Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2016, 07:07 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks OSV. The Zeiss guidelines were very useful.

03-23-2016, 07:28 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
There is plenty of anecdotal evidence of the benefits of UV irradiation
No scientific evidence though.

I'm not sure how to include a link to my own post in this thread about camera flashes killing mushrooms. After all, camera flashes have UV filters, so they must be capable of producing dangerous doses of UV radiation.
QuoteQuote:
After doing some research with a keyboard, it seem that hot dry air sterilization is the only truly effective way to kill all kinds of spores without using chemicals. https://www.emlab.com/s/sampling/env-report-03-2006.html I can't find any scientific looking reference that suggests UV radiation to kill fungi or their spores; everything points to reducing moisture to the point that the fungi won't grow.
03-24-2016, 04:15 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
No scientific evidence though.

I'm not sure how to include a link to my own post in this thread about camera flashes killing mushrooms. After all, camera flashes have UV filters, so they must be capable of producing dangerous doses of UV radiation.
Thanks for the very interesting thread on how fungi might be affected by UV from flash. None of the respondents had any practical evidence that the UV could harm fungi, mushrooms in particular, so that is reassuring if you're taking photos of them. However, nobody commented on the question I asked in my original thread on whether a UV light bulb could be used to effectively kill an active fungus inside a lens.
03-24-2016, 09:23 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
whether a UV light bulb could be used to effectively kill an active fungus inside a lens
Two things: one, if UV was effective at killing fungi, it would be used to treat mould in buildings and our food supply, along with fungal infections in hospitals, with UV radiation sources far more powerful than grow-op equipment. The only simple non-chemical way to kill fungus is to dry it up. Two, if you don't deal with spores, fungus mortality is temporary. There are millions of spores everywhere, in the air, soil, your clothing, etc. and they can "germinate" in warm, moist conditions years later.

If you have mould inside your lens, dead or alive, it should be disassembled and cleaned. Fungi live on organic material, which could include old dead fungi but not glass and not glass coatings. Dust can also contain organic material. To eat, fungi excrete enzymes and the byproducts of their dining can be acids which etch the coatings and glass.

03-24-2016, 10:40 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't have the guts to dis-assemble my lens to remove the fungus and spores. To send it to a pro to do the job would cost a lot more than the $30 I paid for the lens. I guess I should just keep the lens dry and keep an eye open to see if the fungus is spreading.

Last edited by psoo; 03-25-2016 at 06:34 AM.
03-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #21

I have some lenses that have been in my possession for 30 years and no fungus. I can only guess that because their storage conditions are fairly dry, the fungus has not been able grow. Sunlight would benefit the lens by drying any residual moisture. Dry damp equipment as soon as you get home. I recon that it is likely that lenses with fungus have been stuck up in an attic or in a basement and forgotten for years.

Last edited by pentasonic49; 03-27-2016 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Added content
03-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
I don't have the guts to dis-assemble my lens to remove the fungus and spores. To send it to a pro to do the job would cost a lot more than the $30 I paid for the lens. I guess I should just keep the lens dry and keep an eye open to see if the fungus is spreading.
Which lenses do you have? If they are Pentax manual lenses (either K or M42 mount), they are "usually" not too difficult to disassemble/re-assemble.

I just did my first one, a particularly difficult one because the filter mount ring was dinged and bent, preventing or making difficult the removal of the name ring, and I have to say that the results were pretty satisfying, despite all the work:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/316556-p...ml#post3586344

There are multiple videos and howtos for doing the disassembly.
03-28-2016, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Whenever this pops up, I can never help singing Killing my fungus with UV to the tune of Killing me Softly with His Song. - Sorry to be so trivial, but it's true

03-28-2016, 07:51 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Whenever this pops up, I can never help singing Killing my fungus with UV to the tune of Killing me Softly with His Song. - Sorry to be so trivial, but it's true
You have a very strange imagination !!
03-28-2016, 08:19 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ohaya Quote
You have a very strange imagination
it's served me well so far
03-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ohaya Quote
Which lenses do you have? If they are Pentax manual lenses (either K or M42 mount), they are "usually" not too difficult to disassemble/re-assemble.

I just did my first one, a particularly difficult one because the filter mount ring was dinged and bent, preventing or making difficult the removal of the name ring, and I have to say that the results were pretty satisfying, despite all the work:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/316556-p...ml#post3586344

There are multiple videos and howtos for doing the disassembly.
Hi Ohaya. I have a Tele-Takumar 200mm f/5.6. The fungus appears to be present on several of the interior lens surfaces.
03-28-2016, 12:29 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is usually condensed oil that you are looking at
03-28-2016, 12:33 PM   #28

Showing your age, ffking? Anyway, there are some interesting and informative articles on taking lenses apart in this forum.
03-28-2016, 12:41 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've had a M 100/4 Macro for a few years that has some fungus and it doesn't seem to matter. I'm in a dry climate so it's not growing and I only notice it in photos if light hits the front element directly.
So I just don't worry about it.
03-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just took a photo of what I assume is fungus on my lens. The fine "threads" seem to be how many people describe fungus. Can you experts confirm that is fungus? Is it best to leave it alone and keep the lens dry to prevent it spreading.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo