Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2016, 06:46 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Ok, with the camera in M mode set the aperture ring to f22. Look through the front of the lens and press the green button. Does the iris stop down fully? Does it stop down when you actuate optical DOF preview?

When mounted on the K1000, aperture set to f22 does it stop down when you release the shutter?

03-12-2016, 02:35 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Again the way the K1000 meters is completely different - it meters wide open and then senses the aperture ring position. That is completely different from the DSLR method. The first thing I would suggest is dial it to f/16 or so and point it at yourself when pressing the green button while looking down the lens (or in a mirror with sufficient light). Is the aperture diaphragm closing correctly?

EDIT - just saw above response - sorry to state the same thing - whoops!
03-12-2016, 03:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I would not bet on this, but to me it looks like the mount is painted. I would take a sandpaper and remove the silverish protective paint on the place where the contacts on the camera should touch the mount. I reckon that the color under the paint is copperish and that green button metering will work after such modification.

If you decide to act upon this suggestion, please take care and protect your lens with cotton against dust or remove the mount for this operation.
03-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Easier then that - put a piece of aluminum foil over the pins before mounting the lens.

03-13-2016, 04:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You are amazing, guys! I would never have thought that but the alu did the trick
Whats next on the agenda? protecting the glas and use sandpaper on the k-mount ring of the lens?! haha incredible. Thank you so much! What a community!

Last edited by i5_david; 04-29-2016 at 01:41 PM.
03-13-2016, 04:18 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
You are amazing, guys! I would never have thought that but the alu did the trick
Whats next on the agenda? protecting the glas and use sandpaper on the k-mount ring of the lens?! haha incredible. Thank you so much! What a community!
Happy this worked but be cautious, if alu foil reaches the metal parts of the aperture actuating lever, you can say goodbye to it. Enjoy your lens
03-13-2016, 04:59 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Audi 5 cyl Quote
Happy this worked but be cautious, if alu foil reaches the metal parts of the aperture actuating lever, you can say goodbye to it. Enjoy your lens
So, I took the lens off and used sandpaper to get rid of the painted layer. Now this lens is working as all my other M Glas using the green button method. Thanks so much!
03-13-2016, 05:15 AM   #23

Hi,

I'm still a newb, but that last shot showing the aperture ring doesn't have an "A" setting (for automatic), so that lens is not an automatic aperture K mount (K-AR?)?

In other words, it's equivalent to a "-M" K-mount lens.

I didn't think a "-M" lens would work with the green button, so now I'll be interested in responses?

Thanks,
Jim

EDIT: Oops - missed the rest of the thread - so, BTW, instead of aluminum foil, a more semi-permanent (and neater) approach would be to use a small piece of copper tape (with adhesive on one side).

03-13-2016, 05:20 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ohaya Quote
I didn't think a "-M" lens would work with the green button, so now I'll be interested in responses?
The green button method is a really convienent way to handle M lenses. It stops the lens down to the set f-number and measures the light in that moment so you actually only have to handle the focus
03-13-2016, 06:10 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Auto aperture means it has a stop-down lever to automatically stop-down the lens when you take the exposure. Prior to auto-aperture you had to manually open the lens to make focusing and composing easier and then stop the lens down to take the exposure. The step between full manual lenses and "auto" were pre-set lens. These had two aperture rings - one which was linked to the iris and one the provided a stop at the select f-stop. For instance if you wanted f8 you would set both rings to f8, then turn the linked ring to wide open to focus and compose. To shoot turn the ring again until it hit the pre-set stop. This saved you having to count clicks or moving the camera in order to see the aperture settings. Screw mount lenses with an Auto/Man switch was so you could use these lenses on earlier bodies without the auto aperture mechanism.

Green button or stop-down metering via DOF preview is essentially the only way you can use M or K series lens. You could shoot in Av but only with the lens wide open.

BTW you only need to remove the paint/coating over the "data" pin (pin closest to the screw drive).
03-13-2016, 06:48 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Auto aperture means it has a stop-down lever to automatically stop-down the lens when you take the exposure. Prior to auto-aperture you had to manually open the lens to make focusing and composing easier and then stop the lens down to take the exposure. The step between full manual lenses and "auto" were pre-set lens. These had two aperture rings - one which was linked to the iris and one the provided a stop at the select f-stop. For instance if you wanted f8 you would set both rings to f8, then turn the linked ring to wide open to focus and compose. To shoot turn the ring again until it hit the pre-set stop. This saved you having to count clicks or moving the camera in order to see the aperture settings. Screw mount lenses with an Auto/Man switch was so you could use these lenses on earlier bodies without the auto aperture mechanism.

Green button or stop-down metering via DOF preview is essentially the only way you can use M or K series lens. You could shoot in Av but only with the lens wide open.

BTW you only need to remove the paint/coating over the "data" pin (pin closest to the screw drive).

Ahh. Ok, now I remember (yes, I have some/both -A and -M K-mounts as well as M42s with the auto/manual slider) how it works!

Thanks for the reminders...

Jim