Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2016, 06:25 AM   #31

+1 to center weighted metering. I tried using spot metering for a while and found it was better to go to center for shots like this.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but it might help to set up your cam for back button focus. Be sure you have the setting so the shutter button does not refocus it.

+1 to flash. Just a little fill flash in the first image and you could have easily had the iso at 100 and that would give him a nice catch light in his eyes.

For what it's worth (and I am no expert by any means) I found in pretty much any conditions a little flash can be helpful but it is another dynamic to mess up too. This shot the flash didn't fire so his eyes are way dark and icky shadow under his chin.

This one oops way too much! Up higher in the valley there was way more light and I blew him out.

This is what I want to see. Just a little to brighten his face and put a twinkle in his eye.

You also see shot a bit of a down side to flash in that the fence in the fore ground is light up. It would have been better if I had my flash off cam or turned the cam so the flash was away from the fence but these are just crash test dummy shots scouting the location for future work so they won't be used for anything.

Hope this helps you some and if anyone says anything that contradicts what I said here they are right!

Last edited by charchri4; 03-21-2016 at 06:55 AM.