Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2016, 05:33 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Isolated Incident

I was out with my K-3II the day before yesterday. I was shooting some of the birds that were feeding in a marsh. Everything had been going smoothly. Then I pressed my shutter button down and this noise like a small motor started and I could hear/feel this type of thunking, then it stopped after about 5 seconds. I tried 2 or 3 more shutter actuations and it did the same thing. I powered off, took my battery out, put the battery back in, and powered up. It did not occur any more for the rest of the day, taking a hundred or more shots. I did tests with my focus, it seemed alright, and the images I got after I powered up were fine, with excellent detail in even 80-100 yards away with my Sigma 150-500. I bought the camera in 10/2015 brand new, and have my warranty along with the Pentax extended two year warranty. I am happy that the symptom did not repeat itself, and on one hand I am thinking if it is an isolated incident, and the essential functions are performing alright, I may just keep shooting with it as long as it does not occur again. If it does, I will send it in for a checkup/possible repair covered by warranty. Is anyone familiar with such a behavior, and should I be concerned with possible damage even while still having essential functions?

Last edited by C_Jones; 03-13-2016 at 06:00 PM.
03-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Runaway mirror? Unless your camera is new old stock, it should not have had the susceptible hardware components, but that does not mean that things can't go wrong. I would not wait for a third occurrence, unless you have reason to think that your battery may have been a possible cause (brand-x, grip w/AA, low charge, etc.). It may be time to give Pentax a call.

Steve
03-13-2016, 07:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter

In the k-5 this type of behavior gradually got worse until repair was required.

In the k-3 I do not think it has been more than isolated incidents. At least I have not seen any reports that it has been a problem. I have had something similar on my k-3 maybe twice since I bought it in 2013. So far on the k-3II I have had the runaway mirror thingy once. If it occurs more often or starts to be repeatable then I would make sure it went in under warranty. But for only one incident I would just monitor it. I would check your warranty date (you did get the extra 2 year extended Pentax one, right?) and make a note of it so you can send it in before that expires. The extended gives you a free cleaning anyway that you need to send the camera in for.
03-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I had a Pentax battery in it that had plenty of power. I had an occurrence of a mirror flap that would not stop with a K-20D, and I removed the battery and it stopped. With my K-3II, what I heard was like the motor struggling and like a "thunk, thunk, thunk" of something moving. It stopped by itself, unlike the K-20D mirror flapping. With the K-3II, I tried about three shots with it, and each time it would do what I described for about 3-5 seconds, then stop. Then, after that happened, I powered off, then turned it back on, it worked alright, then I powered off again, removed the battery, reinserted it, turned the camera on, and it had no problem for the rest of the day. It did not continue like the mirror flap did, it would stop about 3-5 seconds after each shutter press (shot). The thunk, thunk, thunk was unlike the mirror flap also. My K-3II is out of the serial number range of the "could not power off" problem also. I may contact Pentax customer service tomorrow and ask them what the safest step would be for me to take.

03-13-2016, 07:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I may contact Pentax customer service tomorrow and ask them what the safest step would be for me to take.
Do post back and let us know what they say.
03-13-2016, 07:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
In the k-5 this type of behavior gradually got worse until repair was required.

In the k-3 I do not think it has been more than isolated incidents. At least I have not seen any reports that it has been a problem. I have had something similar on my k-3 maybe twice since I bought it in 2013. So far on the k-3II I have had the runaway mirror thingy once. If it occurs more often or starts to be repeatable then I would make sure it went in under warranty. But for only one incident I would just monitor it. I would check your warranty date (you did get the extra 2 year extended Pentax one, right?) and make a note of it so you can send it in before that expires. The extended gives you a free cleaning anyway that you need to send the camera in for.
I was thinking about monitoring it also. Like I said, I bought my K-3II in 10/2015, and have both my Pentax 1 year and Pentax Extended 2 year warranties (3 year total) so I have coverage. I was thinking along the same line of when I send it in for the cleaning, that it would include an inspection. If I have reoccurrences of what I described while monitoring it during use, I will just send it in with a description of the symptom.

---------- Post added 03-13-16 at 11:01 PM ----------

I will contact Pentax customer service tomorrow to see what my next step should be (to be on the safe side).

---------- Post added 03-13-16 at 11:02 PM ----------

Thanks to you both.
03-14-2016, 02:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I contacted Pentax customer service today, who are always helpful. As I thought would happen, I was essentially told I could monitor it, or send it in. I sent it in.