Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2016, 04:47 AM   #1

How to place the lens, mount side up or glass side up ?

If I need to place lens in a dry cabinet vertically, which way is better ? mount side up or glass side up? thanks.

03-14-2016, 05:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Whatever side provides the securer stand - usually mount side up. :-)

Last edited by othar; 03-14-2016 at 05:38 AM.
03-14-2016, 05:19 AM   #3
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Always glass side down. It's more stable that way.
03-14-2016, 05:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Just to confuse the issue, SDM * lenses like to be stored mount down so gravity helps the micro motor wake up.

03-14-2016, 06:08 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Just to confuse the issue, SDM * lenses like to be stored mount down so gravity helps the micro motor wake up.
Source?
03-14-2016, 06:23 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you still have the original packaging, how did the manufacturer do it?*

* For instance, my FA50/1.4 was horizontal.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-14-2016 at 09:29 AM.
03-14-2016, 06:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Source?
Personal experience with slowly failing SDM.

03-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #8

Depends on the lens. Some have a tendency to get oily blades if kept mount down. Some are just the opposite. And i have a Kiron zoom that the element of the front group gets hazy if I store it glass down after a few years.
03-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I would go front down with the lens cap on and no rear lens cap if the object of the exercise is to dry out damp lenses in a cabinet with dessicant.
03-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #10
Forum Member

I store most of mine on their side. If you have caps on both ends of the lens, it really shouldn't matter.
03-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Personal experience with slowly failing SDM.
Unless you have had multiple samples of the same lens to test this with randomly I would be surprised to find this is a real effect and not just random chance. I can think of no reason why the orientation of the lens would aid or hamper the SDM motor - particularly since in normal use it is horizontal not vertical.
03-14-2016, 02:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I remember a statement by someone who repairs lenses that you would not have oil on the aperture blades if you stored the lens correctly. Unfortunately I can't remember whether that meant mount side up or down. I subscribed to this thread as soon as I saw it, hoping someone would know.
03-15-2016, 03:53 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, there are several points to consider.
In your post you don't say whether both front and rear caps are fitted and what sort of lens it is.

Consider this:
If you must stand up a lens rather than lying it on its side it would always be better to give it the most stable foundation, namely the side of the lens which has to largest diameter and in my experience this will always be the front of the lens. Since the front surface of most lenses is recessed doing this without the cap should not be a problem. However leaving the rear cap off in this position is a big mistake, even more so if the lens is a zoom. Why ?
For the same reason you do not place the camera down with the lens removed and the opening facing up because dust is a bit like snow, it floats down silently and it settles, you know where.

Same with a lens which is standing up with an unprotected mount end. When you now, with all that dust there, mount the lens on your camera it will find a new home inside your camera aided by the turbulence which is created every time the mirror flips up and down. It is even more of a problem with zoom lenses when by way of pumping the zoom in and out dust will not only settle inside the mirror chamber of the camera but also inside the lens. While you may be able to clean the inside of the camera, more or less, you have no chance to remove dust from inside a zoom lens without dismantling it. For this reason NEVER blow the mount end of any zoom lens in an attempt to blow off dust because you blow dust through the gap of the zoom mechanism. This is not so much of a problem with prime lenses.

Cheers and all the best in your, I assume, new DSLR adventure.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 03-15-2016 at 03:56 AM. Reason: typo
03-16-2016, 07:31 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Well, there are several points to consider.
In your post you don't say whether both front and rear caps are fitted and what sort of lens it is.

Consider this:
If you must stand up a lens rather than lying it on its side it would always be better to give it the most stable foundation, namely the side of the lens which has to largest diameter and in my experience this will always be the front of the lens. Since the front surface of most lenses is recessed doing this without the cap should not be a problem. However leaving the rear cap off in this position is a big mistake, even more so if the lens is a zoom. Why ?
For the same reason you do not place the camera down with the lens removed and the opening facing up because dust is a bit like snow, it floats down silently and it settles, you know where.

Same with a lens which is standing up with an unprotected mount end. When you now, with all that dust there, mount the lens on your camera it will find a new home inside your camera aided by the turbulence which is created every time the mirror flips up and down. It is even more of a problem with zoom lenses when by way of pumping the zoom in and out dust will not only settle inside the mirror chamber of the camera but also inside the lens. While you may be able to clean the inside of the camera, more or less, you have no chance to remove dust from inside a zoom lens without dismantling it. For this reason NEVER blow the mount end of any zoom lens in an attempt to blow off dust because you blow dust through the gap of the zoom mechanism. This is not so much of a problem with prime lenses.

Cheers and all the best in your, I assume, new DSLR adventure.
Thanks for your information. Specially I'm blow clean my lens (include the zooms) on both end every time after use, and seems I'm doing something wrong !!
03-16-2016, 07:48 AM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I keep my lenses in my bag when not in use, and I put them in mount down. I always have covers on both ends. I actually never thought if this was right or wrong; so am glad this thread was started.