Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2016, 05:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
PEF or DNG?

I wanna know exact infos about PEF. I don't care about the file size and converting DNG. What does PEF provide compare to DNG?

03-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
I wanna know exact infos about PEF. I don't care about the file size and converting DNG. What does PEF provide compare to DNG?
Not much. Possibly some settings you can duplicate if you use the Pentax software, but most people don't. There are many identical threads, here:

Digital Processing, Software, and Printing - PentaxForums.com

However, when you process PEFs, you will get a little XMP file which contains the processing settings, so you'll want to store that with the PEF file - some file/photo manager software will not see that file. DNG files contain the settings.

Last edited by SpecialK; 03-18-2016 at 06:20 PM.
03-18-2016, 05:22 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are many threads on this subject already, but there's not much of a difference between the two formats. DNG is more universally compatible, since it works without the need for profiles. I'd recommend using that as your default.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-18-2016, 05:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Software may see them differently. Camera model might matter. I use Lightroom 4.4. I use PEF for my K-7 and DNG for the K-5 IIs because I want profiles that LR has for each file type. The Adobe profiles for PEF don't look good to me.

03-18-2016, 05:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used both, when I first got my k-3, I think lightroom didn't read the pef file. Now I use PEF. I see no difference in file size. I don't recall a difference in adobe profiles with k-3 but I could be wrong.
03-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Unless you have a specific reason to use PEF use DNG.
If you use aadobe software definitely use DNG.
03-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Unless you have a specific reason to use PEF use DNG.
If you use aadobe software definitely use DNG.
Actually, with Lightroom PEF is the better choice--see my explanation in this thread.
03-19-2016, 07:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Unless i misunderstood you are saying the only advantage to pef is a 15% file reduction if you then convert the pef to dng?
Won't argue if that is correct i have not tested it. But the small space saving would not be worth the additional time and complexity of converting, to me. If you are space constrained that might be different.

03-19-2016, 08:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Unless i misunderstood you are saying the only advantage to pef is a 15% file reduction if you then convert the pef to dng?
Won't argue if that is correct i have not tested it. But the small space saving would not be worth the additional time and complexity of converting, to me. If you are space constrained that might be different.
There are two advantages: the space saving (I'm not space constrained on my desktop, but I back everything up to the Amazon Prime unlimited photo storage, and the smaller files save time) and more importantly the fact that the Adobe converter adds a checksum to the file, which a from-camera DNG doesn't have. And the process is not at all cumbersome: you set Lightroom's default import mode to "Copy as DNG" and it converts everything automatically (actually it copies the files as PEFs then converts them to DNG in the background).
03-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Yeah I know how the convert works used it when i've shot pef in error. It just a silly amount of time to do the convert on my system.

I convert my Sony raws to dng on import and those take too long as well but i've no choice there.

What is the advantage of the check sum?
03-19-2016, 06:01 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Yeah I know how the convert works used it when i've shot pef in error. It just a silly amount of time to do the convert on my system.

I convert my Sony raws to dng on import and those take too long as well but i've no choice there.

What is the advantage of the check sum?
When there's a checksum Lightroom will be able to flag files that have been altered/damaged, so that you can restore them from backup.