Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2016, 05:18 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1
Rechargeable lithium batteries

Just tried some new rechargeable lithium batteries in my wife's Pentax DSLR. Got nothing zero zip zilch any ideas?

03-17-2016, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #2
Moderator
Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising PentaxForums and watching your back.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,405
Which camera and which batteries? I use Eneloops in my Pentax DSLRs and they work great.
03-17-2016, 06:23 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 236
I second Eneloops for rechargeable batteries, use them in my flash units and I've never had a problem with them.
03-17-2016, 06:59 AM   #4
Senior Member
jack002's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Missouri
Photos: Albums
Posts: 191
+3 on Eneloops. Best rechargable battery I've ever had.

03-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,284
Were they charged?
Often batteries are not charged straight out of the packet and you have to charge them.
03-17-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,737
Enloops are Ni-Mh not Lithium.
Lithium rechargeable would likely be like the Wasabi or OEM batteries in recent cameras. Charging them fully is recommended - could take 5-8 hours.
There are no AA sized lithium rechargeable batteries recommended for use in most electronics since the voltage of the chemistry doesn't permit 1.5v nominal cells.
03-17-2016, 09:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,098
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Enloops are Ni-Mh not Lithium.
Lithium rechargeable would likely be like the Wasabi or OEM batteries in recent cameras. Charging them fully is recommended - could take 5-8 hours.
There are no AA sized lithium rechargeable batteries recommended for use in most electronics since the voltage of the chemistry doesn't permit 1.5v nominal cells.
Yup. Most Ni-Mh and other AA rechargeables don't provide a full 1.5v either. Many are 1.3v. Eneloops (which I love because they hold a charge and are dependable) are only 1.2v. And many don't realize that a battery "dies" and can't power a device well before 0v. A 12v motorcycle battery, for example, is considered dead when it falls below 11v or thereabouts.

I suspect that AA Lithiums are below the Eneloop's 1.2v and below threshold necessary to power on the camera.
03-17-2016, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle of Siberia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 144
There are rechargeable lithium AA cells with 3.7V output, which usually are paired with AA-sized dummy cells.
I don't know if it's safe to use them in cameras.

Update:
Found a report on successful usage of rechargeable lithium cells in Pentax camera here.


Last edited by ABel; 03-17-2016 at 10:03 AM.
03-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,397
QuoteOriginally posted by ABel Quote
There are rechargeable lithium AA cells with 3.7V output, which usually are paired with AA-sized dummy cells.
I don't know if it's safe to use them in cameras.
Right.
"AA" is a physical size designator and has nothing to do with voltage. I know of no rechargeable lithium AA size batteries in the 1.5ish voltage range. The chemistry doesn't allow it.
I suspect that if a set of 4 of the 3.7V were used, yielding a nominal 14.8V instead of the 4.8V for 4 NmH or 6V for 4 Alkaline, one of 2 things happened. Either the camera has an adequate protection circuit that cut out as designed or the board is now fried.
Does the camera still work with proper batteries?

Here's a good source for some light reading: Battery University

Last edited by Parallax; 03-17-2016 at 10:10 AM.
03-17-2016, 11:12 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,737
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Yup. Most Ni-Mh and other AA rechargeables don't provide a full 1.5v either. Many are 1.3v. Eneloops (which I love because they hold a charge and are dependable) are only 1.2v. And many don't realize that a battery "dies" and can't power a device well before 0v. A 12v motorcycle battery, for example, is considered dead when it falls below 11v or thereabouts.

I suspect that AA Lithiums are below the Eneloop's 1.2v and below threshold necessary to power on the camera.
As indicated in the responses after your post the problem is OVER voltage not under. The Lithium rechargeable cells are 3.7v and that means too much voltage. A dummy AA sized device paired with one would give you 3.7v vs. 3v and two pairs would be 7.4 vs. 6v - depending on the camera's voltage regulation it might work. But at that point you have two small AA sized cells supplying the current for the camera - I don't know how the maH ratings would compare vs. 4 standard Ni-mh cells (typically about 2200-2500 mAH at operational voltages (4 series cells to get voltage).
03-17-2016, 11:15 AM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle of Siberia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 144
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I suspect that if a set of 4 of the 3.7V were used, yielding a nominal 14.8V instead of the 4.8V for 4 NmH or 6V for 4 Alkaline, one of 2 things happened. Either the camera has an adequate protection circuit that cut out as designed or the board is now fried.
A set consisting of two 3.7V cells and two dummies (just AA-size packaged conductors) would give 7.4V - the same voltage as D-Li109 battery.
03-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,397
QuoteOriginally posted by ABel Quote
A set consisting of two 3.7V cells and two dummies (just AA-size packaged conductors) would give 7.4V - the same voltage as D-Li109 battery.
You are correct, but I doubt the OP knew to do that and likely used 4 of the rechargeables.
03-27-2016, 11:58 AM   #13
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 21
RCR-V3 give you 4,2V with no load and 3.2-3.7V with slightly to normal load (i.e. 1-1,5 Amp).
So go for pair of RCR-V3.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
batteries, camera, lithium, pentax help, photography, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rechargeable Batteries - Any Recommendations on a Charger? reivax Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 4 06-25-2015 05:27 PM
Postage of Lithium Batteries by air now banned calsan General Talk 11 03-04-2015 08:54 PM
kx with rechargeable lithium battery tenny52 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 8 01-24-2012 06:37 AM
Batteries - Rechargeable gusser Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 11-14-2010 08:06 PM
Rechargeable batteries? PHOTOCOP Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 18 08-06-2009 04:21 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:03 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top