Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2016, 03:19 AM   #1

K-r viewfinder not showing info

Hi,

When I'm using my k-r, I can see the view fine through my viewfinder, but the illuminated green info bar is completely missing. I'm not aware of any setting I've changed, and can't seem to get the info on the viewfinder back.

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks!

03-13-2016, 04:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have the K-r right here to check. Did you read the manual? There is an online pdf version that you can easily search on computer or smartphone

Edit: and one more thing. You didn't by chance add a viewfinder loupe or aftermarket viewfinder rubber? Those things can cut out the viewfinder info

Last edited by Na Horuk; 03-13-2016 at 05:02 AM.
03-13-2016, 06:52 AM   #3
Forum Member

don't have a k-r but I do have a nikon D1H and a D2H which are actually pretty simple to dismantle.
The worst thing about doing any work on them is dealing with the rubber grips as they are a mess and can be a swine to reposition (also replacing the double sided adhesive is tricky - use the 3M stuff).

I loked at the manual for the Kr and all the settings look similar to me K7 which I can't find a way to turn it off. Looking at the K parts diagram the viewfinder lcd is at least a 2 part assembly the actual screen and a driver circuit. If yours is dead it could be either.

Depending on how brave you feel (and I have never done this to any of my pentaxes as they are not 15 years old like my D1H ) but it looks like the viewfinder back is just two screws. It MIGHT be possible to carefully remove the viewfinder back lens unit (could require taking off the popup flash) and it might be possible to use a cotton bud or something very soft and better still lint free (wrap the cotton bud in a small cutting from a microfiber cloth and attach it securely to the bud) and try to carefully touch the viewfinder lcd if visible - it could be just moved slightly and a loose connection. Do not try to force anything, just try to nudge the finder to see if it flickers.
If this is the case it might reposition itself but the cause of this would probably be a loose screw to the lcd unit - which would need fixing eventually. On the Nikons as they age the thread sealant used on some screws (like the metering switch) dries and allows the screw holding it to loosen - of course this is a mechanical part and subject to repeated stress which hastens the loosening not at all like the lcd in a viewfinder.

If you don't want to splash out on a K-R replacement from ebay and are feeling brave I would get an old non-working unit from fleabay and try a step by step dismantle/rebuild in stages. that is to say take a part apart and put it back together - DO NOT JUST DISMANTLE THE WHOLE CAMERA THE FIRST TIME - YOU WILL REGRET THIS :-)

If you do try to dismantle anything - TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES AS YOU GO AND WORK ON A TABLE WITH A LIP (or place a barrier along the edge) to stop screws rolling off and as you take out screws use tape to keep them together and write on each piece of tape the location of the screws. You might be lucky this might not be working but the viewfinder from the lcd might still work.

There is a German guy on youtiube that replaces the shutter unit on his D2H which will give a good idea of what you are facing. While not the same it could be instructive as to the types of units, tools and internal obstacles (like the special yellow tape used to hold circuit boards etc. in place).

Sorry this wasn't more helpful but it might be some help.

There are some parts retailers around but they don't have a great deal of stuff, like my D1H ebay is the main source of any parts.

Of course any of this must be at user's own risk :-)

Cheers

P.S. you will need some simple tools like a philips head, and a small hard plastic scrapper (even the top from a bic pen) can help to gently lift up rubber grips that might be covering screws etc. Micro-Tools - Micro-Tools has lots of tools for cameras/watches/jewelry (no affiliation) even if you do not purchase from them it will give you an idea of the range of tools you might needd A small loupe at least 5X might come in handy to get a good view on smaller components.