Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2016, 12:44 PM   #1

K10D point of focus not conserved?

Hi.
I do have the K10D with the kit lens DA 3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL.
I have spot metering activated, the red blinking square is visible in the oculair.
My manual says: when focusing is ready, a blackish sign becomes steady in the mid of the function rule (below the scene looked at) and a signal is given.
Both occur.
The manual says: keeping the release button halfway down, this focus is fixated when pointing the camera to another point in the scene.
In my camera this does not work: when i move the camera a bit to one side (side does not matter) and another point of the scene is in the middle of the viewfinder, the blackish marking begins blinking and the camera is focusing again.
Note: while doing this i keep the shutterbutton depressed halfway (a bit more pressure and the shutter releases).

What do i do wrong, what do i understand wrong, is my camera failing or is it a Pentax problem..??

Thanks
lowlandspentax

03-13-2016, 01:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Is AF set to AF-S (left side of lens mount)?
03-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #3

If in AF.S your method should work. In AF.C it will re-focus when you recompose.

Check out this thread...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/68268-af-c-af-s.html
03-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
No, it is set to AF-C.
Is this the cause of my problem?

lowlandspentax

not read yet, but thanks to jaremart

03-13-2016, 01:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lowlandspentax Quote
I have spot metering activated, the red blinking square is visible in the oculair.
My manual says: when focusing is ready, a blackish sign becomes steady in the mid of the function rule (below the scene looked at) and a signal is given.
Here are few bullet points:
  • The red dot indicates the active focus point only
  • The green hexagon and "beep" from the speaker indicates focus has been attained
  • AF-S mode provides focus lock once focus is attained
  • AF-C mode does not lock focus and allows exposure even when focus has not been attained
  • Maintaining focus point on half-press requires that focus must be attained (green hexagon) with the camera in AF-S mode.

So...to use the center point for focus and recompose:
  • Set the mode to AF-S (switch on side of camera)
  • Set the focus point to center/spot
  • Frame your subject at center and half-press the shutter release
  • When you see the green hexagon and hear the beep, maintain the half-press and recompose
  • Full press the shutter button to take the photo
I hope this helps

Steve

(...used this technique for many years on my K10D and continue to use it on my K-3...)
03-15-2016, 02:06 AM   #6

Original Poster
Your (all three) answers solved my problem.
I have seen it works for me now.

Thanks for the friendly and helpfull answers!!

lowlandspentax