Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2016, 01:58 AM   #1

K-5 IIs - colour problems- when photographing certain colours

Hi I have a K-5 IIs. I have had it for a while but I am still very much a beginner.

I am having problems when I photograph certain colours and I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

I have been trying to take a picture of a throw to sell. No matter what I do I can't get the colour in the photograph to accurately reflect the colour of the item. My mobile phone is picking up the colour better. I have attached both images here so you can see what I am talking about.

I am sure it is something I am doing/not doing as I am so new to this.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks

First picture is from the Mobile - second in from the DSLR

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GT-I9506  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by yas_min; 03-19-2016 at 02:45 AM.
03-19-2016, 02:24 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you shooting in RAW? If no, then do so and adjust white balance in post. Or even adjust individual colors' tone, however this is much more painful process.

Are you shooting with onboard flash? If yes, then remember that camera tends to change WB accordingly.
03-19-2016, 02:38 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hey kay350 thanks so much for your reply.

I am shooting in RAW and JPG but this is the JPG image. I will try and as you suggest and shoot in RAW and try and sort things out in post. Dumb question but if I don't set the white balance as I'm shooting- what should I set the camera to? (I am a real beginner- sorry!). Normally I play around with the white balance until things look ok- then I shoot.

I have tried playing around with the individual colour tones but I couldn't get that to work for me either.

I'm not shooting with a flash at all- so it is not that.

Last edited by yas_min; 03-19-2016 at 02:44 AM.
03-19-2016, 02:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

your white balance is off... If you have photoshop it is easy fix

you can open jpeg image through PS in adobe camera raw and adjust it there or through color balance

Last edited by RAART; 03-19-2016 at 02:51 AM.
03-19-2016, 02:48 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks RAAT.

I have photoshop and I have been trying to fix it but I am really not having any luck. I'm so lost
03-19-2016, 02:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to the EXIF you have set the white balance to manual. If you aren't experienced to set manual white balance I'd switch back to auto
03-19-2016, 02:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Ok then, open PS first and from there go to FILE, then OPEN AS, dialogue will pop up and first locate your file, click once on file or select file and change where is stayin photoshop (next to it) to adobe camera raw and hit ok.

Then adjust with first slider your white balance and when finish hit open image...

03-19-2016, 03:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yas_min Quote
Hi I have a K-5 IIs. I have had it for a while but I am still very much a beginner.

I am having problems when I photograph certain colours and I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

I have been trying to take a picture of a throw to sell. No matter what I do I can't get the colour in the photograph to accurately reflect the colour of the item. My mobile phone is picking up the colour better. I have attached both images here so you can see what I am talking about.

I am sure it is something I am doing/not doing as I am so new to this.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks

First picture is from the Mobile - second in from the DSLR
Played around with your second picture a bit in digiKam. Ended up adjusting blue/yellow color balance about 45 towards yellow and adjusted levels to match contrast in your first image. No worries, the color is in there and not hard to bring out.
03-19-2016, 03:23 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Firstly your second (DSLR) image is over exposed by at least one stop. There is not a thread of detail at all in the white pillows. Secondly, as others have pointed out the white balance is off as well. In phone image the area to the side of the pillows has a green tinge while on the DSLR image the same area is blueish on my monitor. I am not sure how the phone determines colour balance if indeed it does but if the DSLR is on Auto WB it will try to average out the scene. Being predominantly reddish pink, the DSLR will very likely misinterpret this and try to "correct" it. Set your white balance on the DSLR to match the predominant light source. If you are willing to experiment, you can set a manual white balance using a sheet of white paper. Your camera manual will show you how.

Good luck
03-19-2016, 03:57 AM   #10

Original Poster
Hey Newmikey - thanks for that! But the wall and pillows are pink which is not ideal....

---------- Post added 03-19-16 at 10:05 PM ----------

Hi Bruce Clarke - yep the pic is deliberately over exposed. It's a long story (I can explain but I am sure I would probably bore you !)

Yes I have tried setting the white balance manually - it just isn't fixing the problem. Even when I shoot on Auto the colour does not look right. This is why I am confused.
03-19-2016, 04:16 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Bruce Clarke - yep the pic is deliberately over exposed. It's a long story (I can explain but I am sure I would probably bore you !)

Yes I have tried setting the white balance manually - it just isn't fixing the problem. Even when I shoot on Auto the colour does not look right. This is why I am confused.

There is an 'obscure' setting on the K5 IIs Menu item C>2>10 WB Adjustable Range. If set to 1 - Auto Adjustment this can influence the White Balance by adding tone. even on a manual white balance setting. Try setting this to option 2 - Fixed. It may help. It may not in this case. Pentax say this is there to add a pleasing tone to certain images. Exactly what it does is beyond me but with it on I unable to get a grey photo of an 18% grey card. It does seem to affect the average photo that I can see. I have set mine to Fixed
03-19-2016, 04:22 AM   #12

Original Poster
Bruce Clarke - ok thanks I am going to look at that and hopefully that will solve my problem.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out- it is very much appreciated!
03-19-2016, 04:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What custom image is set on your k-5? Bright? Natural, vibrant, reversal film? And what hue and saturation settings?
Try natural with hue+1 or muted with saturation +3.

Regards,
--Anders.
03-19-2016, 04:41 AM   #14

Original Poster
asp1880 I have had to put my camera away (I was starting to feel a touch frazzeled). But I am going to have a look at what you suggest in the morning. I think it is set to vibrant (I can't be sure without checking though) so you could possibly be on to something!

Thanks so much!
03-19-2016, 04:44 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Newmikey - thanks for that! But the wall and pillows are pink which is not ideal....
I'm sure that could be helped, was just trying to do a quickie on the color of the bedspread.