Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #16
mee
Veteran Member

I lay mine on their side while in the cabinet. Otherwise, in the backpack they are on the front element side down with a cap on. If I'm in the field with a sling bag its the other way around since I only have the lens hood on the front (no caps).

03-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read a few other forums responses on these with other brands of lenses. With older Nikkor F series lenses they recommended using front side down because of migration of grease. Doing this they said would have grease migrate to the helicoid away from the aperture blades and reduce blades becoming oily. Also most if not all manufacturers hard or semi-hard cases have a cut out for the rear cap at the top - not the other way around. Overall the conclusion reached by most forums is to store lenses front element down - primarily for stability - they will not fall over easily this way. However it is clear from all the reading that there is no universally accepted camera manufacturer recommended method.
03-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Depends on the lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Overall the conclusion reached by most forums is to store lenses front element down - primarily for stability - they will not fall over easily this way. However it is clear from all the reading that there is no universally accepted camera manufacturer recommended method.
I think this is basically it. Its a confused issue, but it shouldn't matter if you use the lenses fairly regularly. If they just sit there for years on end, then you should consider such things carefully. Is the barrel heavier than the moving, outer element part? Is there lots of grease in the lens? Is there dust in the environment (can enter through the mount more easily than the front element)? How stable is the position in which the lens is put?
I just don't like putting the lenses sideways, because I fear they might roll and fall, somehow. But I don't have very long or heavy lenses. My biggest lens is probably Samyang 14mm, which I store mount side up. It wouldn't be stable the other way
03-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lenses must be like wine. You have to turn them periodically.

FWIW I buy a label on the rear cap of each lens (e.g. K50/1.4) so I can easily see which lens to pull from my bag. This also helps identify them in the dry storage drawer when I load my bag. So I store them face down. I keep track, and if something isn't exercised after 6 months I use it or sell it. I'll have some selling to do after K-1.

03-17-2016, 01:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
FWIW I buy a label on the rear cap of each lens (e.g. K50/1.4) so I can easily see which lens to pull from my bag
cool idea, do we have a thread or a sticky here where we collect those little hacks and tricks?
Or do we have a place to collect solutions to store all those stuff? I am highly dissatisfied with my storage of my camera stuff and I would highly appreciate inspiration
btw, I have them most of the time in my Lowepro. unesed are standing mount down on the shelf...
03-17-2016, 01:45 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
cool idea, do we have a thread or a sticky here where we collect those little hacks and tricks?
Or do we have a place to collect solutions to store all those stuff? I am highly dissatisfied with my storage of my camera stuff and I would highly appreciate inspiration
btw, I have them most of the time in my Lowepro. unesed are standing mount down on the shelf...
I think there are quite a few lens storage threads out there. Look in the lens forum.

I use a Brother P-Touch to make the little labels. Downside is getting the rear cap back on the correct lens. I put it with the front cap, wherever that is at the time.

I store my lenses and cameras in drawers, but I'm a weird case because I semi-collect lenses. I put Sears Craftsman rubber Tool Cabinet Drawer Liner down to keep the lenses from sliding around n
03-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I've been picking up OpTech dual rear lens caps along the way so I can carry more than one lens in each slot in my bag. I also store my smaller lenses (<200mm) doubled-up on these OpTech caps, one lens front-side down, the other lens mount-side down. Anything larger is stored on its front element which is typically much much wider than the mount side.

03-18-2016, 10:56 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I keep all my lenses with the mount side up when the lens is not mounted on the camera.
03-18-2016, 10:57 PM   #24
Forum Member

(Laughing) Fascinating. Long ago I recall a discussion about soft boiled eggs that went along similar lines.😊
03-19-2016, 06:13 PM   #25
Forum Member

Ho hum, I've always kept my lenses mount side down - in my carry bag. No reason why, just seemed to be sensible.

Thinking about it, it would be better to have them lens side down, then it's just pick up, remove rear cap and mount - rather than pick up, rotate, remove rear cap and mount.

Decisions decisions.