Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #1

K-50 manual mode problem

I seem to be having a problem with my K-50.
I've been trying to practice shooting in manual mode more, and suddenly have a pesky problem.
I can adjust the aperture and shutter speed with the e-dials, but after taking one picture I can not change settings for subsequent shots. The dials move but the numbers stay the same.
I can turn the camera on and off and then reset the exposure, but of course I do not want to do this for every shot.
It worked properly a week ago, and what I don't know is if I accidentally tripped some setting to cause this, or if my camera has a problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

03-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Im a nooby..........but check to see if you are in the mode that lets you take three photos at once 1 over exposed 1 under exposed and 1 correct . If you don't hold the shutter button down to allow for the three photos the camera still is waiting for the other photos to be taken........That's what happened to me. Just a thought?
03-18-2016, 09:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fastpitchdad Quote
Im a nooby..........but check to see if you are in the mode that lets you take three photos at once 1 over exposed 1 under exposed and 1 correct . If you don't hold the shutter button down to allow for the three photos the camera still is waiting for the other photos to be taken........That's what happened to me. Just a thought?
I'll put that on my list of things to check... I WAS messing with that on my studio camera (the K100D I use to take pictures of beads and pottery I list on Etsy), maybe I played with on my K-50 as well. I have been trying to better learn my setting lately.

Thanks for the suggestion.
03-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I've just tested Exposure Bracketing with my K-50, and it didn't prevent me from changing exposure parameters in between shots (in Av mode, at least).

Does it do the same in green Auto mode? I'd try to at least set parameters to automatic (P mode, single frame drive, auto ISO, auto WB, multi-segment metering, auto AF point) and work it out from there.

03-18-2016, 01:37 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bolimasa Quote
I seem to be having a problem with my K-50.
I've been trying to practice shooting in manual mode more, and suddenly have a pesky problem.
I can adjust the aperture and shutter speed with the e-dials, but after taking one picture I can not change settings for subsequent shots. The dials move but the numbers stay the same.
I can turn the camera on and off and then reset the exposure, but of course I do not want to do this for every shot.
It worked properly a week ago, and what I don't know is if I accidentally tripped some setting to cause this, or if my camera has a problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
My guess would be that instant review is locking up your dials. Either disable/shorten instant review, or half-press the shutter button before adjusting the settings, and hopefully everything will be back to normal

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-21-2016, 04:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you got the exposure lock on. It sounds like it is working in what is called hyper manual mode. Changing shutter and aperture to hold the exposure constant .

Try / check the exposure lock, or press green button again
03-22-2016, 11:27 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies...
I think the answer was that I'd inadvertently stuck my camera in auto bracket mode...
I love my baby~ I'm quite relieved that it's behaving again!