Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2016, 01:29 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K3 image captured almost entirely vivid lime green was group photo in dark room

Wanting to take a quick family photo in a poorly lit restaurant but the image captured was almost entirely vivid lime green both as jpeg and Raw. Tried turning camera off changing to Auto etc but whilst the display showed the picture before capture the resulting image remained lime green. However I had used the camera successfully earlier that day and again later that afternoon. Fortunately I had my old K-x in the bag so got a photo so have included it for example of what the K3 image should have looked like! Any Ideas?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
03-08-2016, 01:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

one thought: the RAW file uses the embedded JPEG as preview -- did you actually *open* the RAW file? Or just look at it on the desktop?

M
03-08-2016, 01:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Didn't something vaguely similar to this come up recently, and it ended up being the memory card? Once replaced, everything was fine again... I may be wrong, but...
03-08-2016, 01:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have seen a lot of posts about similar issues, seems in some cases the issue is caused by a corrupt SD card. Perhaps reformat and try again, or better yet swap it out with another one to see if its the problem?

03-08-2016, 02:23 PM   #5

Original Poster
Both SD cards corrupt?

I use the capture jpeg to card slot 1 and Raw image to card slot 2 and the images appear the same when viewes in Digital camera Utility for the Raw and any photo viewer for the jpeg. I was able to take photos later without touching either SD card.
03-08-2016, 02:30 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dudley Dorite Quote
I use the capture jpeg to card slot 1 and Raw image to card slot 2 and the images appear the same when viewes in Digital camera Utility for the Raw and any photo viewer for the jpeg. I was able to take photos later without touching either SD card.
Hmmm. That is a little weird. Is your firmware up-to-date? There's a small possibility that this is a rare known issue that has already been dealt with in newer firmware... Otherwise, I think you're looking at a watching brief to see if it happens again. If it doesn't, it could have been a one-off glitch in the camera and most likely nothing to worry about. If it does happen again, you might have to consider sending the camera for service (under warranty if still covered)...
03-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Mike firmware appears to be the latest. I hoped I would be able to trace the problem to something stupid I was doing. Intermittent faults are the worst because you never know if you have fixed them!
03-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might try contact cleaner in case the camera has some issues with the card pins. The method I have used for similar electronic problems was to spray the plugin device lightly with contact cleaner and then insert, remove and insert again several times. If you don't have contact cleaner you could try isopropil alcohol - rubbing alcohol without any additives.

03-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Another SD card slot cleaning option is something like this:

Amazon.com: Laserline Clear Connections 4-in-1 Memory Card Slot Cleaner: Computers & Accessories
03-08-2016, 03:36 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Mike firmware appears to be the latest. I hoped I would be able to trace the problem to something stupid I was doing. Intermittent faults are the worst because you never know if you have fixed them!
I don't think you're doing anything stupid I know intermittent faults are the worst, but I think it helps to bear in mind that all computer-based systems - particularly those interfacing with individually complex hardware systems - are capable of occasionally-strange behaviour. My background, many years ago, was in software development, and I can honestly say I don't believe there is an operating system, piece of software, or piece of hardware that has been developed to be 100%-guaranteed fault-free. Development budgets just don't allow for that. As a result, bugs do rear their heads - sometimes rarely, other times more regularly. It really could be that you've simply experienced one of those - but, if I were you, I'd keep your K-x handy just in case... and if the problem happens again, decide what to do at that stage.

Good luck and let us know how you get on?
03-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #11

What brand of SD cards are you using? Also, you have reformatted them both in camera and in a computer?
03-10-2016, 09:49 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
What brand of SD cards are you using? Also, you have reformatted them both in camera and in a computer?
and preferably in the opposite order. I find that cards repaired with SanDisk software and others, or formatted in my laptop, worked better in the K10D if I formatted it in camera. I haven't had card troubles with the K3. Yet. It will happen. I use the camera; I don't decorate my hands with it.

---------- Post added 2016-03-10 at 09:51 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I don't think you're doing anything stupid I know intermittent faults are the worst, but I think it helps to bear in mind that all computer-based systems - particularly those interfacing with individually complex hardware systems - are capable of occasionally-strange behaviour. My background, many years ago, was in software development, and I can honestly say I don't believe there is an operating system, piece of software, or piece of hardware that has been developed to be 100%-guaranteed fault-free. Development budgets just don't allow for that. As a result, bugs do rear their heads - sometimes rarely, other times more regularly. It really could be that you've simply experienced one of those - but, if I were you, I'd keep your K-x handy just in case... and if the problem happens again, decide what to do at that stage.

Good luck and let us know how you get on?
I am there. Computer geek at least half time since the middle 1970's. And still am. The operating system with which I had the least troubles was OS/2. Of course it disappeared quickly.
03-12-2016, 03:25 AM   #13

Original Poster
Many thanks for everyone's suggestions, I have formatted a Sandisk Extreme 32 gb 90mbs card in the computer and again in card slot 1 for Raw in the camera. I have also formatted a 16 gb Sandisk Ultra 30mbs in computer and acain in card slot 2 for jpegs to see if the problem still exists after recurring problems last night on the K3 using Lexar professional 633x 64GB in slot 1 and Lexar professional 1000x 16gb in slot 2. I find it strange that sometimes it fires up and the pictures are totally green and other times it fires up and takes pictures normally. I would have thought any corruption would have remained once exhibited but I have good picture bad pictures good pictures bad pictures ..... and the output is the same on the card in slot 2 for jpeg and the other card in slot 1 for Raw! Today just a thin green horizontal segment appeared in one shot.
03-12-2016, 09:59 AM   #14

Original Poster
Problem persists, return to retailer for repair. Looks like a communication problem to the SD card rather than the SD card
03-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Problem persists, return to retailer for repair. Looks like a communication problem to the SD card rather than the SD card
Sorry to hear that... but, in a way, this a good thing... A problem that repeats itself allows for investigation, fault-finding and repair - rather than an occasional occurrence that only happens every few weeks or months. Good luck with it.