.

BTW, if your mom decides she really wants to move into DSLR later, she can still keep this for pocket use.

And someone else in the family can get her this case. High quality, fits like a glove, good protection:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-LCJRXF-Premium-Jacket-Black/dp/B00KOUIC0Q/ref=pd_...7VB9RCM5JH183W
Thanks Kath, +1 for the Sony. I'll be checking out the prices when I get home.
Oh and the case looks fantastic, I'll convince someone hehe.

03-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
And what you end up with is guilt on one side for not using such a lovely gift, and disappointment on the other that their lovely, thoughtfully purchased, expensive gift isn't used and appreciated more.
Yep, if she did not show the strong intend to move from sell phone to cameras and lenses, it may be the case.
Ones when I told my husband that I (me-myself-on my own) plan to find new P&S camera, he bought Nikon for my BD. I needed to pretend that I like it, but I hated that camera soooo much! It will keep me away from any Nikon probably forever.
03-07-2016, 05:08 PM   #18
mee
Veteran Member

A few years ago, after my retired Dad (who owned a dusty closet kept semi-auto Nikon SLR) saw what I was doing with my DSLR, he said he wanted a DSLR too. Top of his wishlist for Christmas one year. He REALLY wanted it (or so he told us). Since he was familiar with the Nikon name, we bought him a D3100 kit.

He used it a couple of times, then told me he felt intimidated by it and instead went back to using his little Point and Shoot for images. The 600 dollar gift (now worth half that) sits in the closet next to his other Nikon kit.. well until he gave the old SLR to me recently. I don't think he has the patience to learn how to properly use the DSLR. He came to me a couple of times for help. I explained the basics of getting a proper exposure and what all the modes mean. Over his head and he didn't seem to want to invest any time in trying to learn it.

I wouldn't get her a big DSLR unless shes serious about wanting to learn how to use it. Otherwise all those buttons and dials will just confuse and/or intimidate her. I'm in the group that suggests getting her a nice compact. Esp since she is familiar with a pocketable cellphone. That giant DSLR body and lens might be too much.
03-07-2016, 06:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
BTW, Fujifilm FinePix S1 seems like an interesting camera for flowers and butterflies, and it's weather sealed.

03-07-2016, 08:42 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
IMHO, K-S2 looks nice and seems compact enough.
03-08-2016, 08:15 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
This!

Why?
I am an older female and a few of my friends have been given DSLRs or micro 4/3 as they have commented on or admired either my or someone else's photos, or the relative has simply thought it a good idea that they have a new interest. The camera has then been pretty much unused as the recipient either has little interest and/or prefers an iPhone or p & s and/or has been totally intimidated by the DSLR.

And what you end up with is guilt on one side for not using such a lovely gift, and disappointment on the other that their lovely, thoughtfully purchased, expensive gift isn't used and appreciated more.

If she's not terribly interested, then those little clip-on lenses (under $100) for the iPhone really do get some amazing pics...and if you can help her upgrade to a phone with a 12mp camera then so much the better! (heresy to say on a photo forum, I'm guessing).
snpsht, I think you're right. I don't want her to feel that way, and actually use the camera that I get her, whatever that is. I'll try getting more from her letting her use my cameras or asking my sister to ask her something. And she doesn't have an iPhone [Android] but that's also a very good idea! Let's see what intel we can get out of her =]

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
A few years ago, after my retired Dad (who owned a dusty closet kept semi-auto Nikon SLR) saw what I was doing with my DSLR, he said he wanted a DSLR too. Top of his wishlist for Christmas one year. He REALLY wanted it (or so he told us). Since he was familiar with the Nikon name, we bought him a D3100 kit.

He used it a couple of times, then told me he felt intimidated by it and instead went back to using his little Point and Shoot for images. The 600 dollar gift (now worth half that) sits in the closet next to his other Nikon kit.. well until he gave the old SLR to me recently. I don't think he has the patience to learn how to properly use the DSLR. He came to me a couple of times for help. I explained the basics of getting a proper exposure and what all the modes mean. Over his head and he didn't seem to want to invest any time in trying to learn it.

I wouldn't get her a big DSLR unless shes serious about wanting to learn how to use it. Otherwise all those buttons and dials will just confuse and/or intimidate her. I'm in the group that suggests getting her a nice compact. Esp since she is familiar with a pocketable cellphone. That giant DSLR body and lens might be too much.
Oww.. it's too bad he didn't use it after all. I guess everybody does that with different things, too bad cameras are expensive. My brother wanted soooo bad a certain game too, so I bought it for him, and it's there collecting dust hehe. Oh well.. like I mentioned, I'll ask her indirectly and see if she shows interest in a dSLR, see what happens next.

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
BTW, Fujifilm FinePix S1 seems like an interesting camera for flowers and butterflies, and it's weather sealed.
It's weather sealed?? That sounds good, I'll take a look. I'll also take a look at the Pentax WG cameras [although I'm not very sure about the IQ].

QuoteOriginally posted by rafaelt Quote
IMHO, K-S2 looks nice and seems compact enough.
Another option in the list, thanks =]
03-08-2016, 08:43 AM   #22

Photos: Albums
Just a thought on the weather sealing. I obviously don't know your mom but, mine would not be out in any situation that would require weather sealing. I know WR has it's advantages other than rain but, honestly, if I was buying for a mother and needed to decide what was important and what wasn't, WR would be one of the things I would comfortably cross off my list of needs. I need to say though, I think it's special you want to do this for your mother. It's a very expensive gift and to give it so thoughtfully and freely is warming. The urge to spend extra money on ones self (LBA) is strong.

03-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Navmaxlp Quote
Just a thought on the weather sealing. I obviously don't know your mom but, mine would not be out in any situation that would require weather sealing. I know WR has it's advantages other than rain but, honestly, if I was buying for a mother and needed to decide what was important and what wasn't, WR would be one of the things I would comfortably cross off my list of needs. I need to say though, I think it's special you want to do this for your mother. It's a very expensive gift and to give it so thoughtfully and freely is warming. The urge to spend extra money on ones self (LBA) is strong.
Hi Nav. Oh, well I know what you mean with the WR being too much, but I don't mean she'll be out in a tropical storm, but simply if it's very very humid or light rain, that's enough to put any electronic away. My mum goes to a butterfly sanctuary, the zoo [and it's not a zoo like you'd think a zoo is, like a city for animals, it's more like a ranch], and sometimes even the rain forest, nothing too extreme hehe but again, the WR is just so that she can feel comfortable using the camera anytime =]
I'm glad it makes you feel that way, maybe you do something similar hehe. Yeah, it's a bit expensive but now I can afford something like this and she deserves that and more. After all, she's my mom. [What's LBA?]
03-08-2016, 03:38 PM   #24

I agree with the sentiment that a DSLR is not for everyone. i've purchased DSLRS for two people who ended up not using it. I think you're looking for something with good image quality and DSLR-like controls so that if she ever wants to transition into a DSLR, it won't be intimidating. By DSLR controls, I'm thinking of a thumbwheel equivalent to change aperture/shutter speed. Personally, I'm liking 1-inch sensors or m4/3rds for their smaller size, but the price is higher and I don't think that the RX100 has a good interface. It has a thumbwheel that rotates tangential to the body, not into the body. The best thing that comes to my mind is the Pentax Q for its controls, but it has a 1/1.7" sensor. The Fuji X30 has nice controls too, but it's also a smaller sensor. You might be better off waiting for the price of a used LX100 to drop, but personally, I hate the power zoom. You can either try to get something that won't drop too dramatically in price (if you want to sell it/trade it if she doesn't use it), or pick up something used so that it has already depreciated a bit and you won't be too disappointed if she doesn't use it.
03-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Its not a pentax, but i recommend the sony a5000. Its not complicated, easy to use on the p+ mode, and allows for some growth if she wants to try different lenses. Its my travel camera when i go to amusement parks, or away for my job, which include tropical/ humid locations. It has a flip screen if you wanted to take pictures of yourself, and it renders some decent jpegs, including low light.
03-10-2016, 06:58 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ppppsssstttt Quote
I agree with the sentiment that a DSLR is not for everyone. i've purchased DSLRS for two people who ended up not using it. I think you're looking for something with good image quality and DSLR-like controls so that if she ever wants to transition into a DSLR, it won't be intimidating. By DSLR controls, I'm thinking of a thumbwheel equivalent to change aperture/shutter speed. Personally, I'm liking 1-inch sensors or m4/3rds for their smaller size, but the price is higher and I don't think that the RX100 has a good interface. It has a thumbwheel that rotates tangential to the body, not into the body. The best thing that comes to my mind is the Pentax Q for its controls, but it has a 1/1.7" sensor. The Fuji X30 has nice controls too, but it's also a smaller sensor. You might be better off waiting for the price of a used LX100 to drop, but personally, I hate the power zoom. You can either try to get something that won't drop too dramatically in price (if you want to sell it/trade it if she doesn't use it), or pick up something used so that it has already depreciated a bit and you won't be too disappointed if she doesn't use it.
Pppsssttt.. I think I'm going for a premium compact, even with a smaller sensor -almost sure of it, but first I'm going to take my mom taking some pictures this weekend, see what type of camera she prefers =]

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Its not a pentax, but i recommend the sony a5000. Its not complicated, easy to use on the p+ mode, and allows for some growth if she wants to try different lenses. Its my travel camera when i go to amusement parks, or away for my job, which include tropical/ humid locations. It has a flip screen if you wanted to take pictures of yourself, and it renders some decent jpegs, including low light.
Hi Fcsnt! Thank you for the kind suggestion, I've always been curious of Sony cameras, but I don't think I'll go there for two reasons, first, maybe it won't be a dSLR after all [we'll see this weekend] and second, I couldn't lend her any lenses, so if it were a dSLR, it should be Pentax or Canon. Do you have any posted pictures, taken with your Sony?
03-10-2016, 07:08 PM   #27
mee
Veteran Member

Taking your Mom out to shoot pictures is a fine idea.. see if she really gets into the DSLR or not. If you have a compact or a P+S of some sort, I'd also carry it along. The only issue with those is the lesser IQ due to the smaller sensor size. But it shouldn't be that big of a deal unless she plans to print huge. Plus if it is a difference between not shooting at all and shooting, then the compact wins.
03-10-2016, 11:48 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Taking your Mom out to shoot pictures is a fine idea.. see if she really gets into the DSLR or not. If you have a compact or a P+S of some sort, I'd also carry it along. The only issue with those is the lesser IQ due to the smaller sensor size. But it shouldn't be that big of a deal unless she plans to print huge. Plus if it is a difference between not shooting at all and shooting, then the compact wins.
Yeah, I'm doing exactly that! a big camera and a small one. The one with the smaller sensor is still quite good, let's see if she prefers an OVF or a screen.. and now that I think about it, I'll have to take the Canon, not the Pentax.. yikes! The smaller camera has great IQ for a compact anyway, so it'll be fine.
The difference between shooting and not shooting could also be decided by rain.. and the compact loses. I've been there, it's so sad haha.
03-12-2016, 12:50 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Hi Fcsnt! Thank you for the kind suggestion, I've always been curious of Sony cameras, but I don't think I'll go there for two reasons, first, maybe it won't be a dSLR after all [we'll see this weekend] and second, I couldn't lend her any lenses, so if it were a dSLR, it should be Pentax or Canon. Do you have any posted pictures, taken with your Sony?
Its compact and not that large, and they have adaptors if you wanted her to use your lens. but i havent needed to use other lenses with this one. here are a couple of example shots
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-5000  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-5000  Photo 
03-18-2016, 07:11 AM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Its compact and not that large, and they have adaptors if you wanted her to use your lens. but i havent needed to use other lenses with this one. here are a couple of example shots
Nice pictures! The second seems to be black and white but there's some purple/magenta tinge here and there.. was it shot at very high ISO?
Anyway, I think she's going for a compact, so adapter and lenses are not a concern anymore hehe.

Edit: Duh, never mind, there's the Show Exif button. ISO 3200 and there's also green in the grass, so yeah, it's not actually B&W like the other =]