Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2016, 09:15 PM   #1

What can cause adapted lens to not focus (all of a sudden)?

Hi,

I just got in one of these Canon FD-to-K-mount adapters (http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Mount-Adapter-Pentax-Camera/dp/B0095OODVO) a little while ago, and when I first tried it with a 50mm Canon FD lens about a week ago, it seemed like it was working ok. Then, I tried it again tonight, with my K-r (the same camera I tried it with before) and it just won't focus at all now.

I'm 100% sure the lens itself is ok, because when I put the lens back on my old Canon Ftb, it focuses fine.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this?

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic. I've messaged the seller (on Ebay) about this, but I was hoping that someone here might have some idea what could cause this or maybe how to fix it?

Thanks,
Jim

03-08-2016, 09:35 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it is the same model - note that it has a built in 1.4x teleconverter that is removable. Is there glass in your adapter? FD to K only works with the glass if you want to focus beyond macro. The glass is generally poor quality and ruins the image from the FD lens additionally they take away a stop. So a 35mm f2 becomes a 52mm f2.8 and the crop factor makes that behave like a 78mm on 35mm film in terms of angle of view.
03-08-2016, 09:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If it is the same model - note that it has a built in 1.4x teleconverter that is removable. Is there glass in your adapter? FD to K only works with the glass if you want to focus beyond macro. The glass is generally poor quality and ruins the image from the FD lens additionally they take away a stop. So a 35mm f2 becomes a 52mm f2.8 and the crop factor makes that behave like a 78mm on 35mm film in terms of angle of view.
I was looking at it, and I can see the ring with the notches in it and was wondering if there should be some glass in there, but "No" there isn't any glass lens.

That would explain why it would only focus at about 1" or so !!

I'll message the seller again and find out what is going on !!

Thanks,
Jim
03-08-2016, 10:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ohaya Quote
I was looking at it, and I can see the ring with the notches in it and was wondering if there should be some glass in there, but "No" there isn't any glass lens.
Next question...where is the glass?

Do a careful inspection of the mirror box in your camera to make sure it is not in there.

Steve

03-08-2016, 10:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Next question...where is the glass?

Do a careful inspection of the mirror box in your camera to make sure it is not in there.

Steve
I don't think it's in there. I've written to the seller.

Jim
03-08-2016, 11:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

There should be a retaining ring that you unscrew to remove the lens (see page 2 in the user documentation).

Kind of scary that the ring and lens should drop out unnoticed. If it's like the version 1 of my "glassless" Minolta adapter the lens and ring would come off on the lens side of the adapter and shouldn't end up in the mirror box. Then again it may not have the same design. And of course, being glassless, my adapter lacks the lens and retaining ring (normally glued in) to begin with.

Last edited by Not a Number; 03-08-2016 at 11:54 PM.
03-09-2016, 02:51 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There should be a retaining ring that you unscrew to remove the lens (see page 2 in the user documentation).

Kind of scary that the ring and lens should drop out unnoticed. If it's like the version 1 of my "glassless" Minolta adapter the lens and ring would come off on the lens side of the adapter and shouldn't end up in the mirror box. Then again it may not have the same design. And of course, being glassless, my adapter lacks the lens and retaining ring (normally glued in) to begin with.
Hi,

Sorry. I may've said something to confuse you all.

The retaining ring is there, still screwed in. There is no lens, but I don't know if there ever was one in there. As far as I remember, there wasn't a lens, at least in the time I've had the adapter.

I've written to the seller, to ask him/her if there was a lens there before I got it.
03-09-2016, 07:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

If there was no optical element the only way it could focus is close-up or "macro" - you must not have tried to focus on anything past say 4-6 inches.

03-09-2016, 07:53 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If there was no optical element the only way it could focus is close-up or "macro" - you must not have tried to focus on anything past say 4-6 inches.

I know that this sounds dumb, but I don't know if I did try it earlier or not, other than mounting it on a camera with the FD lens. And yes, now, it only focuses like a couple of inches.
03-09-2016, 04:00 PM   #10

Original Poster
All's well!!

Hi,

You all will think I'm going crazy (possible), but I had vaguely recalled POSSIBLY removing the lens when I first got the adapter, to see how it worked for macros.

So I just got home and ran around trying to figure out (a) IF I did remove the lens and (b) where I might have put the lens, and VOILA, I just found it !!!

Later,
Jim
03-09-2016, 04:02 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi,

You all will think I'm going crazy (possible), but I had vaguely recalled POSSIBLY removing the lens when I first got the adapter, to see how it worked for macros.

So I just got home and ran around trying to figure out (a) IF I did remove the lens and (b) where I might have put the lens, and VOILA, I just found it !!!

Later,
Jim
*slow clap*
03-09-2016, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi,

Later,
Jim

Quite a saga, Jim.

I have a (likeable) accountant who, um, operates like you.

Very stressful for the two of us!
03-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Ha ha! I guess a "senior member" is allowed his/her "senior moments".

Of course when you get to be a plain old senior like myself those moments happen with alarming frequency - at least the times you can remember them.
03-10-2016, 10:35 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Good, now you can try to use the lens. I'm afraid it will disappoint you with that glass added in the light path. It is the only way to use it - but you may be better off buying the pentax equivalent and selling the FD to a mirrorless user.
03-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Good, now you can try to use the lens. I'm afraid it will disappoint you with that glass added in the light path. It is the only way to use it - but you may be better off buying the pentax equivalent and selling the FD to a mirrorless user.
Now that you mention it, I think that was why I removed the lens: I think I tried it originally and focus was really "soft" so I took the lens out to see how the FD lens would work for macro, and then... I forgot about all of that ...

Jim